futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Example:

9" wide tire on 5+2 offset, stance width 59".
How much total stance width is added by changing to a 10" wide tire?

I'm wondering if it's an additional .57" (2/7"%) of 2" or, 28.5% of 1" added each side.
A 5+2 wheel having 71.5% of rubber inside the offset, and 28.5% of rubber on the outside.

Is this correct or have I overthunk it? 🤯

(Mods, feel free of course to move this thread. I wasn't sure where to put it.)

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It should be 1/2 the difference in the width on the same rim. 1/2” on each tire making it 60” overall width if I’m understanding your question.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Example:

9" wide tire on 5+2 offset, stance width 59".
How much total stance width is added by changing to a 10" wide tire?

I'm wondering if it's an additional .57" (2/7"%) of 2" or, 28.5% of 1" added each side.
A 5+2 wheel having 71.5% of rubber inside the offset, and 28.5% of rubber on the outside.

Is this correct or have I overthunk it? 🤯

(Mods, feel free of course to move this thread. I wasn't sure where to put it.)
More or less what Vikes said 👇
It should be 1/2 the difference in the width on the same rim. 1/2” on each tire making it 60” overall width if I’m understanding your question.

Also, you're overthinking it......🤷‍♂️

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm goin' with the overthinking it, it's a 50" machine and it's going to be tippy. Wildly offset wheels might help but there goes your 50" and scrub radius might cause steering issues. Only you know if your trail system, including however you use the buggy, will support a P1K or Talon's width.

Reactions: EMAW
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520

So, changing from 9" to 10" tires results in 1" of added width, regardless of offset?

More or less what Vikes said 👇

More or less?

I'm goin' with the overthinking it, it's a 50" machine and it's going to be tippy. Wildly offset wheels might help but there goes your 50" and scrub radius might cause steering issues. Only you know if your trail system, including however you use the buggy, will support a P1K or Talon's width.

You're assuming and addressing concerns not brought up here. Also: a 5+2 offset is "wildly offset"?

Reactions: EMAW and JenElio
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
How much does stance width change if going from 9" to 10" tire, on 5+2 offset wheels?

Reactions: EMAW and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
More or less?
Yes, more or less.......a 10" tire has different sidewall bulge depending on the width of the wheel.

So, more or less about 1/2" wider then a 9". I'm sure there's some dance formula out there to be extremely precise but 🤷‍♂️ does it really matter? Is a 1/4" give or take that big a deal?

Reactions: trigger and EMAW
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
My example is merely that: an example.
Not a situation...

Trying to make decisions on wheel offset, overall width, front-to-rear tracking, tire widths, tire weights, etc.

So yeah, the math would help if it's out there...

Reactions: JenElio and EMAW
advertisement
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This site might be helpful. I used it when getting aftermarket tires and rims for my wife 4Runner

Reactions: JenElio and EMAW
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, changing from 9" to 10" tires results in 1" of added width, regardless of offset?
Yes…provided you are using the same rim when comparing tires and overall width.

It’s only 1/2” per tire as the tire is centered on the bead center line.

Now if you consider offset rims, you grow the width by 2x the offset distance on the width of the machine.

If you went to 10” tires, and rims that pushed out 1” and your starting width was 50”, the new tire width would be closer to 53”….1 inch from the tires and 2” from the rims.

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
^^There's your answer.^^
I’m trying to understand this as well… and it is making my brain hurt.

So my understanding is the bead center line is the center of the wheel width?

If that is so.. does this hold true for this example. Trying to be super simple so I can understand this. (I am aware these tire setups are unrealistic, just simplifying for numbers)

A 10 inch wheel would have a centerline at 5 inches. Let say with a 10 inch tire would be 5 inches of tire either side of the centerline. Now add in the fact the off set is 6+4. Now you have 6 inches of tire on one side of the offset and 4 inches on the other. Now let’s change that offset to 8+2. That’s 8 / 2 of tire on either side of the offset. Correct?

So now change the tire to a wider tire.. in theory you should only get 20% of the added tire width outside the offset on each side to add overall correct? On 8+2. So if I bump the tire to a 12 .. at 20% of added tire width to the outside of the offset I am only adding .4 of inch and not .5. This would add .8 inches of overall machine width and not 1 inch, correct?

Seriously, my head hurts.

• Haha
Reactions: trigger and JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I’m trying to understand this as well… and it is making my brain hurt.

So my understanding is the bead center line is the center of the wheel width?

If that is so.. does this hold true for this example. Trying to be super simple so I can understand this. (I am aware these tire setups are unrealistic, just simplifying for numbers)

A 10 inch wheel would have a centerline at 5 inches. Let say with a 10 inch tire would be 5 inches of tire either side of the centerline. Now add in the fact the off set is 6+4. Now you have 6 inches of tire on one side of the offset and 4 inches on the other. Now let’s change that offset to 8+2. That’s 8 / 2 of tire on either side of the offset. Correct?

So now change the tire to a wider tire.. in theory you should only get 20% of the added tire width outside the offset on each side to add overall correct? On 8+2. So if I bump the tire to a 12 .. at 20% of added tire width to the outside of the offset I am only adding .4 of inch and not .5. This would add .8 inches of overall machine width and not 1 inch, correct?

Seriously, my head hurts.
You're making my head hurt too 🫨😂

So, a 6+4 offset would be on a 10" wheel not tire. An 8+2 you're probably tubbing the SXS 😂😂

Now I'm no expert mathematician, so don't go quoting me or pulling up dictionary excerpts to shove in my face.....🙄

I "think" it's like this.......of you have a stock 6+1 wheel with a 9" tire (1" of tire on each side of wheel) putting you at a 50" width. If you change to a 5+2 offset (still a 7" wheel) and a 10" tire, you're adding (per side) another 1.5" of tire and another 1" of wheel offset (total of 2.5" width to each side) putting you at 55" overall..........🤔 maybe, I could be screwing this all up 🤷‍♂️.........and it's also going to vary by how much psi you run as well, and ply rating, and "actual tire sizing " and so on and so on and so on.......

🤦‍♂️Now my head hurts even more......

Reactions: trigger
KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
So, a 6+4 offset would be on a 10" wheel not tire. An 8+2 you're probably tubbing the SXS 😂😂
Right.. as stated my unrealistic scenario uses a 10inch wheel with a 10 inch tire to simplify the numbers.

I’m not trying to correct or address anything on my buggy, I’m trying figure out and understand the formula for width and tires because the numbers are not adding up.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
It boils down to this, I think:

Assuming a 5+2 wheel, how much of a 9" tire is outside the hub? How much of a 10"?

I'd measure my 9s vs 11s but I'm away from my machines.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You're making my head hurt too 🫨😂

Now I'm no expert mathematician, so don't go quoting me or pulling up dictionary excerpts to shove in my face.....🙄

I "think" it's like this.......of you have a stock 6+1 wheel with a 9" tire (1" of tire on each side of wheel) putting you at a 50" width. If you change to a 5+2 offset (still a 7" wheel) and a 10" tire, you're adding (per side) another 1.5" of tire and another 1" of wheel offset (total of 2.5" width to each side) putting you at 55" overall..........🤔 maybe, I could be screwing this all up 🤷‍♂️.........and it's also going to vary by how much psi you run as well, and ply rating, and "actual tire sizing " and so on and so on and so on.......

🤦‍♂️Now my head hurts even more......
Correct. Centerline of wheel/hub and centerline of tire are two different things. Ideally a 9" tire on a 7" wheel will have 1" of tire past the wheel on each side.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
He had the long travel kit making it basically the same width as a 700

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!