P1000 Talk me out of buying a 1000

traildaleAZ

traildaleAZ

Sep 21, 2017
AZ
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I've had the 500 since 2015. Mostly for work around the farm and a half dozen trail rides.
Just picked up a 2018 1000-3 this week and rode it for the first time today.
My advice is to keep your 500 and NEVER drive a P1.
I'm sure you will be happy with:
Almost a real suspension,
Permanent cramps in your left leg,
Upper body workouts from turning,
Ringing ears from the screaming single,
Three-wheel drive,
Almost enough power to go almost as fast as you want to.

The P1 is so much smoother, so much quieter, so much quicker. And I'm so glad I talked myself into it. The 500 is a solid machine and fun within its limits. The P1 is just on a whole new level in every way.

I paid $12,375 out the door. Drove 12 hours each way. Yes that's correct. 12 hours times 2. Worth every mile. Saved $4k over local dealers.
Dealer in TN. The three buyers ahead of me were from MN, AZ and GA.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've had the 500 since 2015. Mostly for work around the farm and a half dozen trail rides.
Three-wheel drive,

The P1 is so much smoother, so much quieter, so much quicker. And I'm so glad I talked myself into it. The 500 is a solid machine and fun within its limits. The P1 is just on a whole new level in every way.

I paid $12,375 out the door. Drove 12 hours each way. Yes that's correct. 12 hours times 2. Worth every mile. Saved $4k over local dealers.
I'm impressed you made it in 12 hours. Musta hauled ass.

Reactions: Mopower58 and sharp
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Three-wheel drive,

What dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Gave up for now. Hauled my 500 tonight to a dealer over an hour away. Super pushy, wouldn’t let me leave, and the best they would do is $1700 off of retail, plus freight and prep, for a new 18 base model 1000-5. I can’t stand the run around.

J

JTW

Gave up for now. Hauled my 500 tonight to a dealer over an hour away. Super pushy, wouldn’t let me leave, and the best they would do is $1700 off of retail, plus freight and prep, for a new 18 base model 1000-5. I can’t stand the run around.

Don’t give up!! Your happiness is but a check away!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Was kinda looking into trading for a 700/1000 and the whole BS dance has kinda put me off it now. It's amazing how much nonsense dealer's can add to a "great deal".

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
For some reason, I’ve got it in my head that I need a 1000. I’ve been running a 500 for a few years and love it. Help me come back to my senses!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not to be a jerk, BUT - I like my Pioneer 1000, but I don't love it. I've had it a bit over a year, bought new, and it's been in for 4? 5? recalls. Now it's running poorly out of nowhere, with 45 miles on it. My biggest beef however, is that nearly every mod or upgrade or accessory starts with, "Step 1 - disassemble the entire machine." Seriously, the designers apparently never considered accessories until the machine was designed and the tooling ordered, because the simplest mods, using Honda parts, take a stupid amount of time and effort, or you have to figure out a workaround. Routine maintenance looks to be no picnic either. There, I said it. ;-)

J

JTW

Not to be a jerk, BUT - I like my Pioneer 1000, but I don't love it. I've had it a bit over a year, bought new, and it's been in for 4? 5? recalls. Now it's running poorly out of nowhere, with 45 miles on it. My biggest beef however, is that nearly every mod or upgrade or accessory starts with, "Step 1 - disassemble the entire machine." Seriously, the designers apparently never considered accessories until the machine was designed and the tooling ordered, because the simplest mods, using Honda parts, take a stupid amount of time and effort, or you have to figure out a workaround. Routine maintenance looks to be no picnic either. There, I said it. ;-)
I get your frustration on the recalls.. but they’re all mainly stupid lability recalls. And at least they’re doing them. As for the mods... not really sure what you’re talking about?

Reactions: 100Acre and sharp
G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I get your frustration on the recalls.. but they’re all mainly stupid lability recalls. And at least they’re doing them. As for the mods... not really sure what you’re talking about?
As one example, the winch install. To route the ground cable, the instructions would have you take the machine half apart. Clearly not thought through by Honda at the design stage, IMHO. Doesn't require disassembly, but adding the front brush guard is needlessly difficult due to the fastner/bolt design - and the 'brush guard' is simply a front bumper with another piece on the top, so you basically buy the bumper over again. This couldn’t have been designed as an accessory that could be added to the existing front bumper? I bet it could, if anyone had considered it. (BTW, anyone want to buy a new, unused front bumper only? :) ) And if you haven’t installed the backup alarm, the procedure is a triumph of poor design. The only accessory I added that went in easily was the bed mat. :)

J

JTW

As one example, the winch install. To route the ground cable, the instructions would have you take the machine half apart. Clearly not thought through by Honda at the design stage, IMHO. Doesn't require disassembly, but adding the front brush guard is needlessly difficult due to the fastner/bolt design - and the 'brush guard' is simply a front bumper with another piece on the top, so you basically buy the bumper over again. This couldn’t have been designed as an accessory that could be added to the existing front bumper? I bet it could, if anyone had considered it. (BTW, anyone want to buy a new, unused front bumper only? :) ) And if you haven’t installed the backup alarm, the procedure is a triumph of poor design. The only accessory I added that went in easily was the bed mat. :)
The first thing you need to do is throw the f***ing Honda directions away and read the how too’s on here.

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Agree completely, and that's my point. On a well designed machine, including accessories, the user community wouldn’t need to "throw the ******* Honda directions out." They'd be simple, and direct. Worst case, the Honda engineers should have figured out the 'better way' to do things before the owners were forced to. Poor design, poor instructions, leave it to the users. And that's why I like it, not love it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Agree completely, and that's my point. On a well designed machine, including accessories, the user community wouldn’t need to "throw the ******* Honda directions out." They'd be simple, and direct. Worst case, the Honda engineers should have figured out the 'better way' to do things before the owners were forced to. Poor design, poor instructions, leave it to the users. And that's why I like it, not love it.
Gotta agree with that. A few things the group has figured out should’ve been common sense. It’s like the machines were designed strictly by engineers not mountaineers.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Welp.... I put a deposit on a 2018 1000-5;Deluxe. It’s in the banks hands now... if they offer me a good loan, I’ll be going on a road trip.

I only got the hard roof, nothing else added.

Anything specific I should tell them to check before I pick it up?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Welp.... I put a deposit on a 2018 1000-5;Deluxe. It’s in the banks hands now... if they offer me a good loan, I’ll be going on a road trip.

I only got the hard roof, nothing else added.

Anything specific I should tell them to check before I pick it up?

Congrats man.
Most of the issues are gone on ‘18.
Alignment and fluid levels are always important. Check intake hoses from air filter-intake. Maybe you could check doors and box for rattling by shaking stuff and try to get them to adjust. Easy if they don’t though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!