P1000 Thinking of switching to RZR 900

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After a year and a half and 1,800 Miles, I’m considering trading my 2016 P1000-3 non-EPS on a Polaris RZR 900 non-EPS. I am not impressed with the quality of the P1000. Anybody considering a similar move?

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been there done that, Polaris isn't for me but some love them. Good luck

Reactions: BWAF and Remington
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After a year and a half and 1,800 Miles, I’m considering trading my 2016 P1000-3 non-EPS on a Polaris RZR 900 non-EPS. I am not impressed with the quality of the P1000. Anybody considering a similar move?
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a non eps machine....also not real sure why anyone would buy a polaris. Lots of things I'd buy before that. But I wish ya luck.

Care to share what you mean when you say you're not impressed with the quality?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good luck to you.
My son is trying to get rid of his Ranger to buy a Pioneer and EPS is just one of many reasons why he wants to.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Went from an ‘03 Rincon to my ‘16 P1000. The quality between the two is different. Some of the welds on the P1000 look like they were made by some millennial in high school weld shop. Also the fact that they couldn’t even line up the toe properly on the front end from the factory (original tires wore terribly). Finally, the machine left me stranded after getting water in the fuel tank after sitting outside overnight in a rainstorm. All very disappointing when the only reason I wanted to buy a Honda was for quality, dependability, and craftsmanship. I never wanted a machine as utilitarian as a P1000 in the first place. Brand loyalty led me to it. Had I known the issues to come, I would have given RZR a run for the money maybe.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You are concerned about quality and you are going to switch to a popo ? Are you serious ?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Never know You may be that .001 % of Polaris owners that are actually happy...I wouldn't buy the Polaris.
Can am or wildcat would be my first choices

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Went from an ‘03 Rincon to my ‘16 P1000. The quality between the two is different. Some of the welds on the P1000 look like they were made by some millennial in high school weld shop. Also the fact that they couldn’t even line up the toe properly on the front end from the factory (original tires wore terribly). Finally, the machine left me stranded after getting water in the fuel tank after sitting outside overnight in a rainstorm. All very disappointing when the only reason I wanted to buy a Honda was for quality, dependability, and craftsmanship. I never wanted a machine as utilitarian as a P1000 in the first place. Brand loyalty led me to it. Had I known the issues to come, I would have given RZR a run for the money maybe.
Not to pile on here, but you complained about the toe and you wore terribly . If you knew about the toe being out, most would have thought you were a Genius Since you noticed it and made the extremely easy adjustment and would still have those tires! Either way..good luck, Ive had Polaris, just sold my sportsman browning edition quad I’ve had since new in 07’ and you want to talk about quality control issues? How much time you got?

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Two different animals. A pioneer is half fun and half work. A RZR is made to rip and tear. Does a great job if that's what you want. But you can't compare the two. Buy a blaster if that's what you want, or buy something that can be used for work. Again, no comparison between the two. I have seen just as many problems with Polaris as any other brand on the market today.
I'm not sure why anyone would buy a non eps machine.

Paychecks normally determine what you buy, I could be wrong though.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Maintenance, like an alignment is hard... You should try a Polaris if you really like working on machines. The fuel tank vent might be poor placement for people that neglect their machines but the rest of us fixed that issue with extended vent lines before out first ride. I also wouldn't call Polaris weld quality top notch but they are ahead of china and Arctic Cat usually

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

So...
1. some welds aren't as pretty as desired
2. Toe was off and you ignored it until tires were toast
3. You left it in the pouring rain and were surprised it caused an issue....

Polaris is right up your alley.

Ok I'm giving you crap but you had to know it was coming.

Honest talk here...

If you want less utility I'd probably buy the can am commander. It's a good rig. It has it's fair share of heat issues though. Belts require a bit of intelligence to make them last but they can last. I also like the Yamaha wolverine. They have a great belt drive tranny, probably the best, and it's a sweet little rig. Much less power though compared to the honda 1000. The best mechanic in my area will tell you if he had to pick one company to keep him in business it would be polaris. So they've got that going for them.

Last edited:
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If the cost of power steering added to a machine are going to make or break a guy, then guy should probably just not buy it at all.

I certainly don’t regret not getting power steering. I’m always pretty much steering with one hand and it’s one less item to encounter problems with. If I make a move to a different machine, it will for sure not have eps.

Reactions: Caper
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So...
1. some welds aren't as pretty as desired
2. Toe was off and you ignored it until tires were toast
3. You left it in the pouring rain and were surprised it caused an issue....

1. Yes, a legitimate concern of poor quality control.
2. I corrected the Toe at the first sign of tire wear, but once tires start to feather/cup, there’s no correcting that...but, another legit quality control issue.
3. Should be able to sit outside in the rain, and be okay yes.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Buy the rzr but make it a point to come back in a year and a half and let us know the issues you had with that. All machines have their issues and you do what you can to rectify them. Welds look like sh** but could be a broken or tweaked frame. Had a toe issue but not cv or bearing problems. Left out and not running in the pouring rain might drown any sxs. There are much worse problems to have in the big scheme of things, these are minor issues. o_O

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!