P1000 Trail Armour vs Richocet vs Factory Skid plates

Trailrider

Trailrider

Sep 22, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was going to go with aluminum skids but seems people dont like them like they do the UHMW. I personally don't know never owned a set of skid plates on anything and I've had a lot of toys lol. But that is why I'm asking about skids cause the pioneer looks more vulnerable than anything I've ever had. But thanks for all the input

Reactions: TimG and Mudwing
J

JTW

I started with the aluminum S&S... I then made my own one piece 1/2” uhmw skids. I prefer the uhmw. Aluminum will deform and doesn’t come back to shape. Aluminum IS initially “stronger” but after it gets bowed up you’ve lost that clearance you had originally between skid and what you’re trying to protect. It’s far and above better than the joke of a plate they put on at the factory. But uhmw is best.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is the OE center skid on the LE sufficient if I add ricochet side pieces?
I added the Ricochet side skids, I'm pretty hard on my skids. The factory LE's are deformed slightly on mine. I would say it depends on how hard you are on the bottom of your machine.
I think the plastic skids are better protection but I also think the aluminum may work a little like a heat sink for the engine bay. I have been eyeing the Ricochet hybrids with both materials.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is the OE center skid on the LE sufficient if I add ricochet side pieces?
I wouldn't risk it. If you are wanting to go this route to save $. Maybe buy another used center skid from another LE owners that upgraded.

Trailrider

Trailrider

Sep 22, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a full set of 1/2 inch umhw Modquad / Open Trail skid plates which cover the outer skid tubes for $531.00 delivered, no drilling just bolt on. I found them on ebay.

Are the Ebay skids good quality compared to trail armour

Reactions: TimG
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
Are the Ebay skids good quality compared to trail armour

The skid plates are advertised as Modquad but are made by Open Trail and go by the same part number. Mine came clearly marked in an
Open Trail box and a big Open Trail logo embedded into the skid plates.1/2 inch UHMW and UMW. They look great and very well precision made but I haven't mounted mine yet. I just looked on ebay and this seller "ibuy.isell" has 2 left for $531.46 delivered. For the money compared to other brands I'm tickled sxxtless.

Last edited:
Trailrider

Trailrider

Sep 22, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will have to check them out. Thanks for the info on them.

Chriscoe

Chriscoe

Jun 4, 2018
Seagrove, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have ricochet a arm guards and they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The skid plates are advertised as Modquad but are made by Open Trail and go by the same part number. Mine came clearly marked in an
Open Trail box and a big Open Trail logo embedded into the skid plates.1/2 inch UHMW and UMW. They look great and very well precision made but I haven't mounted mine yet. I just looked on ebay and this seller "ibuy.isell" has 2 left for $531.46 delivered. For the money compared to other brands I'm tickled sxxtless.

Found lots of modquad skids on ebay but they all list SXS1000M3 as model. Will it fit on a 1000-5 or are they different?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Found lots of modquad skids on ebay but they all list SXS1000M3 as model. Will it fit on a 1000-5 or are they different?
I believe @joeymt33 used on of these on his 3 seater without issue. He can probably confirm.
I can't think of any difference between the 2 .

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I believe @joeymt33 used on of these on his 3 seater without issue. He can probably confirm.
I can't think of any difference between the 2 .

I did use that skid plate on the farm Rig. We’ve had no issues out of it but we did drills and extra drainage holes since it did not have very many.

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I did use that skid plate on the farm Rig. We’ve had no issues out of it but we did drills and extra drainage holes since it did not have very many.

Was yours labeled an Open Trail as well ? Open Trail must have used to make them for Modquad I'm assuming. Modquad's website doesn't list any Honda skid plates anymore. Open Trail's website does.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Was yours labeled an Open Trail as well ? Open Trail must have used to make them for Modquad I'm assuming. Modquad's website doesn't list any Honda skid plates anymore. Open Trail's website does.

It does say open trail.

Trailrider

Trailrider

Sep 22, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have looked into them. They look like a decent skid plate for the money.

Trailrider

Trailrider

Sep 22, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone have pics of the ebay skids mounted. If not do the hang over outside rails enough to act like rock sliders?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!