Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The toe out isn’t a quality control problem... that’s the default setting from Honda.

I’m not saying it’s a good thing but it’s not a quality control issue.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Polaris has earned a reputation for poor quality, and rightfully so. They went through a decade of poor engineering and poor quality control (2005 - 2014). But like Dodge trucks, they have since done a knee-jerk reaction and improved on every new model released since July 1st 2014 (2015 year models). You couldn't pay me to own a pre 1994 Dodge but they have a top notch pick-up truck now! Gone are Polaris' electrical problems with harnesses and the like. Re-designed/larger/better materials used on their CVTs make it a lot harder to ruin or break a belt (still possible by sheer stupidity). I had a 2015 Ranger and never had a minute's trouble with it except for the weight pins and buttons in the clutch (normal wear item). Nothing to be afraid of on any new Polaris model released after July 1st, 2015. Good luck.

Reactions: Plumber32
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Polaris has earned a reputation for poor quality, and rightfully so. They went through a decade of poor engineering and poor quality control (2005 - 2014). But like Dodge trucks, they have since done a knee-jerk reaction and improved on every new model released since July 1st 2014 (2015 year models). You couldn't pay me to own a pre 1994 Dodge but they have a top notch pick-up truck now! Gone are Polaris' electrical problems with harnesses and the like. Re-designed/larger/better materials used on their CVTs make it a lot harder to ruin or break a belt (still possible by sheer stupidity). I had a 2015 Ranger and never had a minute's trouble with it except for the weight pins and buttons in the clutch (normal wear item). Nothing to be afraid of on any new Polaris model released after July 1st, 2015. Good luck.
All S x S's have their quirks, learn to deal with them and you will have a lot of fun. I love my Honda, but the clutch and heat issues sure did give anti Honda groups a lot of amo! I'm very happy with mine now, Honda really missed some simple flaws? The fathom Talon will have to wait, wife and I were on a short road trip yesterday and were talking about my plans before the recession, I was 3 months away from ordering a Cobra kit car, I may be ordering one in the next year.

M

Moriarty

Jul 8, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had a 2016 rzr xpt. It burned to the ground this week end. I take great care of all my machines. Clean and maintain had about 70 hrs on it. So looking to move back to Honda. That machine had ALOT of design flaws and it’s not cheap. I’m very disappointed in Polaris.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had a 2016 rzr xpt. It burned to the ground this week end. I take great care of all my machines. Clean and maintain had about 70 hrs on it. So looking to move back to Honda. That machine had ALOT of design flaws and it’s not cheap. I’m very disappointed in Polaris.
WOW! I'm sorry! Hope on one was burned! Have any idea how it happened? I'm not a basher, there are a lot of Polaris's out there running around that don't have burning issues. Any ways welcome back!

Reactions: BWAF
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Wouldn't have a Polaris up my ass if I had room for an air show. I've worked on them for the last 10yrs and they're QC is out of control.

LOLOLOL!!!! I just about spit out my coffee!! I'm gonna steal that line dude, that's awesome!

Now... OP, did you really expect any different responses than what you got? You're on a Honda forum for Gods sake! LOL!

In all seriousness; I NEED my machine to be utilitarian, I just want it to be fun too. I looked at the Polaris in 2015. Looked at 'em really hard. I joined forums, read tons of posts and just generally educated myself. I found out pretty quickly that the Polaris brand was not very reliable. Every other thread was "broke another axle" ..."blew another belt on todays' ride" etc, etc, etc.. Honda was not a choice because at that point they only had the 700 with no low range. I won't own a SxS without low range.
In the end, after talking to guys that have owned several brands, I bought a Yamaha Viking. It was an excellent choice. It took myself and my wife miles and MILES out into the sticks and always got us home.

After almost 3 years with the Viking I was tiring of the noise and lack of power. By this point, my wife now works at our local Can Am, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris dealer. (she actually works in the Harley side) The owner is a friend of mine. I could get a Polaris for cost. The General fits my needs.. utilitarian, yet sporty, quiet, comfy.. BUT;

Like the guy above that's worked on them for 10 years.. I talked to the service manager at my wifes work. I looked in the shop. Many times. Again, this is a shop for Kawi, Yamaha, CanAm (all Bombardier products) Suzuki, KTM, and Harley Davidson.

You know what the shop was always full of?

Polaris side by sides.

So here I am. With my Honda. :)

Do some more research before you jump ship. If you want more sport, I'd definitely go CanAm loooonnnng before Polaris.

either way... good luck!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
LOLOLOL!!!! I just about spit out my coffee!! I'm gonna steal that line dude, that's awesome!

Now... OP, did you really expect any different responses than what you got? You're on a Honda forum for Gods sake! LOL!

In all seriousness; I NEED my machine to be utilitarian, I just want it to be fun too. I looked at the Polaris in 2015. Looked at 'em really hard. I joined forums, read tons of posts and just generally educated myself. I found out pretty quickly that the Polaris brand was not very reliable. Every other thread was "broke another axle" ..."blew another belt on todays' ride" etc, etc, etc.. Honda was not a choice because at that point they only had the 700 with no low range. I won't own a SxS without low range.
In the end, after talking to guys that have owned several brands, I bought a Yamaha Viking. It was an excellent choice. It took myself and my wife miles and MILES out into the sticks and always got us home.

After almost 3 years with the Viking I was tiring of the noise and lack of power. By this point, my wife now works at our local Can Am, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris dealer. (she actually works in the Harley side) The owner is a friend of mine. I could get a Polaris for cost. The General fits my needs.. utilitarian, yet sporty, quiet, comfy.. BUT;

Like the guy above that's worked on them for 10 years.. I talked to the service manager at my wifes work. I looked in the shop. Many times. Again, this is a shop for Kawi, Yamaha, CanAm (all Bombardier products) Suzuki, KTM, and Harley Davidson.

Polaris side by sides.

Do some more research before you jump ship. If you want more sport, I'd definitely go CanAm loooonnnng before Polaris.

either way... good luck!
Well Poop! Traiter!

Reactions: nick253

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Polaris side by sides.

either way... good luck!

I had a Maverick and had zero issues with it. I'd do a Commander but can't take the heat that they put off.

Reactions: mjn
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
But the toe alignment will be set out on it also, and he has told us already that it’s a deal breaker. Sounds like his mind is set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And power steering just isn't worth the risk. I wish I could take it off my truck too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After a year and a half and 1,800 Miles, I’m considering trading my 2016 P1000-3 non-EPS on a Polaris RZR 900 non-EPS. I am not impressed with the quality of the P1000. Anybody considering a similar move?
I know you're catching a lot of crap and I want to help you out. Maybe consider a new thread or a pole.
"If you couldn't buy a Honda pioneer what would you buy"

For me it would most definitely be a Can Am if not a Honda.

Every company has their horror stories and their ran forever stories. Some companies just have a lot more of one than the other. We all know Ford and Honda run forever while dodge and polaris keep the mechanics busy

I do hope at the end of the day you find something that keeps you out riding and supporting our sport.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
If there were no Pioneer...
I guess the new X2 would be the thing, but that's not really a sport machine like the RZR, nor do I want a pure sport. I love that big old bed.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know you're catching a lot of crap and I want to help you out. Maybe consider a new thread or a pole.
"If you couldn't buy a Honda pioneer what would you buy"

For me it would most definitely be a Can Am if not a Honda.

Every company has their horror stories and their ran forever stories. Some companies just have a lot more of one than the other. We all know Ford and Honda run forever while dodge and polaris keep the mechanics busy

I do hope at the end of the day you find something that keeps you out riding and supporting our sport.

As a full blooded Chevy guy I gotta say, I'd take a Ford 300 cubic inch inline six as a replacement for my 6.0 V8 in a heartbeat! Smooth as buttah!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!