P1000 The Making Of Pete

PioneerPete submitted a new Garage Item:

The Making of Pete

View attachment 8943 View attachment 8944 View attachment 8945 View attachment 8946 View attachment 8948
Trying to document Pete's transformation. So far he has a hard roof, popout windshield, warn winch, brushguard, rear fender flares, and pyle 500w tube. Almost forgot the control arm guards. Second battery, isolator, pdm, light bar, and cubes to come next weekend. Damyou @JACKAL !! LOL

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does Pete have the factory flip up windshield?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does Pete have the factory flip up windshield?
yes, it's the 2 piece. the top piece hinges at the top, so the lower part of the top piece will move outward about 6 inches to allow air flow. I believe I can also totally remove the top piece and just use the lower piece as a wind deflector.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yes, it's the 2 piece. the top piece hinges at the top, so the lower part of the top piece will move outward about 6 inches to allow air flow. I believe I can also totally remove the top piece and just use the lower piece as a wind deflector.
I figured it was. Already been to Chattanooga and grabbed one along with the 5P hardtop lol

Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured it was. Already been to Chattanooga and grabbed one along with the 5P hardtop lol
holler at me if you need any help on the install. Also, it looks like I may have a few extra switches if you are interested in those. I'll know more when I finalize everything this weekend, but it looks like I may have a winch rocker switch, a "roof mounted light bar" rocker, and an extra usb power port. They are all red lighted.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
holler at me if you need any help on the install. Also, it looks like I may have a few extra switches if you are interested in those. I'll know more when I finalize everything this weekend, but it looks like I may have a winch rocker switch, a "roof mounted light bar" rocker, and an extra usb power port. They are all red lighted.
Wow thanks man. I have the 6 gang panel which should be more than enough to suit me. One master for the winch, couple for lights, and the momentary for a horn. I'm not real big on alot of lights n stuff. I hope to mount a door switch for interior lighting. I have a couple proximity switches left over from old job if I can ever find them. They'd be perfect. Anyways, I greatly appreciate the help you've already given me. Let me know when I can return the favor (cause that's how its supposed to work). Ever need anything welded, or anything else just holler.

Reactions: pct and PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow thanks man. I have the 6 gang panel which should be more than enough to suit me. One master for the winch, couple for lights, and the momentary for a horn. I'm not real big on alot of lights n stuff. I hope to mount a door switch for interior lighting. I have a couple proximity switches left over from old job if I can ever find them. They'd be perfect. Anyways, I greatly appreciate the help you've already given me. Let me know when I can return the favor (cause that's how its supposed to work). Ever need anything welded, or anything else just holler.
No worries... I'm always happy to help out any of my hometown pioneer buds.
I like the proximity switch idea!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I finally got around to checking the height of my Honda OEM 27" Bighorn 2.0s today. Pressure was down below 10psi in all tires, and height of the rear tires was 26.25". The front was 25.5". The owners manual says 14psi for the deluxe model, however the tires themselves are marked "not to exceed 36psi". I always felt that 14psi was a little soft for these 4ply tires (too much side wall roll), so I aired them all up to 20psi today, and checked tire height. The rears were at 27.25" and the fronts were 26.5". Seems like the tire height of the factory Bighorn 2.0s, is relatively true to nominal at 20psi, but they may grow some more after leaving at that pressure for a few days.
I'll check them again in a few days to see if they've grown any more, and report back. Hopefully this information will help people considering new tires to get a better feel for what sizes will fit on the stock machine.
when it says don't exceed 36 psi it is talking about mounting and hoping on beed. from past experience I ruined a set of tires on my ranger from running 23-24 psi it caused the side walls to stress crack although the tires weren't new they weren't ancient either I'm sure the extra psi added to that. also shifted a belt in the tire itself. I like to run high pressure as well but now I wont go over 20 for any reason hope this helps

Reactions: Hondasxs
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
when it says don't exceed 36 psi it is talking about mounting and hoping on beed. from past experience I ruined a set of tires on my ranger from running 23-24 psi it caused the side walls to stress crack although the tires weren't new they weren't ancient either I'm sure the extra psi added to that. also shifted a belt in the tire itself. I like to run high pressure as well but now I wont go over 20 for any reason hope this helps
Thanks for sharing your experience. It does read like you said. Not to exceed 36psi for mounting. I figured 20psi was a safe place to be. Just seemed like a lot of side wall roll at 14psi. The point I was trying to make is that tire height, on certain tires, is a function of pressure to some degree.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got around to checking the height of my Honda OEM 27" Bighorn 2.0s today. Pressure was down below 10psi in all tires, and height of the rear tires was 26.25". The front was 25.5". The owners manual says 14psi for the deluxe model, however the tires themselves are marked "not to exceed 36psi". I always felt that 14psi was a little soft for these 4ply tires (too much side wall roll), so I aired them all up to 20psi today, and checked tire height. The rears were at 27.25" and the fronts were 26.5". Seems like the tire height of the factory Bighorn 2.0s, is relatively true to nominal at 20psi, but they may grow some more after leaving at that pressure for a few days.
I'll check them again in a few days to see if they've grown any more, and report back. Hopefully this information will help people considering new tires to get a better feel for what sizes will fit on the stock machine.
I rechecked all the tire heights today after letting the tires sit at 20psi all week. There was no change in height. Still just over 27" in the back and right around 26.5" in the front.
As a side note, I like the handling much better at 20psi rather than the OEM suggested 14psi. Much less side wall roll and better responsiveness in the curves.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rechecked all the tire heights today after letting the tires sit at 20psi all week. There was no change in height. Still just over 27" in the back and right around 26.5" in the front.
As a side note, I like the handling much better at 20psi rather than the OEM suggested 14psi. Much less side wall roll and better responsiveness in the curves.
I need to up mine to 20 then. My first ride I thought I had a tire going down. And I noticed it again today while navigating some tricky rocks. I was watching front driver's side tire for placement just in time to see a rock scrape the heck out of the rim.....ouch! It was a sickening sound. Then I remembered I bought this thing to do this very task lol.

advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to up mine to 20 then. My first ride I thought I had a tire going down. And I noticed it again today while navigating some tricky rocks. I was watching front driver's side tire for placement just in time to see a rock scrape the heck out of the rim.....ouch! It was a sickening sound. Then I remembered I bought this thing to do this very task lol.
yea man, it's gonna get some bumps and bruises. unless you just carry old ladies to church in it!
I definitely recommend the 20psi in the stock bighorns. much better feel and a little more ground clearance.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yea man, it's gonna get some bumps and bruises. unless you just carry old ladies to church in it!
I definitely recommend the 20psi in the stock bighorns. much better feel and a little more ground clearance.
I sure could've used it today. I painted several rocks gloss black today lol.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
wow good idea on the door switches then u need the light to slowly go off so u have time to see a bit before it goes out

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I may have an exhaust leak or something... my trail dogs never make it longer than 20 minutes before this happens!
20160227 134302

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
lol thats funny one thing for sure your clutches will last forever cause u must drive smooth
well, that was the first of two assaults on the mountain... the second assault occurred around midnight with me and a couple of my buddies... that's when the real fun takes place! I worked it pretty hard Saturday with no issues to report. The light bar and 45degree front lights are a huge help at night. Reverse lights are really nice to have too.

Reactions: joeymt33 and JACKAL
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
do you have your reverse lights hooked up so u can turn them on any time and they auto come on in reverse

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
do you have your reverse lights hooked up so u can turn them on any time and they auto come on in reverse
They are operated by a switch on my switch plate. I didn't like the idea of having them automatically come on when I put it in reverse. I don't really like having things happen without my control... there's probably a clinical diagnosis for people like me, but that's just the way I am!lol

Reactions: Stauvo and nbomar
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!