P500 Sway Bar

Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have guys on Facebook asking me if I have removed my sway Brace yet on my new p500

Why would I , should I ?

Thanks in advance

Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
The more common term is sway bar, but Removing it improves articulation and ride. The cost (in theory) is stability in some situations.

Interesting,
Makes sense , wonder why engineers put it there in the first place ? Is the reward worth the risk of stability?

Any videos on here to substantiate the performance?

Thanks

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I'm planning on pulling mine soon and give it a try. This is my second Pioneer500 and an improvement in ride quality would be nice, plus I don't put myself in awkward situations for concern regarding stability.

Reactions: Idahocrawler
Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Yep, tried several scenarios. In short I completely removed mine. Put the bolts back in so I wouldn’t loose them. Some zip tie them in place. I just figured if it wasn’t being used to pull it out. You will get a little better ride. And stability in most cases.

Well my biggist concern is safety for the wife and I. That said i know you have been in some serious terrain with yours and also reading that your wife was seriously injured at one time ? (Not related to this topic) So i know you wouldn’t put her in a comprising position .
So I definitely trust your judgement.

I’m a jet mechanic by trade and currently work in a Safety related job , not being familiar with UTV and off roading , I’m a little apprehensive about de moding something engineers put in place .

Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Pulled mine long ago and much happier. Only time I really notice it not being there is at higher speed on curvy road, body rolls a good bit around the corners. Walker Evans were a huge improvement as well.
Walker Eveans ?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ha ha no way . Don’t have any plans on becoming single just yet

Many of us got them when they first came out on an introductory discount, about $50 off per shock. Still pricey, but on the all day rides in rocky terriain, they were worth it in my opinion. It was a much cheaper option than buying a P1000, and I don't want that large of a machine anyway. My P500 was a cheap option to keep on the trails while I impatiently wait for a sport machine from Honda, never have liked the belt engagement on the alternative machines.

Reactions: Idahocrawler
Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Good thread and comments on Sway Bar.
P500 - Sway Bar. Honest question.
Good read I read all of them lol

I can’t help but wonder why Honda didn’t pull them off like Yamaha?

I will have to try it as the wife and I just like to crawl along anyway . We do get on some side hills I do like the idea of opposing wheels touching the ground the majority of the time while crawling

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Well my biggist concern is safety for the wife and I. That said i know you have been in some serious terrain with yours and also reading that your wife was seriously injured at one time ? (Not related to this topic) So i know you wouldn’t put her in a comprising position .
So I definitely trust your judgement.

I’m a jet mechanic by trade and currently work in a Safety related job , not being familiar with UTV and off roading , I’m a little apprehensive about de moding something engineers put in place .

Thanks for the advice
You won't look back, by ALL means do it at your own reconnaissance and peace of mind. But I know first hand all that have pulled them as mentioned a hundred times here don't look back. Honda did it because in a mechanical engineered world and this is a working piece of suspension that does serve a purpose in most suspension applications and cases.

In the case of our 500's I wish the $3 they spent on it would been applied to just about any other place on these little guy's. But thats a complete different conversation. I believe engineers often have the best intentions but in my line of work I'm often the one that makes it real world applicable and usable. I'm just glad at one point some one had the idea to say... This fricken thing has got to go... and with that I can't take credit.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good read I read all of them lol

I can’t help but wonder why Honda didn’t pull them off like Yamaha?

I will have to try it as the wife and I just like to crawl along anyway . We do get on some side hills I do like the idea of opposing wheels touching the ground the majority of the time while crawling
Once you get used to it, you won't even notice.

Reactions: Chooglin and Stacy
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I was real apprehensive about unhooking mine. Went the first year reading about others doing it but figured Honda put it on there for a reason and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd forget about it and then it would come up again and again so I finally tried it. Rode with it zip tied up for about 6 months, now it sits on a shelf somewhere in the garage. You will get a little more body roll in the corners but the ride and the articulation are worth the trade. Wished I had done it from day one.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Well my biggist concern is safety for the wife and I. That said i know you have been in some serious terrain with yours and also reading that your wife was seriously injured at one time ? (Not related to this topic) So i know you wouldn’t put her in a comprising position . So I definitely trust your judgement. I’m a jet mechanic by trade and currently work in a Safety related job , not being familiar with UTV and off roading , I’m a little apprehensive about de moding something engineers put in place .
Thanks for the advice

I too concern myself about safety and plan to remove it and ride it around it to see how the P500 behaves on routine trails before adding friends/family......

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!