BOX1

P1000 Sub-Transmission Service

H

HondaTech

The manual doesnt mention that the shift drum has to be spun 180 degrees. If not, when shifted through the range it will allow the fork to drop down and lock the shifter up.

Also the parking shaft location is marked with paint and will almost always be gone by the time you pull it apart. So try to mark it after removing the cover.

The shift drum slot also wont line up perfectly with the mark, one of the manuals (Talon or Pioneer) i cant remember also states the incorrect gear it should be in to line up with that mark.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@GameOverMan look back at this post and study what I"m saying there.

G

GameOverMan

May 6, 2021
Jackson, wy
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

3. Talon R
Alright. I think I got it. First of all I broke shifter cable. It bent and one of the wires in it broke so have to replace that.

Other thing is I rotated the drum a bit over 180 degrees to where the lines line up with the marks on the case. I'm assuming that is neutral. So I will try to assemble everything when the cable comes in. I tried spinning the gears manually and everything seem to shift right.

Thanks guys for the help!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
one of the manuals (Talon or Pioneer) i cant remember also states the incorrect gear it should be in to line up with that mark.
I think I've seen different versions of the Pioneer manual on that gear issue. As in, I think they corrected it and it depends on whether you have the updated one or not...

B

Bothered

Dec 2, 2021
nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The manual doesnt mention that the shift drum has to be spun 180 degrees. If not, when shifted through the range it will allow the fork to drop down and lock the shifter up.

Also the parking shaft location is marked with paint and will almost always be gone by the time you pull it apart. So try to mark it after removing the cover.

The shift drum slot also wont line up perfectly with the mark, one of the manuals (Talon or Pioneer) i cant remember also states the incorrect gear it should be in to line up with that mark.
Do any of you guys live anywhere near Western N Caroline that I could hire to replace my low range gear and install the talon reverse gears in my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5. Great info here, you guys are amazing!

Reactions: Lady01 and Biteme
B

Bothered

Dec 2, 2021
nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do any of you guys live anywhere near Western N Caroline that I could hire to replace my low range gear and install the talon reverse gears in my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5. Great info here, you guys are amazing!
My dealer said they hadn't replaced any sub trans low range gears.

Reactions: Lady01
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dealer said they hadn't replaced any sub trans low range gears.

Its an interesting project and best I can say - just go for it.

For me it was either do it myself or let the machine sit and die in the rain.
Few late nights reading here, reviewing physical/digital manuals, made a bunch of printed copies on only the pages I needed.
Also printed out all the steps from here in this thread, bought some tools and then the day came to start puling things apart.
Used the guide here to buy all the parts I was going to need and even bought a few extra -just in case!
Mostly cause I'm so far away,
Much like firearms -its better to have and not need then to need and not have.

Just pulling apart body panels, bumpers, etc took a long time as I carefully tried to keep things organized.
The actual opening of that case was a mixture of panic and extreme honor to see I got there.
I put it back together the same night!!

really most of the work is just in removing everything to get there and then putting things back together.

somehow I was left with a few extra bolts/washers... but the SubTrans is solid!
I also learned a ton along the way and walked away with Massive Confidence that later helped me to tackle the steering knuckle issue.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
When's @Hondasxs going to give @P1K5Dave his contributing member badge for this thread.
Probably when he gives me mine for all the times I've winched him over so he could plug a tire or ratchet strap the front end back together!

For real though, this deserves to be a sticky at the least.

H

HondaTech

For anyone needing to do this in the future, some tricks ive picked up pulling these.

Dont remove any body panels, just take the skid plate off.

Remove the bolt in the coolant pipes and the air box tube next to the driveshaft.

The sub trans will come out this way and drop straight out of the bottom. I can have one out and apart in under 45 minutes with a 2 post lift.

B

Bothered

Dec 2, 2021
nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So what did you wind up doing? I never did ask what was going on with your machine in the first place.
2016 pioneer pops out of low range. I have ordered a manual and will probably try it myself. Talked to another dealer that has done this repair before, my cost $1000 to $2000 depending on damage. I do like the sound of a slower reverse. How did you determine that the talon gears would work in the pioneer? Thanks for the info!

B

Bothered

Dec 2, 2021
nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone shopped around for better prices on the parts needed to repair and upgrade the pioneer sub transmission?

Reactions: Lady01
B

Bothered

Dec 2, 2021
nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I did it. Things are hardly ever as bad as we dread them to be. Ordered the parts a week ago, read this forum about 3 times, got a manual for back up and dove in yesterday. Completed the job in 6 hours with no issues. Replaced the 2 low/reverse shifter gears, also switched the 2 reverse gears to the talon reverse gears. Shopped around and got these 4 gears and 2 gaskets for under $300. Parts King in Mi. Thanks to all you guys that have contributed to this forum with positive suggestions in many ways. You're responsible for saving me probably a $1000 or more and being without my machine for who knows how long. Thanks again and may God bless you all!!!

B

Bothered

Dec 2, 2021
nc
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The best price on the parts I found was at Honda Parts King US Hwy 27 St. Johns Mi. Googleing parts king won't get you there.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!