P1000 Sub transmission shifting questions

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ve got a 2018 1000-5le. It has 141 miles and I just have a few questions for the pros.

Is it normal to have more resistance in shifting with the engine running vs when it’s off?

is it normal for Low to be harder to get into? Seems it has to be put into to Low with a bit of conviction.Only with engine running. With engine off, all gear positions and movement is easy and locked in.

Is it normal to have reverse creep to the point of having to hold the brake? H has a little creep but a pebble will stop it. Low is the same, some creep but the brake is not necessary to hold machine.

First service was at 90 miles. Running Honda oil and filters. Absolutely zero hard miles. Gravel, dirt, highway. Stays in low unless going over 20.

Reactions: Biteme
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve got a 2018 1000-5le. It has 141 miles and I just have a few questions for the pros.

Is it normal to have more resistance in shifting with the engine running vs when it’s off?

is it normal for Low to be harder to get into? Seems it has to be put into to Low with a bit of conviction.Only with engine running. With engine off, all gear positions and movement is easy and locked in.

Is it normal to have reverse creep to the point of having to hold the brake? H has a little creep but a pebble will stop it. Low is the same, some creep but the brake is not necessary to hold machine.

First service was at 90 miles. Running Honda oil and filters. Absolutely zero hard miles. Gravel, dirt, highway. Stays in low unless going over 20.
If you have creep you need to get it adjusted. Someone will probably post the link for you, or you can go search for it and find it pretty quick.

Reactions: Biteme and Mudwing
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Mine seems to get hung up at times when running, letting off the brake usually releases it.

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you have creep you need to get it adjusted. Someone will probably post the link for you, or you can go search for it and find it pretty quick.
Adjusted by using the clutch relearn procedure?

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Adjusted as in doing the clutch relearn? Or adjust the shifting cable?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Adjusted as in doing the clutch relearn? Or adjust the shifting cable?
I thought you'd get an answer by now, so I'll try - creep needs a relearn, if it won't shift properly (like going into low range), then adjust the cable.

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I thought you'd get an answer by now, so I'll try - creep needs a relearn, if it won't shift properly (like going into low range), then adjust the cable.
I wondered about the cable adjustment except it shifts smooth as butter with engine off. With engine on its noticeably stiffer. It’s not always that way though. I just noticed the creep but the difficulties in shifting have always been tough with engine on.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wondered about the cable adjustment except it shifts smooth as butter with engine off. With engine on its noticeably stiffer. It’s not always that way though. I just noticed the creep but the difficulties in shifting have always been tough with engine on.
It makes sense, with the clutches dragging that it would be harder to shift when running. Give the relearn procedure a try, it's recommended occasionally anyway.

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It makes sense, with the clutches dragging that it would be harder to shift when running. Give the relearn procedure a try, it's recommended occasionally anyway.
After 141 miles? How often is it expected? Or what? I mean if the relearn works that’s great I just would like an explanation I guess

advertisement
B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I do appreciate the help as no one has seemed to no or act as though it’s in usual

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
After 141 miles? How often is it expected? Or what? I mean if the relearn works that’s great I just would like an explanation I guess
That seems to be too soon to need a relearn but there shouldn't be any creep and my 'gut' tells me that it's related to your hard to shift when running but I don't have any real world experience.
I do appreciate the help as no one has seemed to know or act as though it’s unusual.
I was hoping someone with more experience would join in this conversation, maybe @HondaTech ?

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That seems to be too soon to need a relearn but there shouldn't be any creep and my 'gut' tells me that it's related to your hard to shift when running but I don't have any real world experience.
I was hoping someone with more experience would join in this conversation, maybe @HondaTech ?
Me as well.. two dealers in Arkansas told me the hard shift to low was normal and was a bad design by Honda. As for the creep in reverse they weren’t sure. Probably normal though. Word for word.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was doing that also do the relearn helped alot still a little tough to get into low but not bad.JOE

H

HondaTech

I've had brand new units that creep so much you could damage the bumper with the speed it would pick up.

A clutch relearn usually solves this issue, for whatever reason the tolerances in the clutch pack are close enough to cause engagement at idle. Performing the relearn will tell the ecm the engagement point and it'll adjust accordingly.

If this stops the creeping and the unit still has issues going into low gear then the cable should be adjusted.

B

BigD87

Sep 13, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I've had brand new units that creep so much you could damage the bumper with the speed it would pick up.

A clutch relearn usually solves this issue, for whatever reason the tolerances in the clutch pack are close enough to cause engagement at idle. Performing the relearn will tell the ecm the engagement point and it'll adjust accordingly.

If this stops the creeping and the unit still has issues going into low gear then the cable should be adjusted.
Thanks. Is having the creep something that can damage the clutches over time?

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2017 1000-3eps was hard to get into low. Turned out the sub-transmission was overfilled by nearly a quart. Drained it all and filled to proper level. Within 5 minutes of driving it shifted so easy I thought I broke it. So simple, but who knew? Good luck. I am having the dealer here in Reno, NV put in my Talon lower reverse and new reverse gears in January. I bought all the parts, so $450 to do the swap labor sounds better than me trying to do it in my driveway in the snow. Plus they have done 20+ of these conversions. Will update in January.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW...my 2016 has around 12,000 miles on it and I've noticed it will begin to creep when the engine/dct oil is nearing the end of its service life. Once I change the oil and filters, the creep goes away completely.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!