P1000 Too good to pass up?

D

Dasmoeturhead

What is this clutch issue, I haven’t heard anything about it. Is there a recall?

Not a recall.

Reactions: ohanacreek
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
What is this clutch issue, I haven’t heard anything about it. Is there a recall?
Go with an 18 as it will have the clutch upgrade and heat shield fix under the seat. My dealer offered me one for 14k. The 700 has been a great machine for me but the performance out of a p1000 puts it in another league. I am still conflicted whether to buy the p 1000-3 or the new Ranger. Ranger has snow plow attachment built right into its bumper and will handle slow speed operations better. Take a gander and see what you think but it sounds like the 700 may meet your needs too.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think Honda calls it a update not a recall but it is the same thing.

No its not a "recall" is required by the CPSC(fed government) due to a serious safety issue and has to have a remedy within a certain SHORT period of time. It usually involves a do not sell, and a do not ride on a SxS, sometimes a do not drive on a vehicle( dads chevy work truck had a do not drive on his). These usually require multiple someones to have died to bring the court into this.

An update is an entirely voluntary change made by a company due to a defect usually due to an outpouring of customer dissatisfaction (not likely for any one to have died or the company opens themselves up to litigation). The company does not have to do this they do this to please the customer not their bottom line.

So there is a HUGE difference between the two.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Go with an 18 as it will have the clutch upgrade and heat shield fix under the seat. My dealer offered me one for 14k. The 700 has been a great machine for me but the performance out of a p1000 puts it in another league. I am still conflicted whether to buy the p 1000-3 or the new Ranger. Ranger has snow plow attachment built right into its bumper and will handle slow speed operations better. Take a gander and see what you think but it sounds like the 700 may meet your needs too.

I love the 1000 but I think the 700 would do what I want. The tearing up of my yard is a big concern for me with the 700 and the $3100.00 savings vs the 1000 is enticing.

That’s where I’m at right now. Going to go look at both again today.

Reactions: knuckledeep
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No its not a "recall" is required by the CPSC(fed government) due to a serious safety issue and has to have a remedy within a certain SHORT period of time. It usually involves a do not sell, and a do not ride on a SxS, sometimes a do not drive on a vehicle( dads chevy work truck had a do not drive on his). These usually require multiple someones to have died to bring the court into this.

An update is an entirely voluntary change made by a company due to a defect usually due to an outpouring of customer dissatisfaction (not likely for any one to have died or the company opens themselves up to litigation). The company does not have to do this they do this to please the customer not their bottom line.

So if I buy the 2017 1000 will Honda do the clutch and heat shield upgrade before I take it home if I request it?

Reactions: knuckledeep
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don’t see anything about the clutch problem in this bulletin just the cabin heat problem. Is there another separate bulletin for the clutch?

Found the bulletin for the clutch problem.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if I buy the 2017 1000 will Honda do the clutch and heat shield upgrade before I take it home if I request it?

I would make that a condition of you buying it, they are trying to get the ones with issues first, then get everyone elses which makes sense.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

OK I need correcting, Thanks for the explanation.

Just buy the 1000 the first time because you will be trading up for it next year if you buy the 700 LOL

over 1,500 miles on my 16 and no clutch problems I had it bogged down a couple of times where it would not spin the tires in low 4 wheel lock it would just kill the engine, that is clutch abuse. :)

B

BAMASXSRIDER

Feb 6, 2017
ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love the 1000 but I think the 700 would do what I want. The tearing up of my yard is a big concern for me with the 700 and the $3100.00 savings vs the 1000 is enticing.

That’s where I’m at right now. Going to go look at both again today.
I loved my 700 except for when I pulled into my drive way to put it in the basement, always left black marks on my white concrete, or on my grass when I would use it around the house. The 1000 is better in almost every way, but the turf mode is the only thing that makes it worth spending the extra money for the 1000 for me. No mater how careful you are the 700 will eat your grass up.

Last edited:
D

Dasmoeturhead

I don’t see anything about the clutch problem in this bulletin just the cabin heat problem. Is there another separate bulletin for the clutch?
Yeah I posted the wrong letter. I guess I didn't have any coffee before I sent that info. Got to watch me. I can't be held responsible unless I have at least 2 coffees in the AM.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd get the 1000 right off the bat. I think you have until september of 2020 to get the clutch upgrade performed, so it's up to you if you want it before delivery or sometime in the next year or 3. Turf mode is very very very nice, even if you are not just driving in your yard. It's easier on the machine. If I forget mine in lock, I immediately realize it first time I slow down and go to turn because there is alot of resistance and it is difficult to turn.

Waylan

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd get the 1000 right off the bat. I think you have until september of 2020 to get the clutch upgrade performed, so it's up to you if you want it before delivery or sometime in the next year or 3. Turf mode is very very very nice, even if you are not just driving in your yard. It's easier on the machine. If I forget mine in lock, I immediately realize it first time I slow down and go to turn because there is alot of resistance and it is difficult to turn.

Waylan

18's all have the updated parts installed as standard equipment on the production line, update program is only for 16-17 year models.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2 cents... I couldn't imagine having a machine that heavy with a constantly locked rear axle. I'm surprised Honda doesn't even offer an open diff condition on the 700. On an atv, you can lean out to avoid the tires tearing up your grass or the concrete tearing up your tires. On a SXS, you're SOL. If the 1000 had a torque converter, it'd be a darn good machine for plowing. I can see why you're on the fence!

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got back from the dealer. The 700 deluxe in all grey with the alloy wheels is a beautiful machine.

Reactions: DG Rider
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
18's all have the updated parts installed as standard equipment on the production line, update program is only for 16-17 year models.

The dealer told me they would upgrade a 2017 1000 any time at the owners request.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2 cents... I couldn't imagine having a machine that heavy with a constantly locked rear axle. I'm surprised Honda doesn't even offer an open diff condition on the 700. On an atv, you can lean out to avoid the tires tearing up your grass or the concrete tearing up your tires. On a SXS, you're SOL. If the 1000 had a torque converter, it'd be a darn good machine for plowing. I can see why you're on the fence!

Agree about the 700 tearing up the grass. Hate to pay $3000.00 more for that feature but it looks like I might have to bite the bullet and do just that.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!