Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've been wondering about this as well. I'm starting to get a frayed spot in the steel cable, and was wondering if the rope would last longer, does it stretch when pulling, and how well it would deal with snow plow use, strength vs. diameter etc....

I use synthetic on all my winches. Wire cables fray and I've stuck them clean through my fingers. It sucks. Wire also takes a "set" if you get it in a bind and it will forever have an awkward kink in that spot.

Synthetic ropes will fray a little easier so you need to take the same care you would with steel (or better). I hear they are susceptible to sunlight (UV) although I've never actually had one dry rot. Mostly, you shouldn't "snatch" on a synthetic. They are super strong but they don't like shock loads.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, click the link in my post you quoted.
Ya, after looking closely at the rollers, I see it could pinch the hell out of the rope in the corners of rollers. When I make the change, I will probably make my own with a larger opening to reduce drag as much as possible, and give it a mounting point for a large diameter roller for snow plow use. Thanks again for the info.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good info on the fairlead vs rollers. Another good lesson from this forum.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well it looks like all the major points have been covered but I'll add my 2 cents anyway.

1. I'll never use another winch with a steel cable. Several winches came with steel. I through the steel away and put synthetic on right away. I used to use them until they started to fray. The problem is they cut you easily, kink easily, and are much tougher to work with. Oh and when they snap they come trying to whip you in the face.

2 I don't remember if I got 3/16 or 1/4 but I've never broken a synthetic winch rope. I think they are a lot tougher than they say. I've also heard the "dyneema" synthetic is supposed to be pretty good....I keep a spare as cheap as they are anymore.

3. As previously stated check the fairlead. If its rough it will be hard on your rope. I bought one with the fat roller on bottom for picking up the snow plow. Haven't had any issues with the rope getting pinched. works great!

4. The biggest stressors on a rope is getting them wet and dirty, and when they are walked on or abused. That being said, I have done all those things to mine, I don't take care of them or keep them clean, and they've never failed me.....

Moral of the story, buy a synthetic rope :)

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a steel one and It has been pretty good for me... but during snow plowing some how it got twisted and I'm having hard time pulling it out by hand.now today I'm going to try to hook against a tree and let the weight of machine pull it out....On my vipermax 4500 there is no extra room at all... Think I too will go synthetic...

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will never own a steel winch cable again... I used mine one time and it is frayed and cut me... my rope will be here Thursday. I’m leaving the rollers on as they are new and I used the roller fairlead with my last winch rope with no problems. And I abused that winch and rope! Syn rope ftw!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I will never own a steel winch cable again... I used mine one time and it is frayed and cut me... my rope will be here Thursday. I’m leaving the rollers on as they are new and I used the roller fairlead with my last winch rope with no problems. And I abused that winch and rope! Syn rope ftw!

And if it snaps during a pull it doesn't turn into a flying razor blade.

advertisement
C

Chooglin

I assume you’ve been using this for a while, are you liking it?
I have only had to use it twice since I have installed it but it's holding up well. I always unwind it from the spool after I go riding , so I can clean it and allow it to dry out. With the synthetic rope , you don't want it rotting!

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have only had to use it twice since I have installed it but it's holding up well. I always unwind it from the spool after I go riding , so I can clean it and allow it to dry out. With the synthetic rope , you don't want it rotting!
Great. Was it difficult to exchange, did you have to remove the winch? I’m asking because I want to replace the cable on my 1000 and the winch isn’t real accessible.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Great. Was it difficult to exchange, did you have to remove the winch? I’m asking because I want to replace the cable on my 1000 and the winch isn’t real accessible.
It would be a whole lot easier if you remove the winch. I had a difficult time removing the old cable , because I was to lazy to remove the winch from the machine. If you remove the winch , it will also make it easier to secure the synthetic rope to the spool !

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It would be a whole lot easier if you remove the winch. I had a difficult time removing the old cable , because I was to lazy to remove the winch from the machine. If you remove the winch , it will also make it easier to secure the synthetic rope to the spool !
Damn!!!!! Thanks Chooglin.

Reactions: Chooglin