P500 Tired of auto downshift..

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I never use the auto mode on my 17 model,and have never liked the auto downshift while in manual,,so,I'm installing the 16 model module to rid my machine of the auto fluff.The only thing that is different is the programming and one extra wire from the auto switch.The switch,when turned to auto,grounds a pin in the module and puts the auto program into motion.If one wanted to "add" auto,a 17' module and toggle switch grounding the correct pin would do it.Pin A-7 in the module plug is the one.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I never use the auto mode on my 17 model,and have never liked the auto downshift while in manual,,so,I'm installing the 16 model module to rid my machine of the auto fluff.The only thing that is different is the programming and one extra wire from the auto switch.The switch,when turned to auto,grounds a pin in the module and puts the auto program into motion.If one wanted to "add" auto,a 17' module and toggle switch grounding the correct pin would do it.Pin A-7 in the module plug is the one.
When you confirm that it works, let us know. Good info for those who want a full auto.

Reactions: rtn001
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
When you confirm that it works, let us know. Good info for those who want a full auto.
Will do.My 16' module is on order.I have looked the wiring diagrams over well,and only difference I see is the one wire from the Auto switch,so for someone wanting auto,a whole wiring harness would not be needed,only the newer module which can be had for around 150 bucks.Oh,of course the seat belt speed limiter,but can't see anyone "wanting" that.

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500

You be interested in selling that 17 module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Interesting info, thanks for the post @nctrailboss . Wish it was as simple as a dash switch on that wire to go between ‘16 and ‘17 behavior. Just Dreaming. Is there an downshift wire to monkey with?

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Keep us updated. I’d love to have an auto mode on my 16 so that I won’t have to scream at my wife and daughter to SHIFT DOWN!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My module should be here middle of next week,I will have answers then.
Keep us updated. I’d love to have an auto mode on my 16 so that I won’t have to scream at my wife and daughter to SHIFT DOWN!

I'll have to "re-train" my wife downshift.So,screaming works??I'll try that first! LoL

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Interesting info, thanks for the post @nctrailboss . Wish it was as simple as a dash switch on that wire to go between ‘16 and ‘17 behavior. Just Dreaming. Is there an downshift wire to monkey with?
No,looks like all of that is in the programming.When in manual,the 17' box is programmed to downshift at certain speeds.When the switch is turned to auto,it grounds pin A7 and that puts the full auto programming to work.For guys wanting to go auto with a 16' model,other than buying a module and switch,the only thing I see is finding a correct pin to fit the connector at the module.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Ok,part one results of the 16' module plugged into my 17' model....Exactly what I wanted,no more auto downshift AND it shifts smoother!I removed the auto/manual switch from the dash and my winch control plugs in there now.I'm happy.For part 2,I'll let you guys know what you will need to do to go auto/manual if you desire.Stay tuned...

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Ok,part one results of the 16' module plugged into my 17' model....Exactly what I wanted,no more auto downshift AND it shifts smoother!I removed the auto/manual switch from the dash and my winch control plugs in there now.I'm happy.For part 2,I'll let you guys know what you will need to do to go auto/manual if you desire.Stay tuned...
Good job!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Now someone needs to try this the other way around - put the switch and module from a 17+ into a 15 or 16.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!