P1000 Takeover tool kits

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Last year was our first year there. Learned a lot from yall. One thing that I might add to the list is spare brake pads. I put new brake pads on our machines before we trailered them up there and somewhere in the mountains she either wore her rear brake pads down to the metal, or the pad just came off of the little backing plate. With help from @knuckledeep we had to take her rear brake caliper off and ziptie it to the frame and jam a stick or something between the worn off brake pads and put the parking brake on the keep the stick jammed between the wore out pads. She then only had front brakes on her old P7. This year she'll have the P1000-5 with new pads to start with, and new pads in the tool kit we're bringing onboard.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last year was our first year there. Learned a lot from yall. One thing that I might add to the list is spare brake pads. I put new brake pads on our machines before we trailered them up there and somewhere in the mountains she either wore her rear brake pads down to the metal, or the pad just came off of the little backing plate. With help from @knuckledeep we had to take her rear brake caliper off and ziptie it to the frame and jam a stick or something between the worn off brake pads and put the parking brake on the keep the stick jammed between the wore out pads. She then only had front brakes on her old P7. This year she'll have the P1000-5 with new pads to start with, and new pads in the tool kit we're bringing onboard.
That was definitely an interesting problem on the side of the mountain.
I'd lean towards the pad de laminating from the friction material.
Were they Honda pads or aftermarket?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That was definitely an interesting problem on the side of the mountain.
I'd lean towards the pad de laminating from the friction material.
Were they Honda pads or aftermarket?
They were aftermarket, which could have been part of the problem. Never had trouble with them before, but then again we never rode in the mountains before either. Just flatland in the mud and water.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They were aftermarket, which could have been part of the problem. Never had trouble with them before, but then again we never rode in the mountains before either. Just flatland in the mud and water.
It was a fun problem to solve. Turning wrenches with other members is fun! @knuckledeep is a smart fool.

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don’t know if you guys are that rough on your equipment or if our machines have that many weak links but I’m getting nervous.lol I didn’t think we needed to carry so much. I understand the tire repairs and I have plugs and lug wrench plus spare tire also tie rods winch straps snatch block and mini air compressor. After all that I guess I’m sol.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What Day you arriving?

Reactions: Bastardchild
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t know if you guys are that rough on your equipment or if our machines have that many weak links but I’m getting nervous.lol I didn’t think we needed to carry so much. I understand the tire repairs and I have plugs and lug wrench plus spare tire also tie rods winch straps snatch block and mini air compressor. After all that I guess I’m sol.

DO NOT BE AFRAID we are harder on these machines than most and only rarely break something. ANY of the guys with tools or gear WILL stop and will help you if they know you or not, Honda or Polaris

The only repairs I have personally had to make were tierods and an axle. The group I normally ride with will not shy away from taking the hardest trails we think the machine can make it up or down. I have driven up and down Widowmaker without breaking anything ever. A few dings and scratches was it. 97% of the time the tools and recovery gear stay packed but IF you breakdown or break something you will wish at least one person in the group has prepared. We have used our tools to fix random people’s machines that broke down or were stuck. The routes we take sometimes will be 2-3hours by pavement back to the truck or a solid day of riding at a good clip. So we are a bit more prepared than most. You can load it up so it doesn’t take up space. Like I said my normal load stays on it 100% of the time even when I’m using it around the homestead. It doesn’t take up the bed or cab, and I’ve used the winches around the house to move things more than I have to get machines unstuck. The guys that I have ridden with make trail repairs as a full group there are as many arms and hands and tools as can quickly accomplish any repair. Sometimes if you’re not paying attention the problem will be fixed before you even realize the repair was started. I would ride with them anywhere. Two people can swap a front axle correctly in under 10mins with the proper tools.

Go prepared, failure to prepare is to prepare to fail. The trails in RRB unit are a little further away from the truck than the parks most people are used to, so it’s easier on you and everyone involved if you can fix a problem there on the trail in 30mins vs taking 2hrs+ round trip back to camp.

Last edited:
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
it's not that were hard on machines there is a group of us that go for the harder trails and stuff happens. I only pack stuff that I have needed in past rides I have used my tools on more people's bikes than my own but I feel better to have to much tools as a group than not enough and if the breakage gets bad or unfixable on the trail I have my flatbed we can put someone on and drag there machine down the mountain 2 years in a row I have had to do that

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I
DO NOT BE AFRAID we are harder on these machines than most and only rarely break something. ANY of the guys with tools or gear WILL stop and will help you if they know you or not, Honda or Polaris

The only repairs I have personally had to make were tierods and an axle. The group I normally ride with will not shy away from taking the hardest trails we think the machine can make it up or down. I have driven up and down Widowmaker without breaking anything ever. A few dings and scratches was it. 97% of the time the tools and recovery gear stay packed but IF you breakdown or break something you will wish at least one person in the group has prepared. We have used our tools to fix random people’s machines that broke down or we’re stuck. The routes we take sometimes will be 2-3hours by pavement back to the truck or a solid day of riding at a good clip. So we are a bit more prepared than most. You can load it up so it doesn’t take up space. Like I said my normal load stays on it 100% of the time even when I’m using it around the homestead. It doesn’t take up the bed or cab, and I’ve used the winches around the house to move things more than I have to get machines unstuck. The guys that I have ridden with make trail repairs as a full group there are as many arms and hands and tools as can quickly accomplish any repair. Sometimes if you’re not paying attention the problem will be fixed before you even realize the repair was started. I would ride with them anywhere. Two people can swap a front axle correctly in under 10mins with the proper tools.

Go prepared, failure to prepare is to prepare to fail. The trails in RRB unit are a little further away from the truck than the parks most people are used to, so it’s easier on you and everyone involved if you can fix a problem there on the trail in 30mins vs taking 2hrs+ round trip back to camp.
I'm bringing a R rear axel and tie rod, that's it and don't plan on using them! This is going to be a blast!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will say don’t be a jerk when someone offers help. Chill out if you’ve had a rough day, swallow your pride, and accept the help, a few folks have been complete jerks and almost gotten left to fend for themselves.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ohanacreek and @knuckledeep are right on with their follow up statements. I’ll only add I think most of us are on the self reliant side anyway and while we do some work on our Honda at home we hate the thought of being out there and something happen and we know we could have fixed it but we left it all back at the truck.

If you do happen to beak down it is a damn fight sometimes to even get to work on your own rig. The group just jumps to action. Also to all carry as much - several just make sure they are riding with those that do.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@ohanacreek and @knuckledeep are right on with their follow up statements. I’ll only add I think most of us are on the self reliant side anyway and while we do some work on our Honda at home we hate the thought of being out there and something happen and we know we could have fixed it but we left it all back at the truck.

If you do happen to beak down it is a damn fight sometimes to even get to work on your own rig. The group just jumps to action. Also to all carry as much - several just make sure they are riding with those that do.
I'm such a skilled rider, I don't need your help! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! You guys are COOL!

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That’s awesome and I can’t wait to meet you guys and ride together. I’m new to sxs life but when it came to Atving I was always the one over prepared. I will go over the list again and see what I can safely secure in the 1000-3. Do you guys worry about weight?

Reactions: Plumber32
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thats the honest truth....someone says they need say a hammer....you turn around and theres 4 or 5.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!