P1000 Trailering

R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have issues with trailering with a hard top on an open trailer? I see in the catalog they do not recommend trailering with an open trailer.

I before I got the glass windshield, I trailered mine everywhere at 70-80 mph. No problem. Have the Honda roof and the 1000-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

ob1jeeper

Dec 20, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ditto here... No issues on a 2016 1000-5 with OEM top & LOTS of miles on the trailer... Both with & without w/shield.

Probably something the lawyers made them put in the sales brochure to cover thier butts... ;)

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just bought mine yesterday. Salesman cautioned to never trailer it backwards (don't back it on to the trailer). Sure to pull the roof off

Reactions: Biteme and JenElio
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's how I trailer mine when I'm not using the toy hauler. I don't tie it down like in the first picture anymore, I secure it the way it shows in the second photo now.

Trail

Trail1

advertisement
J

JimP50

Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Hello all. I have honda p50, I use a 6x10 trailer and use mite-tite hold downs and have hard top and windshield and have had no problems towing with car and motor home. Make sure you secure doors to prevent flapping. Be safe.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a P1000-3 which has a windshield, and I've had no problem with the hard top at all - drive around 60 mph or maybe a little faster. I have soft windows on the doors, and I noticed that they tended to want to blow outward. I opened the little rear window when trailering, and it seems to relieve the air pressure.

M

MVE1476

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have issues with trailering with a hard top on an open trailer? I see in the catalog they do not recommend trailering with an open trailer.
I've got a 2016 Pioneer 1000M5D with a Honda hardtop that I pull on an open trailer. Was told at the dealership not to tow it with the top on, but couldn't find any serious data indicating WHY. I used to put lifting straps over the top but for the past two years have not used anything to add additional strength or ti-down. Pull the rig at 70 MPH regularly on 4 - 5 hour trips to the country. I regularly check the connection/mounting brackets but that's about it.

papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have pulled mine (P5) down the freeway doing 80 mph, the only thing I lost was the weatherstripping that runs down the side of the windshield. I replaced it and super glued them on.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tow my 2017 1000-3 on open trailer, but towing cover (Honda) disintegrated. Now I put straps around cab about 1 foot above windshield to keep doors from blowing off. I'm going to try opening rear flex window to see if it helps. On long trips it is in a toy hauler, so no issues.

Reactions: Biteme
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tow my 2017 1000-3 on open trailer, but towing cover (Honda) disintegrated. Now I put straps around cab about 1 foot above windshield to keep doors from blowing off. I'm going to try opening rear flex window to see if it helps. On long trips it is in a toy hauler, so no issues.
I bought about a 15' length on heavy duty bungee cord (maybe it a little over 1/2 in diameter) on Amazon, and I tied it around the cab to keep my fabric doors from getting torn up. I ran the cord horizontally maybe 12 inches down from the roof, and parallel to the roof. I simply tied a knot in the cord at the right length and stretched it over the entire cab. It is simple and works great. On short trips I just open the small rear window, but on long hauls I still get out the bungee (less than $25 on Amazon as I recall). It firmly secures the fabric door from catching the wind . I use a Aluma 12' tilt, open, hydraulic assist, trailer which is great for the P1000 - very easy on and off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme
Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Add me to the list of successfully towing 1000-5 Pioneers with factory roof in place many times behind our F150 or Ram 3500, at highway speeds. I’ve NEVER placed it backwards on my open aluminum 12’ tilt trailer so I can’t comment whether roof would fail, though I wouldn‘t be surprised.

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just bought mine yesterday. Salesman cautioned to never trailer it backwards (don't back it on to the trailer). Sure to pull the roof off
I realize this a little late but I've towed mine many miles on trailer backwards with the OEM half windshield. no problems.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!