Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Definitely a great upgrade.
I put 40 miles on Friday and another 30 today.

Fast Rough rocky trail and bumpy tundra.
One handed driving no problem.

Hauled out 2 caribou also.

2221BDAF D5A3 40E3 83C9 BBFBC74AA3A5 78F6AEFD 4171 4856 8773 569A9BDBF88A A86EDED9 5984 490C A104 3248C1090284 FA05F46B 7763 4475 B9C9 E26DC2CA2F45 BDB241FD 372B 4530 B004 706355E16727

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Definitely a great upgrade.
I put 40 miles on Friday and another 30 today.

Fast Rough rocky trail and bumpy tundra.
One handed driving no problem.
I am considering this upgrade. If you don't mind, I would like an update on this mod now that you have had it for a few months (can't find any reviews online).

How many miles do you have on it now?
Is it still working as expected?
How much do you have it cranked up?
Has it had any "glitches" like the stock motor has?
Your overall impression after some seat time?
Any other pertinent info you think would be useful.

Thanks!

Reactions: TripleB
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
How many miles do you have on it now? 450 miles on portals, 350 on the Epowersteering.com kit.
Is it still working as expected? Provides great assist.
How much do you have it cranked up? Maxed out because of portal bump steer.
Has it had any "glitches" like the stock motor has? Popped a fuse on the accessory circuit. (Then wired it to my terminal block)
Your overall impression after some seat time? I’m guessing at half power it is the same as stock.
Any other pertinent info you think would be useful. Order the accessory heat sink for the ecu and use it for hot weather.
28E68088 A215 4C08 9F6E 5C1881B72177

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
How many miles do you have on it now? 450 miles on portals, 350 on the Epowersteering.com kit.
Is it still working as expected? Provides great assist.
How much do you have it cranked up? Maxed out because of portal bump steer.
Has it had any "glitches" like the stock motor has? Popped a fuse on the accessory circuit. (Then wired it to my terminal block)
Your overall impression after some seat time? I’m guessing at half power it is the same as stock.
Any other pertinent info you think would be useful. Order the accessory heat sink for the ecu and use it for hot weather.
Thanks for the feedback!

To be honest, the assist of the stock unit would be just fine for me if it were simply consistent. I have driven several Talons and they are all inconsistent like mine, even with stock tires but not quite as bad. Not sure if the motor is overheating, the wiring is inadequate the ECU is overheating or is crap or if the torque sensor doesn't work consistently but like many others experience, it will just stop working for a moment or 2 and then come back (usually at the worse possible time too).

I am contemplating more investigation to determine the root cause. Because the steering comes right back (not enough time to cool anything off), I suspect it is not overheating but and the ECU is acting up and has nothing to do with the motor. Just my theory.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Thanks for the feedback!

To be honest, the assist of the stock unit would be just fine for me if it were simply consistent. I have driven several Talons and they are all inconsistent like mine, even with stock tires but not quite as bad. Not sure if the motor is overheating, the wiring is inadequate the ECU is overheating or is crap or if the torque sensor doesn't work consistently but like many others experience, it will just stop working for a moment or 2 and then come back (usually at the worse possible time too).

I am contemplating more investigation to determine the root cause. Because the steering comes right back (not enough time to cool anything off), I suspect it is not overheating but and the ECU is acting up and has nothing to do with the motor. Just my theory.
My stock PS motor would fault out after a hard bump steer event. It goes into “limp mode” then would work again after shutdown and restart.

the Epower steering unit handles bump steer much better. (Less feedback)

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
My stock PS motor would fault out after a hard bump steer event. It goes into “limp mode” then would work again after shutdown and restart.

the Epower steering unit handles bump steer much better. (Less feedback)
One more question. When your machine would fault out and go into limp mode, did it ever turn on the EPS indicator in the dash?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
One more question. When your machine would fault out and go into limp mode, did it ever turn on the EPS indicator in the dash?
Always.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Note once the oem eps is disconnected the eps light will be on all the time.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Note once the oem eps is disconnected the eps light will be on all the time.
Are you saying that with the ePowersteering.com unit, you completely disconnect the OEM ESP and the light is always on?

In the video, it look like there is a bypass/dummy/trick plug that attaches to the OEM torque sensor pigtail and you leave the stock ECU connected. Did I see that wrong?

Reactions: CID
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Are you saying that with the ePowersteering.com unit, you completely disconnect the OEM ESP and the light is always on?

In the video, it look like there is a bypass/dummy/trick plug that attaches to the OEM torque sensor pigtail and you leave the stock ECU connected. Did I see that wrong?

i just unplugged the eps motor and it came on.

no pigtails in the package.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
An update after removing the 1” spacers and going to 1/8” washers on each wheel stud.

Huge improvement in handling.

I can run the whoops on the rev limiter again!

57 mph on gps with the raised rev limiter tune.

Much happier with the portals overall now.

I think it would be fine with the stock power steering motor now.

Put 55 miles on last night running it hard and didn’t get any steering hit surprises.

D93709E0 43EF 4B9A BF70 6B16161B508E
A26B0558 70A0 4B90 904F 156050D1309C
2E33E568 74E7 4B7B 9231 1FF1E72BF408

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!