Synthetic winch rope ?

C

Chooglin

I am thinking about replacing my steel cable with rope. My question is , do I want to get the same diameter rope as the steel cable ,or go with a larger diameter rope ?

My steel cable is 50' x 3/16" dia.
What would you guys recommend?

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I opted for the 1/4" synthetic rope when I got my Viper. I theres only room for 45 ' when you go to 1/4"

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I am thinking about replacing my steel cable with rope. My question is , do I want to get the same diameter rope as the steel cable ,or go with a larger diameter rope ?

My steel cable is 50' x 3/16" dia.
What would you guys recommend?
I've been wondering about this as well. I'm starting to get a frayed spot in the steel cable, and was wondering if the rope would last longer, does it stretch when pulling, and how well it would deal with snow plow use, strength vs. diameter etc....

Reactions: Chooglin
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've been wondering about this as well. I'm starting to get a frayed spot in the steel cable, and was wondering if the rope would last longer, does it stretch when pulling, and how well it would deal with snow plow use, strength vs. diameter etc....

I have to change my cable since I've broken it 2 times plowing snow already this winter. My son has had a synthetic cable on his for the last 2 years and hasn't broken his yet. I'm going synthetic.

Reactions: JWB and Chooglin
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've been plowing with mine for two years now and no problems. Pulled me out of a mudhole last summer too. I was told that if it ever does snap that it doesn't come whipping back at you or your machine like a cable does. I think if they are repeatedly getting wet that it takes its toll on them though.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3/16 is ok for a 3,000 lb winch but too small for anything bigger. The winch line rated capacity is based on a straight line pull. With the wrap on a winch drum you can lose up to 25% cable rating due to the bending moment applied by the winch drum as the cable is spooled on. I wouldn't run even a low quality 1/4 rope on a 4500 lb winch on a P1K5. The cable rating should be at least 1.5x winch capacity but higher is better

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Reactions: JWB and Chooglin
advertisement
C

Chooglin

Not that I am doubting @JACKAL , but according to Warn , you can use a roller fairlead with rope. They do suggest replacing the fairlead ,before you switch over to rope!!

I am going to remove the rollers and polish them in the lathe, before I switch to rope , just to remove any nicks or burrs on the rollers !!

Screenshot 2018 01 25 08 17 42

Last edited by a moderator:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ultranger has fairleads as well. I have been waiting for their 1/4" line to come back in stock. Just ordered one as a spare.

Reactions: Chooglin
advertisement