P500 Tire Bonnets or!!

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Instead of tire bonnets.Would this work? ratchet to the stock wheel to trailer..
Thoughts.....
Our am I nuts?? Be nice IMG 0747

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Actually, I can't think of a reason why it won't work as long as they don't come loose and everything has sufficient working load strength.
No....hook to frame
or at least rack
....IMO....

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Yeah, it doesn't keep from moving front to back.
But, if you used 4, one in each wheel, and angled two front and two back, I think would be fine.
Just don't put at top of wheel.
Put at point to where it wont roll. Say front wheel pulling forward, you would want at 9:00 position, back wheel pulling back you would want at 3:00 position. Know what I mean?

Reactions: sgerksinwi and JTW
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Put one in the rear wheels anchored aft, and one in the front wheels anchored foward. Should work.

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Yeah, it doesn't keep from moving front to back.
But, if you used 4, one in each wheel, and angled two front and two back, I think would be fine.
Just don't put at top of wheel.
Put at point to where it wont roll. Say front wheel pulling forward, you would want at 9:00 position, back wheel pulling back you would want at 3:00 position. Know what I mean?

I assumed a configuration like hambone describes. Yes, 4 and low on the wheel would probably be optimal.

I have 4 D rings(two in front and two in back) and strap to the frame of the UTV but this should work if done correctly. All of my hardware has a minimum of 2000lb WORKING load. My utv is ~1300lbs as configured so in theory one mount point should hold the whole load.

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
I did plan to have ratchet on all 4 wheels.
As for the rolling aspect isn't the bonnets used for the suspension can actually move the way it's design
to do
I can't see this way is any different than bonnets
Also the correct load straps

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
Wondering why you wouldn't want to go to the frame? If you use ratchet straps you can secure the weight of the machine by keeping the suspension from letting it bounce around outside of where the wheels are held? Seems like it could be changing the dynamics of the load if the suspension is allowing movement. Not saying you're wrong or I'm right, just wondering.

Reactions: sgerksinwi
sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Wondering why you wouldn't want to go to the frame? If you use ratchet straps you can secure the weight of the machine by keeping the suspension from letting it bounce around outside of where the wheels are held? Seems like it could be changing the dynamics of the load if the suspension is allowing movement. Not saying you're wrong or I'm right, just wondering.
Just got done reading about bonnets interesting concept
The theory is the suspension is suppose to move like it's design to do
They say that the straps never comes loose
Thank for the reply Just wanted some options

advertisement
bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016

I strap to the frame but it is slim pickings for clear spots to strap onto. The suspension looks easier but my turnbuckles are too long to allow a suspension mount. I'm mulling over a better solution.

J

Jshell3

I run a single chain across the front of my trailer. Thread it thru the frame up around the grill on both sides, then back to the trailer. It's spring hooked. I compress the front shocks down and hook.
A little noisy, but only takes seconds to release.
Also my trailer has a pretty good gate as a backup plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We use these for our P1K-5 and they are great. $ 70.00 for all 4 wheels. We pulled it from Creede, Colorado to Mena, AR and never had to adjust the straps. They were just as tight when we got here as they were when we left. Takes about 5 minutes to strap all 4 wheels. Nothing quite like having the best tool for the job.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We use these for our P1K-5 and they are great. $ 70.00 for all 4 wheels. We pulled it from Creede, Colorado to Mena, AR and never had to adjust the straps. They were just as tight when we got here as they were when we left. Takes about 5 minutes to strap all 4 wheels. Nothing quite like having the best tool for the job.

View attachment 24460
I was hoping you'd get in on this. How you doin fellar?

Last edited:
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 24460
Where can one find these you show here. That seems like a good deal.

J

JTW

One of my buddies as a good setup on his trailer... he runs a chain through the shackle he keeps in the hitch and then has a boat winch on the front he wraps around the front bumper and cranks tight. It's a single machine setup, but it works well.

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Tractor supply and harbor freight both sell bonnets... jus sayin.

View attachment 24455
Ya I know Do you like them over straps?? I was just thinking of using the straps to the wheels.
With the bonnets you have to line up exactly in the same spot with straps you won't need to be perfect or when you have different rigs

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!