P1000 The Making Of Pete

PioneerPete submitted a new Garage Item:

The Making of Pete

View attachment 8943 View attachment 8944 View attachment 8945 View attachment 8946 View attachment 8948
Trying to document Pete's transformation. So far he has a hard roof, popout windshield, warn winch, brushguard, rear fender flares, and pyle 500w tube. Almost forgot the control arm guards. Second battery, isolator, pdm, light bar, and cubes to come next weekend. Damyou @JACKAL !! LOL

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator:
CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, I wasn't happy with my first switch plate that my friend made for me, so I ordered one from a professional. Much better fit, and it's powdercoated metal instead of plastic. The holes are also a much tighter fit, so the switch seals are nice and tight.
Here's a pic of the "rats nest"
View attachment 10334
And the front view
View attachment 10335
Who made your new plate?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good, I just sent him a check for mine. Can't wait to get it all installed.
Yeah, I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but it is a good quality. Not sure what type switches you have. I had the STV double lit rocker switches, and they were very snug. At first I thought they didn't fit, but once I lined them up, they slide right in and fit tight like a glove. Hope you share your pics with us.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks great man. Can't wait to start wiring up my switch plate and extra lights. Still up in air about re- installing rear ROPS. And can't mount rear lights til I do. I get another severance check from rock- Tenn tomorrow so gotta figure out what to buy next. Got little over a grand to spend. Windshield and top or full skids. It's a problem I don't mind having lol.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks great man. Can't wait to start wiring up my switch plate and extra lights. Still up in air about re- installing rear ROPS. And can't mount rear lights til I do. I get another severance check from rock- Tenn tomorrow so gotta figure out what to buy next. Got little over a grand to spend. Windshield and top or full skids. It's a problem I don't mind having lol.
Man thats a tough call. I went with windshield and top first, but it does feel nice having the skid plate peace of mind.
I bet you could make your own skid for alot less.

Reactions: Delton
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Has anyone employed the "bus bolt" method for grounding accessories???lol The bottom lead on the bolt (the 4ga) is grounded to the frame, and then most all accessories (except the winch and pdm itself) are grounded on the bolt.
View attachment 10354
I should probably go back and heatshrink these leads. At least it would look better.
Yup. The ground bolt from the switch plate will get attached to the new ground bus along with everything else.

IMG 2347 IMG 2349

Reactions: pct and PioneerPete
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man thats a tough call. I went with windshield and top first, but it does feel nice having the skid plate peace of mind.
I bet you could make your own skid for alot less.
I thought about that route as well. It'd be alot cheaper ( money to spend somewhere else) plus I enjoy the hands on approach. Trouble would be finding time and a plastics dealer. I seen 3 sheets of 3/8" uhwm sitting on a rack at work lol. Of course I thought skid plate soon as I seen it lol. I'd rather have 1/2", plus I'd hate to get caught stealing from Nissan lol. Pretty sure that's frowned upon ( they do periodic lunchbox searches as we leave plant).

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought about that route as well. It'd be alot cheaper ( money to spend somewhere else) plus I enjoy the hands on approach. Trouble would be finding time and a plastics dealer. I seen 3 sheets of 3/8" uhwm sitting on a rack at work lol. Of course I thought skid plate soon as I seen it lol. I'd rather have 1/2", plus I'd hate to get caught stealing from Nissan lol. Pretty sure that's frowned upon ( they do periodic lunchbox searches as we leave plant).
LOL, Definitely buy your own! Joeymt33 got some UHMW to make a bashguard for his front bumper. I think it was 1/2". Check his travelerII thread. I believe he provided a link to where he ordered it.

Reactions: pct and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL, Definitely buy your own! Joeymt33 got some UHMW to make a bashguard for his front bumper. I think it was 1/2". Check his travelerII thread. I believe he provided a link to where he ordered it.
I can get a 4x8' sheet of 1/2" black for 508.24 from a place in Nashville I dealt with at my old job. Think that's a good price? That'd be what about 300 bucks cheaper? Give or take

advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can get a 4x8' sheet of 1/2" black for 508.24 from a place in Nashville I dealt with at my old job. Think that's a good price? That'd be what about 300 bucks cheaper? Give or take
Dang... $500 is about what I would have been happy paying to have someone else make it. Maybe my expectations are too high. I would think buying raw material would be ~$300 for a 4x8 sheet.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe this is where joe got his. Looks like $447 for a 4x8 sheet. I guess by the time you add on shipping, $508 isn't too bad. If you notice, dropping down to 3/8" saves $100. That may be a better way to go if on a tight budget.
Upload 2016 2 15 13 9 28

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not so much a money thing. But if I can get one cheaper and know I built it, its a win win. I haven't measured but 4' might not even be wide enough.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
McMaster isn't the cheapest place to buy from. You could do better on prices from somewhere else. I just buy from them out of habit because we have an account with them at work.

If I was buying s big sheet, I would shop around. But for a $20 sheet, I didn't bother. I ordered and got it next day. I must be close to there location. Sometimes, a guy in a minivan will deliver the items I order from them. They must be located around Atlanta.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not so much a money thing. But if I can get one cheaper and know I built it, its a win win. I haven't measured but 4' might not even be wide enough.
The trail armor come in 4 separate pieces. There are some install pics in here somewhere. I believe overall width is more than 4', but not by much. The joint that runs width-wise on the machine is routed on each piece so they overlap and fit nicely. The two joints that run length-wise on the machine are just butt joints (no coping).

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I bought the trail armor last week and they were willing to drop the price on it when I brought up the sss ones and said I was apart of the Honda sxs. I got the skid and a arm guards for $918 and $1005 shipped to my door. Ended up being a little over $100 savings!!

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
McMaster isn't the cheapest place to buy from. You could do better on prices from somewhere else. I just buy from them out of habit because we have an account with them at work.

If I was buying s big sheet, I would shop around. But for a $20 sheet, I didn't bother. I ordered and got it next day. I must be close to there location. Sometimes, a guy in a minivan will deliver the items I order from them. They must be located around Atlanta.
Yep. This was just the first thing I came across. Looks like two 2x4' (for a total 4x8' coverage) pieces would only be ~$225 total from "onlinemetals.com". This may be cheaper because it's "reprocessed".
Upload 2016 2 15 13 43 20

Reactions: pct
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought the trail armor last week and they were willing to drop the price on it when I brought up the sss ones and said I was apart of the Honda sxs. I got the skid and a arm guards for $918 and $1005 shipped to my door. Ended up being a little over $100 savings!!
Glad to hear they are coming down some. I bought the skid plate from them early in January (after I rode that rock fest they call AOP), and it was $750 plus $118 shipping.

Reactions: iowaguy
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

We had an account with them too and you're right, not the cheapest place. But you could find just about anything you wanted in that mile thick big yellow book lmao.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got around to checking the height of my Honda OEM 27" Bighorn 2.0s today. Pressure was down below 10psi in all tires, and height of the rear tires was 26.25". The front was 25.5". The owners manual says 14psi for the deluxe model, however the tires themselves are marked "not to exceed 36psi". I always felt that 14psi was a little soft for these 4ply tires (too much side wall roll), so I aired them all up to 20psi today, and checked tire height. The rears were at 27.25" and the fronts were 26.5". Seems like the tire height of the factory Bighorn 2.0s, is relatively true to nominal at 20psi, but they may grow some more after leaving at that pressure for a few days.
I'll check them again in a few days to see if they've grown any more, and report back. Hopefully this information will help people considering new tires to get a better feel for what sizes will fit on the stock machine.

Reactions: Delton and joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!