P700 Top speed loss?

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Went for the Sunday ride today with our family. Our inlaws had their P1K5 and we rode the p700-4. Normally we can get our 700 up to near the 45mph top speed (44 to be exact) without much hesitation but today was a different story.

On our way home i noticed that the engine was running a bit warmer than normal, enough that the coolant light came on. I also observed our top speed had dropped to be somewhere to lbetween 32 and 35mph. (Near 10mph less than before)

Some of the things we checked:

Throttle adjustment (went so far as operating the accelerator via the old fashioned hand pull)

Spark arrestor/baffles in muffler (things seemed clean and not loose, though it's hard to jiggle anything inside)

Wheels (jacked machine up to make sure no bearings/breaks were of issue)

Air filter (pulled, wasn't perfect but not very dirty at all)

Coolant (level is fine)

700-4 runs fine/idles as it always has. The only observable thought is that when going from 2nd to 3rd there almost seems to be a stall in power. As if you let off the gas some during the shift. Top speeds were observed on level ground and it was given plenty of time to plateau.

Any thoughts? It should still fall within warranty so it might be headed to the dealer after Labor Day for another warranty repair if needed.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Went for the Sunday ride today with our family. Our inlaws had their P1K5 and we rode the p700-4. Normally we can get our 700 up to near the 45mph top speed (44 to be exact) without much hesitation but today was a different story.

On our way home i noticed that the engine was running a bit warmer than normal, enough that the coolant light came on. I also observed our top speed had dropped to be somewhere to lbetween 32 and 35mph. (Near 10mph less than before)

Some of the things we checked:

Throttle adjustment (went so far as operating the accelerator via the old fashioned hand pull)

Spark arrestor/baffles in muffler (things seemed clean and not loose, though it's hard to jiggle anything inside)

Wheels (jacked machine up to make sure no bearings/breaks were of issue)

Air filter (pulled, wasn't perfect but not very dirty at all)

Coolant (level is fine)

700-4 runs fine/idles as it always has. The only observable thought is that when going from 2nd to 3rd there almost seems to be a stall in power. As if you let off the gas some during the shift. Top speeds were observed on level ground and it was given plenty of time to plateau.

Any thoughts? It should still fall within warranty so it might be headed to the dealer after Labor Day for another warranty repair if needed.

It ate a cam lobe check your valve adjustment.

Reactions: ByronM
T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
It ate a cam lobe check your valve adjustment.

I just got a call back from the dealer. Said they could smell something burnt up in the oil and they suspect that somehow one of the clutches is burnt.

It's a bit discouraging and frightening to have happen as I've never really mudded with the machine nor towed anything. Just had my wife and 2 small kids with.

fingers crossed for warranty. . .

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
First 700 I have heard that on...that should be a warranty issue

Reactions: Deluxe700
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm shocked...if that really is the cause... That would be the 1st P700 I've heard of with a clutch problem...

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm shocked...if that really is the cause... That would be the 1st P700 I've heard of with a clutch problem...

That was most everyone's reaction that I've talked to so far. At this point it sounds like its a bit of a job to get at them so its still a speculative diagnosis as no one has held any failed/bad parts in their hand. They must feel pretty confident in the diagnosis as I think they are going to order the parts and just go for it when they come in.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
That was most everyone's reaction that I've talked to so far. At this point it sounds like its a bit of a job to get at them so its still a speculative diagnosis as no one has held any failed/bad parts in their hand. They must feel pretty confident in the diagnosis as I think they are going to order the parts and just go for it when they come in.
I will be interested to hear the outcome .... It could have just been a "bad" part from the factory, and you just got lucky and picked the machine the "bad" part went in.
If it is a clutch...I can't see it was anything you did at all...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
True. They would have said something...
Since I got my P1 back from the first clutch failure, it's been built proof, I think they got it fixed! And now the heat fix from Honda, I'm stoked!

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Since I got my P1 back from the first clutch failure, it's been built proof, I think they got it fixed! And now the heat fix from Honda, I'm stoked!
Honda doesn't miss the mark often. They will get it right eventually.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think if the oil was too low his dealer would have pointed the blame on him.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I checked the oil during my initial investigation. Was right where it needs to be. I didn't smell it like the dealer did though.
I pulled the tranny on a high-mileage Honda pilot SUV last year with smoked clutches. Man...was that some of the worst smelling fluid I've ever smelled. Like nuclear body odor.

Reactions: swsebek
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
What does burn't oil smell like?
I pulled the tranny on a high-mileage Honda pilot SUV last year with smoked clutches. Man...was that some of the worst smelling fluid I've ever smelled. Like nuclear body odor.
Cool. Do them run in the same oil as the motor like the 700?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What does burn't oil smell like?

Cool. Do them run in the same oil as the motor like the 700?
Nah...just ATF. Can't remember which type...probably Honda type something.

The other distinctive smell you'd get a lot in hotter climates is really sludgy engine or one thats been overheated. A very distinctive smell you get by just opening the oil fill cap.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!