Trailer Hub Bearings

1border4manu

1border4manu

Supporting Member
Jul 4, 2019
Zephyrhills, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
How often should I be greasing the bearings on the trailer used to haul Little Red around? I know to much is just as bad as not enough. Thanks for the help.
20190810 120009

Reactions: rtn001 and BWAF
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly if they aren’t leaking grease I leave them alone.

I try to repack every 3rd year. I know people that do it every year. I also know of trailers that have never seen a grease gun ....ever.

Really depends on the miles.

I give a good violet side to side tire shake every time I hook the trailer. If I sense more play than normal then I’ll dig deeper.

420Rancher

Jun 29, 2019
Innisfil
Also depends if a trailer is used on salt roads. By habit i always stop in the first 20 miles and feel the hubs for heat. Its easy to tell when they are starting to go if you pay attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How often should I be greasing the bearings on the trailer used to haul Little Red around? I know to much is just as bad as not enough. Thanks for the help.View attachment 159587
How often should I be greasing the bearings on the trailer used to haul Little Red around? I know to much is just as bad as not enough. Thanks for the help.View attachment 159587
I couldn't tell, but it looks like you have the bearing buddies hubs caps? That's good! Keep in mind that the seals are designed to keep grease in not water out, never submerge a wheel long enough to launch a boat with a warm wheel, it will vacuum water into the bearings. I've got 16'000 miles on my bearings and going strong. I have a digital thermometer and shoot the wheels, the brake wheels will be a little warmer than the other axel wheels, happy travels!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have some of these in my tow vehicle.everytime I stop for fuel I compair tire and bearing temps.
Screenshot 20191006 203442 Samsung Internet
Very easy to tell if you have a low tire also.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I've been making a 2600 mile and 1200 mile trip every year. I carry a spare hub complete with bearing all greased and read to go just in case. From what I'm seeing cleaning and regreasing every 2-3 years should be about right. My bigger concern is tires. I'm changing tires every other year. (note: aluminum single axle with P500, about a 2000lbs load)

J

JTW

I have some of these in my tow vehicle.everytime I stop for fuel I compair tire and bearing temps.
View attachment 159651
Very easy to tell if you have a low tire also.
That reminds me... I’ve been running my gashed tire from CO and it’s finally got to the point where the plugs won’t hold air longer than a few minutes. So we took it down to the dock and jumped on the boat yesterday. Had my portable air tank and put some air in the tire and headed back to the shop. I was a couple hundred yards from the shop when it went real flat. It pissed me off so I decided to put the spare on. And OMG... I was amazed at how much tire heat was created in such a short distance.

Tundra20

Tundra20

Supporting Member
Oct 14, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
U probably good for a while liked someone mentioned before jack it up feel for play in bearing u do want some play but not alot just a little wiggle the 3500 lb axles dont seem to hold up to many miles in my opinion I would chk every 3-4 mos if u pull that trailer alot

Reactions: BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!