P1000 The Making Of Pete

PioneerPete submitted a new Garage Item:

The Making of Pete

View attachment 8943 View attachment 8944 View attachment 8945 View attachment 8946 View attachment 8948
Trying to document Pete's transformation. So far he has a hard roof, popout windshield, warn winch, brushguard, rear fender flares, and pyle 500w tube. Almost forgot the control arm guards. Second battery, isolator, pdm, light bar, and cubes to come next weekend. Damyou @JACKAL !! LOL

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was really meant as a joke, but I probably don't need it taking up space in my shop! I'm in Chattanooga, TN. where are you located?
Winchester, bout an hour away. If you ever decide to sell, let me know your price. Really wish I'd kept all that tubing we threw away when plant shut down lol.

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Winchester, bout an hour away. If you ever decide to sell, let me know your price. Really wish I'd kept all that tubing we threw away when plant shut down lol.
My wife went to school in Winchester. We were over there at her grandparents for Christmas. Of course I brought my new toy and gave it some work in the fields across from their house!
I'm sure we can work something out on the bumper. They're having an open ride over here at Aetna Mountain Adventures this Saturday. I think its like $22 to ride all day. Think you can make it over the mountain and give that new ride a workout?

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
My wife went to school in Winchester. We were over there at her grandparents for Christmas. Of course I brought my new toy and gave it some work in the fields across from their house!
I'm sure we can work something out on the bumper. They're having an open ride over here at Aetna Mountain Adventures this Saturday. I think its like $22 to ride all day. Think you can make it over the mountain and give that new ride a workout?

This Saturday hu? Mind if others come to this open day? What time will you and others be showing up?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing I would like more but I work weekend nights at Nissan plant. As much as I love spending time in the seat, those 13.5 hour shifts suck the life outta me lol. She has already gotten 2 good workouts on Keith Springs mtn ( known as Iron Gap). I need to post vid I took going up really steep rocky hill last Thursday. It was her first true outing. She ate hill up and was begging for seconds lol. That powerplant is AWESOME!!!!!

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This Saturday hu? Mind if others come to this open day? What time will you and others be showing up?
Would love to have another Honda to ride with. I'm not sure on time, but AMA is only about 5 minutes from my house, so I can be there on short notice. I may have my boys with me (5 and 3yr old).

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing I would like more but I work weekend nights at Nissan plant. As much as I love spending time in the seat, those 13.5 hour shifts suck the life outta me lol. She has already gotten 2 good workouts on Keith Springs mtn ( known as Iron Gap). I need to post vid I took going up really steep rocky hill last Thursday. It was her first true outing. She ate hill up and was begging for seconds lol. That powerplant is AWESOME!!!!!
Man that's a rough work schedule. I've worked nights before and understand the life sucking part! Would love to see that video. Just let me know when you want to come pick up that bumper. I'm home most weekdays after 5.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man that's a rough work schedule. I've worked nights before and understand the life sucking part! Would love to see that video. Just let me know when you want to come pick up that bumper. I'm home most weekdays after 5.

Maybe Thursday evening? Picking up extra shift on Wed but nothing planned for Thurs. I told wife if I picked up 2 extra shifts a month, it'd pay for my new utv habit lol.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got time to do a little more tinkering on Pete. Added in the light bar on front, and cubes on the back. Also got everything mocked up under the hood for the second battery, isolator, and pdm, but haven't finalized that stuff yet.
20160116 152810
20160116 152759
20160116 152537
20160116 152523

Reactions: pct and JACKAL
advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What does bottom have for protection from factory?
it has a much thinner plastic that only covers the center of the machine. I'm pretty sure I could bust the factory skid guard with a hammer. the trail armor is a full half inch thick and covers the entire undercarriage.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What does bottom have for protection from factory?
just a 1/4" thick strip down the middle section leaving driver & passenger floorboards exposed among several other things sticks could get into.

Here is OEM:

20151222 211543

Here is the full UHMW skid just like above, same angle:

20151223 003447

Reactions: pct and PioneerPete
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
it has a much thinner plastic that only covers the center of the machine. I'm pretty sure I could bust the factory skid guard with a hammer. the trail armor is a full half inch thick and covers the entire undercarriage.

Actually I used my OEM skid to make my switch plate, I simple scored it with a razor blade and it snapped like plexiglass when I flexed it broke off nice and clean. If you are taking your machine in lots of rocks an UHMW skidplate and A-arm guards are highly recommended unless you want to beat up your frame tubing underneath.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually I used my OEM skid to make my switch plate, I simple scored it with a razor blade and it snapped like plexiglass when I flexed it broke off nice and clean. If you are taking your machine in lots of rocks an UHMW skidplate and A-arm guards are highly recommended unless you want to beat up your frame tubing underneath.
Thanks for the detail on how to cut the OEM skid plate.lol I was planning to borrow your idea there too, and had been actively considering how best to cut it out. How about the actual switch holes? Did you just score and pop those out too?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the detail on how to cut the OEM skid plate.lol I was planning to borrow your idea there too, and had been actively considering how best to cut it out. How about the actual switch holes? Did you just score and pop those out too?
Use a Dremel tool with rotozip bit, and practice on scrap pieces first, LOL

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For the switch holes, I marked the outline of the switch and then punched on the line with a chisel and hammer. I thought it was a good idea but I still had to use the Dremel to clean it up.

It might be worth making a metal rectangle the exact same size and heating it to melt a hole.

Just throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Shot of the Pyle sound system. It took some experimenting with the supplied nylon straps to get it to hang correctly, but I think we got there. One day we'll get some sunshine around here and I'll get some better pics.lol
20160117 164427

Reactions: pct
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks like it might hit your bumper if pulling to the sides or at an angle....I think they are usually mounted on the outside of the bumper. Might want to double check that. I'd hate to have your bumper get messed up!
@Hometeam you called it. the first time I wanted to use the winch was a sharp vertical angle to pick the front wheels up so I could mount the trail armor skid guard. it wasn't going to work without scraping the bumper so I had to go ahead and switch the fairlead to the outside. Sometimes experimentation leads to better results, other times it causes more work!lol oh well, at least it happened in the barn and not out on the trail.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!