Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've bought from Sonix before and didn't have a problem but that definitely looks used. There's a debate whether capacitors are even the way to go. They do store power for when it's needed but also restrict power when they've been drained. I've used them before but am kind of on the fence about them now.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've bought from Sonix before and didn't have a problem but that definitely looks used. There's a debate whether capacitors are even the way to go. They do store power for when it's needed but also restrict power when they've been drained. I've used them before but am kind of on the fence about them now.
I’d like to hook it up to test whether or not it will do what I need it to do, but I guess I will have to wait until I speak with a customer service representative and have this replaced!
My plan is to run this between the fuse box and amps to support larger amp draws at higher volumes. When I combine my batteries on the switch the amp performs flawlessly but that removes the isolation feature! So I’m hoping this will support that little bit of extra amperage needed to prevent the amp from kicking out.
Reviews state improved overall sound.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Return Started! They were going to issue a replacement after they receive return but just requested refund at that time instead!

Still want a cap, so a quick search came up with this...
34050E3D 59DA 4ACF 9F6F 401E99F32688

Almost identical in design but about $100 higher in price! Should see it Wednesday! Gives me a reason to add some Rockford Fosgate decals;)

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yeah, I have a RF sticker on my halfshield. Here's the article I read on capacitors, FWIW.

Why Car Audio Capacitors Don't Work
Good Read!

The 500 microfarad cap I installed in the BEAST definitely helped with the same problem!

The article talks about the added load on the alternator, but with an isolator that wouldn’t occur because current is restricted to one way and only occurs when the primary system is at a minimum voltage otherwise current will not flow into secondary, to the fuse panel, to the CAPACITOR, and then to the amp.

Curious if the AUTOMATIC CHARGING RELAY changes the scenario discussed within the articleo_O

Your thoughtso_O

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Good question! There's so many variables, on one hand it can be pulling additional power and on the other restricting power. Just like a ground loop isolator reduces power but gives you cleaner sound. That's why I said I was on the fence about them now, it's like what's the lesser of two evils? I believe they do help for short bursts of cranking but if you're jamming for a period of time...o_O

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good Read!

The 500 microfarad cap I installed in the BEAST definitely helped with the same problem!

The article talks about the added load on the alternator, but with an isolator that wouldn’t occur because current is restricted to one way and only occurs when the primary system is at a minimum voltage otherwise current will not flow into secondary, to the fuse panel, to the CAPACITOR, and then to the amp.

Curious if the AUTOMATIC CHARGING RELAY changes the scenario discussed within the articleo_O

Your thoughtso_O
I’ve got a large cap on mine and it works awesome. They charge so much more efficiently it’s not near the draw of a battery.

Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Good question! There's so many variables, on one hand it can be pulling additional power and on the other restricting power. Just like a ground loop isolator reduces power but gives you cleaner sound. That's why I said I was on the fence about them now, it's like what's the lesser of two evils? I believe they do help for short bursts of cranking but if you're jamming for a period of time...o_O
I do have to say I am excited to test it! :)

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Wanted to test the impact of zero gauge wiring in comparison to the 4 gauge prior to installing the cap and wanted to protect it against the elements by waterproofing it a bit...
A69FF249 C14A 46C5 B9D5 C1F47E3AD225 267C0ABA 20C4 4E11 BE21 0177DE4117B7
Removed the end caps on both side and applied silicon to them along with end cap screws and other entry points which may allow water to enter and cause problems!

Completed testing today and the wiring difference alone is noticeable! Couldn’t get the amp to kick out like it was before but want to play around with it a bit more before the cap so that I can determine its impact on the system!

Maybe this weekend I will hook up the Rockford Fosgate Hybrid Capacitor

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Eltobgi, is that a front/rear mount winch set up? If so, id appreciate any details you can share, love to do the same thing!
Yes it is! Simply ran two sets of leads. One to the front and one to the back...
40696E23 5958 4578 8F4C 182F83BEA1E8
Notice in the pic here two leads off the solenoid.
With this set up you use only one winch. Move it to the location that’s needed;)

advertisement