Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This just got posted a short time ago. Patent from Kawasaki sport SXS.

Screenshot 20190221 055250 YouTube

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is the actual patent ....

Attachments

• Kawasaki-side-by-side-patent-US2010202151.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looks very interesting. Too bad on the cvt aspect

Reactions: Chooglin
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't understand why so many brand/models have stuck with the CVT , is it cost ? Why haven't they changed to gear transmission? Isn't Yamaha the only other brand doing this in the sxs's ?
Ya so far it’s only those two. Rumor mill Polaris is working on something but I really think there will be others shorty.
It really looks kawi is belt, surprises me with an all new machine that’s coming into Jap market against Yami and Honda. I suspect it’ll either beat them with power/build or price point to stay competitive.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ya so far it’s only those two. Rumor mill Polaris is working on something but I really think there will be others shorty.
It really looks kawi is belt, surprises me with an all new machine that’s coming into Jap market against Yami and Honda. I suspect it’ll either beat them with power/build or price point to stay competitive.

In the patent it specifically refers to CVT transmission, from speculation on tfl off road, they say engine looks to be a 3 cylinder inline setup if the drawing is accurate.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't understand why so many brand/models have stuck with the CVT , is it cost ? Why haven't they changed to gear transmission? Isn't Yamaha the only other brand doing this in the sxs's ?
There really is a lot of benefits to a belt drive. Easily adjustable for tire size with about $20 worth of weights. You can achieve more wheel speed in deep mud and snow. Yes maintenance is required, but its Usually pretty easy.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There really is a lot of benefits to a belt drive. Easily adjustable for tire size with about $20 worth of weights. You can achieve more wheel speed in deep mud and snow. Yes maintenance is required, but its Usually pretty easy.
Biggest benefit is manufacturing cost. That’s why it’s still done.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Biggest benefit is manufacturing cost. That’s why it’s still done.
If I were to buy a real sport machine I'd go belt without a doubt. These geared transmissions don't have a proper low range. Our pioneers would be better if they had the Yamaha wolverine transmission. Don't get me wrong grabbing gears is fun, but a proper cvt like the Yamaha with a 10yr warranty would make this rig better.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If I were to buy a real sport machine I'd go belt without a doubt. These geared transmissions don't have a proper low range. Our pioneers would be better if they had the Yamaha wolverine transmission. Don't get me wrong grabbing gears is fun, but a proper cvt like the Yamaha with a 10yr warranty would make this rig better.
Yami does a night and day difference on belts and would actually consider one again after the clutch setup in the Wolvie but man I like the gears! Like them so much the truck and the motor home now have them lol.
Very curious if the kawi will run a clutch setup like Yami. Could be an incredible machine and worth looking at for some. Jap rigs are coming hard, going to get interesting shortly

H

HondaTech

All the low range is any CVT is a switching to different gear set or a single gear.

I've been in a Teryx/Brute Force trans, their just a shift fork that moves a gear set.

The P1Ks sub trans is basically a CVT trans attached to a 6 speed constant mesh. If the P1K doesnt have a "real" low gear than neither does any other UTV.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All the low range is any CVT is a switching to different gear set or a single gear.

I've been in a Teryx/Brute Force trans, their just a shift fork that moves a gear set.

The P1Ks sub trans is basically a CVT trans attached to a 6 speed constant mesh. If the P1K doesnt have a "real" low gear than neither does any other UTV.
I'm no tech don't get me wrong. But every cvt sxs I've driven the low range was lower than the 1000. It can crawl at 2-3mph.

H

HondaTech

It would appear the drawing shows a parallel twin under the bed instead of their V-Twin.

Would need to be a clean slate then, since Kawi doesnt have use a parallel twin in anything thats belt driven.

H

HondaTech

I'm no tech don't get me wrong. But every cvt sxs I've driven the low range was lower than the 1000. It can crawl at 2-3mph.

They operate in the same principle, the final drive or gearing could be lower. Putting the P1K in low it should crawl downhill. The belt drive does help smooth low speed throttle inputs, whereas the dct engagement makes slow speed crawling jerky.

But the clutch update seemed to help that aspect out in the units I've driven.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!