Talon vs X3

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I really wanted a talon but a belt is much easier than a stripped sub trans and driveshaft problems. I am a DIEHARD honda guy but they dropped the ball super hard on the talons.

I beat the living crap out of my Talon every time I take it out and have had zero problems with either. Redline oil in the subtrans and tack welds on the U-joint caps when it was new solved all of the world's problems.....

If you think the other SxS manufacturers build flawless machines you are going to be in for a big surprise! 🤣

Edit: And you are not a DIEHARD Honda guy if your buying something else.....

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
IMO the only thing Honda messed up when they built and released the Talon was making a 4 seater and an X model. They don't make enough HP from the factory to haul 4 fat asses and their gear around decently and the chassis doesn’t work well with the narrow X suspension and crappy 2.0 shocks.

You want a 4 seat dune runner..... Buy a Can-Am

You want a narrow SxS to take on trails..... Buy a RZR or X3

You want a machine that you can throw minimal money at and be extremely competitive at the local SxS races..... Buy a Talon R. My racecar is proof of this.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I beat the living crap out of my Talon every time I take it out and have had zero problems with either. Redline oil in the subtrans and tack welds on the U-joint caps when it was new solved all of the world's problems.....

If you think the other SxS manufacturers build flawless machines you are going to be in for a big surprise! 🤣

Edit: And you are not a diehard Honda guy if your buying something else.....
What would you know about it? You only race hard against machines with more power and suspension and still win without constant breaking lol.
I know 5 people locally that own them and still haven’t seen failures. And none of them complain about suspension either. Just ride the s*** out of them. Each person I talk to solidifies it more for me, especially when they hand me the keys.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMO the only thing Honda messed up when they built and released the Talon was making a 4 seater and an X model. They don't make enough HP from the factory to haul 4 fat asses and their gear around decently and the chassis doesn’t work well with the narrow X suspension and crappy 2.0 shocks.

You want a 4 seat dune runner..... Buy a Can-Am

You want a narrow SxS to take on trails..... Buy a RZR or X3

You want a machine that you can throw minimal money at and be extremely competitive at the local SxS races..... Buy a Talon R. My racecar is proof of this.
I’ll agree for most part, except for the trails. Trails here Talon does the best except for Rmax but I don’t consider that a sport.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
What would you know about it? You only race hard against machines with more power and suspension and still win without constant breaking lol.
I know 5 people locally that own them and still haven’t seen failures. And none of them complain about suspension either. Just ride the s*** out of them. Each person I talk to solidifies it more for me, especially when they hand me the keys.

My buddy in Massachusetts bought his Talon R at the same time I bought mine with racing in mind. He sent his shocks out to Double E Racing like I did, got the same store bought tune and exhaust as I did and is mopping up the competition at the local races. Like me, this is also his first year racing a SxS. These things just work. 😎

Resized 20210821 162906

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’ll agree for most part, except for the trails. Trails here Talon does the best except for Rmax but I don’t consider that a sport.

Dude I race with just picked up a new fully loaded 4 seat RMax to use as a pit vehicle. I was driving it around at the last event..... That machine is super nice!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dude I race with just picked up a new fully loaded 4 seat RMax to use as a pit vehicle. I was driving it around at the last event..... That machine is super nice!!
Ya that’d be my second choice. I was disappointed it didn’t have dct, and after driving one it just felt heavy. A ton of body roll. Not digging on it, really nice machine but not for me.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
advertisement
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Dammit man. The last thing I expected when joining this forum was that I might in any way be swayed in some other direction.
Despite the fact they're both brands I've owned and would own again, I've ruled out the Kawi and the Yamaha, leading me here, to what seemed like the obvious answer and choice. I joined here to glean knowledge and kill time waiting for the 2022's to roll in.

Now I find a life long Honda guy that's put his money where his mouth is, thrown money at the problems and at the end of the day still can't make the Talon do what he needs it to do.

After a life on two wheels with nearly double the HP and a third the weight, doubt is also beginning to creep in as to whether or not those 104 naturally aspirated horses the Talon is putting down are gonna be able to move nearly a ton of man and machine around in a manner I'll really be ably to enjoy. After a month of scouring these forums and doing the math, I find myself in the last place I thought I'd ever be, considering something outside the Japanese market, a place I've never been, on two wheels or four.

Now enters Can-Am... 72" & 200HP, starting at $23,799. Possibly missing some nuts and bolts, and make sure everything's torqued, because BRP probably didn't. I can't believe I'm tempted, but after a couple weeks of looking at the grass on the other side of the fence, I'm genuinely afraid I may be.

@SpeedBuggy Tell me it's all a mistake and you've cancelled your deposit.
😂
I have not canceled my deposit and I have a pile of parts in my garage waiting. Truth be told I love my Talon and the shifting. I just can’t see dropping another $7-8K for the turbo with known issues to get a machine that won’t be near the top of the power heap. Less than $800.00 gets you injectors and a tune for the X3RR that takes it to 255Hp on stock exhaust -100 more than a Turbo Talon… I’m not getting it but knowing it’s there is nice. I’ve got over $30K in it ($18K for the Talon) all in parts, not counting things that I didn’t like and are not on the car. The suspension & power are my biggest gripes. Rowing the gears is nirvana, that’s what I’ll miss the most.

As an FYI the $23K X3 gets you 64” wide and 120HP so it’s not the one you want. I wouldn’t dump my Talon for that model. All machines have shortcomings and before I even drive the X3 I’m spending almost a grand in front end strengthening parts to gusset and double shear the front end. More will go in the rear as things break. This is stuff that should have been done at the factory like some of the things we complain about Honda should have done. My Talon has been ultra reliable and that’s one of my worries with BRP.

the rear suspension geometry can’t be fixed and the weird 5 link thing isn’t something the aftermarket has tackled. Also tired of taking the bypass when my turbo buddies can point it up long steep climbs (not crawling) where I run out of steam.

I’ll report on the new car, it’s pros and cons. Should Honda build the class leading machine we wanted I’ll probably be back.

jmneill

jmneill

Aug 5, 2021
Dixie
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have not canceled my deposit and I have a pile of parts in my garage waiting. Truth be told I love my Talon and the shifting. I just can’t see dropping another $7-8K for the turbo with known issues to get a machine that won’t be near the top of the power heap. Less than $800.00 gets you injectors and a tune for the X3RR that takes it to 255Hp on stock exhaust -100 more than a Turbo Talon… I’m not getting it but knowing it’s there is nice. I’ve got over $30K in it ($18K for the Talon) all in parts, not counting things that I didn’t like and are not on the car. The suspension & power are my biggest gripes. Rowing the gears is nirvana, that’s what I’ll miss the most.

As an FYI the $23K X3 gets you 64” wide and 120HP so it’s not the one you want. I wouldn’t dump my Talon for that model. All machines have shortcomings and before I even drive the X3 I’m spending almost a grand in front end strengthening parts to gusset and double shear the front end. More will go in the rear as things break. This is stuff that should have been done at the factory like some of the things we complain about Honda should have done. My Talon has been ultra reliable and that’s one of my worries with BRP.

the rear suspension geometry can’t be fixed and the weird 5 link thing isn’t something the aftermarket has tackled. Also tired of taking the bypass when my turbo buddies can point it up long steep climbs (not crawling) where I run out of steam.

I’ll report on the new car, it’s pros and cons. Should Honda build the class leading machine we wanted I’ll probably be back.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Unless I'm missing something, and I may be.. It appears on the surface that $23,799 will squeeze your foot in the 72" 200HP door, in the form of the X3 RS Turbo RR.
I've had a look at the spec sheets, and at least for my purposes it seems like there's some value to be had in that machine. (correctly or incorrectly assuming that it comes with some level of reliability..)

I've ordered a 12X20 utility building that will be ready in 5 weeks~
Just gotta make a decision now on what's going to reside under the new roof.

Best of luck with your new machine. 🍻

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

Kraftworks is making a turbo kit for the Talon at a mrsp price of around $4200. I do believe power out of the Talon is right around the corner. Shops r figuring it out! Also the geometry can be looked at as not a bad thing depending on type of trails. The geometry that does well in the sand isn't technically the same geometry that does well in trails and rocks. Which is why the Talon does do well in certain races and is considered a Billy goat climber.....that is due to its setup. We just think the dunes and power is everything....my Talon does awesome in Tennessee type trails and better than a lot of the competition but they would do better than me in the sand and whoops. And I don't break and they do...

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Kraftworks is making a turbo kit for the Talon at a mrsp price of around $4200. I do believe power out of the Talon is right around the corner. Shops r figuring it out! Also the geometry can be looked at as not a bad thing depending on type of trails. The geometry that does well in the sand isn't technically the same geometry that does well in trails and rocks. Which is why the Talon does do well in certain races and is considered a Billy goat climber.....that is due to its setup. We just think the dunes and power is everything....my Talon does awesome in Tennessee type trails and better than a lot of the competition but they would do better than me in the sand and whoops. And I don't break and they do...
I’m not bashing the Honda at all, especially not in a Honda site. Just trying something different. Someone is going to get a low mileage tricked out Talon from my efforts. This time around I’m going for long travel and power. My machines run from tight trails to fast open whoops to dunes to hill climbs and some crawling. We’re muddy in WA but not what you would consider mudding. Who knows I might end up keeping both. That would equal a 4 seater right?

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
We all know if we could have that Can Am with 200HP, 24 inches of suspension but made by Honda with Honda quality and a transmission it would be the #1 selling machine in the country

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Unless I'm missing something, and I may be.. It appears on the surface that $23,799 will squeeze your foot in the 72" 200HP door, in the form of the X3 RS Turbo RR.
I've had a look at the spec sheets, and at least for my purposes it seems like there's some value to be had in that machine. (correctly or incorrectly assuming that it comes with some level of reliability..)

I've ordered a 12X20 utility building that will be ready in 5 weeks~
Just gotta make a decision now on what's going to reside under the new roof.

Best of luck with your new machine. 🍻
You are correct, I was mistaken. When looking at the spec sheet you lose the fully adjustable dampening and rebound shocks for the 3 settings, 2.5 over 3.0 rear shocks with remote reservoir (2” less rear travel with the 2.5’s)”, a roof, a smaller display, the eyebrow led’s (who cares), 30” tires instead of 32’s and I think the 4 point retractable harnesses plus a couple other trim options. Not sure if that’s worth 4K or not. I went for the smart shox and am basically adding back everything to make it the RC. No compromise on this one except a belt but that’s a big one.

Reactions: jmneill
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I know my wife and daughter would.
My wife actually refuses to go wheeling in a truck or Suv.

she was in a bad accident when young and it gives her anxiety.

the sxs (especially with 4” portals) is so wide and low center of gravity it really makes the difference for her enjoyment.

I tried convincing her to let me build a longtravel trophy truck but she just said she wouldn’t come with any longer. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adam_20_Adam

Adam_20_Adam

Aug 25, 2019
Western Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
My wife actually refuses to go wheeling in a truck or Suv.

she was in a bad accident when young and it gives her anxiety.

the sxs (especially with 4” portals) is so wide and low center of gravity it really makes the difference for her enjoyment.

I tried convincing her to let me build a longtravel trophy truck but she just said she wouldn’t come with any longer. 🤷🏻‍♂️
My wife is exact opposite. I have a Talon with 4" portals and all the bells and whistles. And every time- "it's I would go along more often of you would have a jeep or truck."
Simple fix.
Trade wives. Hahahaha
Just kidding. I dont wanna give half my stuff away to her and the other half to a lawyer.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
My wife is exact opposite. I have a Talon with 4" portals and all the bells and whistles. And every time- "it's I would go along more often of you would have a jeep or truck."
Simple fix.
Trade wives. Hahahaha
Just kidding. I dont wanna give half my stuff away to her and the other half to a lawyer.
A full build trophy truck is cheaper than ^^^^^

why can’t you have both. 😂

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!