Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
As of January 1, 2017 SxS now have a license for class I vehicle over 35 mph. Can operate on any county road and cross highways. $10 year.

See attached PDF of the law.
FB IMG 1483676168593

FB IMG 1483676177845

Attachments

• SB2255.pdf
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,545
eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great info here, I was fully planning to do the MSV but now I'm not sure which is the best way to go. I notice the class-I text keeps saying "county roads".. do you think that is an intentional exclusion of roads inside a city limit? I'm not sure why they use "county roads" instead of "state roads".

The MSV text uses "streets" which doesn't seem to exclude anything except a posted speed limit 45 or above.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this..

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Great info here, I was fully planning to do the MSV but now I'm not sure which is the best way to go. I notice the class-I text keeps saying "county roads".. do you think that is an intentional exclusion of roads inside a city limit? I'm not sure why they use "county roads" instead of "state roads".

The MSV text uses "streets" which doesn't seem to exclude anything except a posted speed limit 45 or above.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this..
Well I nothing 100% to go on but... In my humble opinion the MSV and the street designation refers to city or town "streets" and roads that have a speed limit of 45 mph or less. Really this is for golf cart or Cushman type vehicles and the SxS just crept in there even though most lied about max 35mph vehicle capability to the issuing county clerk.

The Class I & Class II OHV license plate removes the max 35 mph vehicle speed limit and removes the 45 mph max "street" speed limit, and allows you to run on any road maintained by the county highway department but not TN DOT maintained highways except to cross them. I believe this plate allows you to run on anything the MSV plate would plus the faster county roads with the typical 55mph speed limit. A street & a road is pretty much the same thing, but the divided highways and interstates are the big no no. I think one would have a lot more latitude / options with the Class I OHV plate.

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks or your input.

So with the Class-I there's no affidavit, you just go in with title and say you want to register as Class-1 vehicle?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Forgot to mention, you have to read the PDF in the first post but NON-Residents of TN can get the same access via a 30 day permit for $4 plus a $2 fee to the issuing county clerk, no plate would be issued, just the permit that gives you the same access. This would be great for those staying a week plus at Royal Blue etc. from out of state as many country roads can connect and get you back to camp in a hurry and be legal doing so.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks or your input.

So with the Class-I there's no affidavit, you just go in with title and say you want to register as Class-1 vehicle?
That is my understanding, take in your title or copy of it and they will register it as a Class I or II OHV then you will have the same registration slip as a car etc.

Heck I suspect as long as you have the VIN# and give them the specifics your engine is 999cc, 475cc, or 689cc that's about all they need.

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
That is my understanding, take in your title or copy of it and they will register it as a Class I or II OHV then you will have the same registration slip as a car etc.

Heck I suspect as long as you have the VIN# and give them the specifics your engine is 999cc, 475cc, or 689cc that's about all they need.

Nice, I'll find out Friday! lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Forgot to mention, you have to read the PDF in the first post but NON-Residents of TN can get the same access via a 30 day permit for $4 plus a $2 fee to the issuing county clerk, no plate would be issued, just the permit that gives you the same access. This would be great for those staying a week plus at Royal Blue etc. from out of state as many country roads can connect and get you back to camp in a hurry and be legal doing so.
Hey @JACKAL you would still need the off road permit there though correct?

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey @JACKAL you would still need the off road permit there though correct?
Yes, if you are referring to the TWRA 250,000 acres commonly called Royal Blue. That's a special use permit for all TN OHV trails, essentially it is cheaper to buy the small game hunting permits than the actual OHV permit, even thier signs posted say you have to have one or the other to access the TWRA units, which means any of them statewide.

For the purpose of the forum ride next April the class I or II permit is not needed. But if you were going to stick around and have a local like me show you around before or after the planned forum ride, it would help.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
OK that's what I was thinking I was just hoping.thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I nothing 100% to go on but... In my humble opinion the MSV and the street designation refers to city or town "streets" and roads that have a speed limit of 45 mph or less. Really this is for golf cart or Cushman type vehicles and the SxS just crept in there even though most lied about max 35mph vehicle capability to the issuing county clerk.

The Class I & Class II OHV license plate removes the max 35 mph vehicle speed limit and removes the 45 mph max "street" speed limit, and allows you to run on any road maintained by the county highway department but not TN DOT maintained highways except to cross them. I believe this plate allows you to run on anything the MSV plate would plus the faster county roads with the typical 55mph speed limit. A street & a road is pretty much the same thing, but the divided highways and interstates are the big no no. I think one would have a lot more latitude / options with the Class I OHV plate.
Great info

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Bill of sale would most like do

J

JTW

Yes, if you are referring to the TWRA 250,000 acres commonly called Royal Blue. That's a special use permit for all TN OHV trails, essentially it is cheaper to buy the small game hunting permits than the actual OHV permit, even thier signs posted say you have to have one or the other to access the TWRA units, which means any of them statewide.

For the purpose of the forum ride next April the class I or II permit is not needed. But if you were going to stick around and have a local like me show you around before or after the planned forum ride, it would help.
So are you saying we should come a couple days earlier?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are these reciprocal in other states? What will happen if you go to Mississippi or Arkansas?

I know they are in FL. Seen them at the beach the last few summers.

J

JTW

Are you speculating or are you sure?

We don't have licensing in ky so there's no reciprocity to be had.. I took it as you were asking if it will work anywhere.

As for states that allow licensing of atvs.. I would speculate that states are just doing this for money.. so I would suspect it will be like non resident hunting licenses. You're just out of luck.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Are these reciprocal in other states? What will happen if you go to Mississippi or Arkansas?

In Mississippi u are not aloud to ride on the road at all onles your sxs is not able to go over 25 mph and u have one of them triangles that designat it as farm equipment and only on farm roads or country roads. :(

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!