P1000 Trailering

MikeyXX

MikeyXX

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2019
Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Can
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remember to tie down like it's going to hang upside down and handle a sudden stop.

I had 5 thousand pound straps holding the back and the winch holding the front. Had someone cut in front of me and slam on their breaks. I rear ended them and had the straps break. Only thing that stopped me from getting rear ended by the SxS was the winch rope going taut and stopping the SxS. Bent the front LE bumper I had on.

Anyway, I use thick transport straps now.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Remember to tie down like it's going to hang upside down and handle a sudden stop.

I had 5 thousand pound straps holding the back and the winch holding the front. Had someone cut in front of me and slam on their breaks. I rear ended them and had the straps break. Only thing that stopped me from getting rear ended by the SxS was the winch rope going taut and stopping the SxS. Bent the front LE bumper I had on.

Bingo!!!!

I drove to a buddies the other day and saw a $80k truck pulling a $40k SxS on a $1000 trailer with $10 in straps, only 2 Home Depot red/black 500lb straps.

I don’t get it!!!
$100k plus in toys and people WONT buy $100 in good straps.

Steps off soapbox...

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20190427 134031

I use a small 7'x14' Eagle Iron utility trailer to haul mine for now. Loaded, I'm right there for GVWR, so I added heavy duty 225/75R -15 Radial trailer tires that increased weight capacity by appx. 5-700 pounds. And I also replaced and packed the wheel bearings and seals with good USA made while I was in them.
It pulls great and I use 4-15,000# straps on the corners too, but I'd like to supplement it with a tandem axle flatbed or a wide ATV Cargo trailer if COVID doesn't take me out first...

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't have any good pics of the tie downs yet but I'm using two 2" straps on the rear and one on the front for my short 50 mile trips. When I'm able to head for the desert, I'll use two 2"ers, both front and rear. Home Depot has 26' x 2" for $8.97 each (yellow here), hard to beat although they're probably from china. :( I'm at the mall because it's flat, measuring tongue weight, seen here at 250 pounds. The RV is only rated to 350 and I want a safety margin. Two initial trips with the Ranger PU and van have shown it to tow well at 250.

The trailer is an Echo Elite EE-14-14 with a 3500 pound axle - about 2500 pounds with the Talon as seen here. When I head for the desert, that'll jump with about 40 gallons of fuel and assorted camping gear and tools. Note that this trailer is only 82" wide and I have to drive over the fenders (notice wood steps) because of my parking limitations.

I mh7DwWD L

I z6LXDPc L

Last edited:
advertisement
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Daannggg! Maybe chain binders are in order

renosxs

renosxs

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2017
reno, nv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
PJ Trailer, 7714 as seen in my picture. Extra long from storage box placed in the front. Gets a lot of use for yard waste. Have locking tie down shackles on the side and sue 20,000 lb ratchet straps on each corner.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
7' X 18' tandem as I haul 2 machines.

Reactions: Lady01
Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would first say, do the math- Add up trailer weight, extra junk, and fully loaded machine. 90% of the single axle trailers will be overloaded. Remember, even if it has a 3500# axle, the GVWR is usually 2995# to skirt DOT issues. I f you have an accident while knowingly overloaded, they'll own your ass. Get a tandem, aluminum if you can afford it. I went with an Aluma 7814, works perfect.

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I tow our Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe with quite a bit of onboard accessories on a 7x12 aluminum tilt trailer, single torsion spring axle with 2995# gross weight, with US Goodyear Endurance tires. No ramps to deal with. The trailer weighs a claimed 480#, very easy to move around unloaded by hand or with SXS. It tows amazing whether empty or loaded, at any speed I’ve driven, including towing with our Rubicon. It’s real convenient and easy to use. We also have a typical 8x20 steel frame/2x6 wood deck, 10K flatbed with tandem axles. Yeah the trailer is heavy at about 2,800# but it has 4 tires and brakes at each. I do prefer 2 axles and trailer brakes. My aluminum trailer has neither.

Reactions: Lady01 and Frogtown
P1000_DLux

P1000_DLux

Its Only an Opinion Relax
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2020
Belfair, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You never appreciate and understand the differences in trailers until you have to haul some s*** that matters. I'm going to be buying a 16' dual axle trailer, have to be able to put a quad on there and that leaves just a little comfort room between the two. ~$3k new.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a small Living Lite Quicksilver Toy Hauler for my bikes which ultimately landed me on buying the Pioneer because it was the only UTV that would fit, yet still allow more than 3 people. The garage in it is only 7x10 and I ended up pulling off the pull-down screen to be able to pull it in without squatting the rear suspension.

I didn't want to use that for local towing or short day trips, so I picked up a Aluma 6810 (68 inches wide and 10 feet long) with the wood deck. A local dealer had a few year old model sitting on his lot and sold it to me at a good price. The Pioneer fits on it...but sometimes I wish I had gotten 12 foot trailer so I could put the bike on there as well. The good thing about how light it is, and it's size, is that both that and my toy hauler fit in a single parking space that I have to rent on-base. It's light enough to move around by hand easily...even up a grade. Behind the Pioneer, it works out great when I had a yard and had to do chores or move stuff.

IMG 4325 58721550314  34C6445C CF2F 471D A863 58CFCCA1349A

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
L

Lasaun

Nov 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
dont know what your other wants/needs might be trailer wise - but I have upgraded my situation to an enclosed and have an aluminum trailer with wood decking I am going to put up for sale locally - it is a Triton ATV 128-2 - I set it up with the erickson etrack chocks and it has a lockable truck toolbox on front of deck $1,400 - eastern iowa - Mods delete this post if not appropriate. OP pm me a number and I will text a pic if interested. 77x12 will work fine though.
What size enclosed do you recommend for a 1000-5? Don't want to have to crawl out the back! Lol

Reactions: Isaiah and Lady01
C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What size enclosed do you recommend for a 1000-5? Don't want to have to crawl out the back! Lol
I have a 7'x16' v-nose trailer that works just fine "for me" - wider is more comfortable to get in/out but for me is detrimental going down the road etc... so I compromise. Load my buggy tight on the right side of the trailer (which in reality is maybe 6" off centered) and have enough room to turn my body sideways and exit to the back a little, shut buggy door and walk front or back whatever. I am a 250 pounder with most in the gut LOL. At the time my tow rig was marginal for that size trailer - I pickup my new truck on Saturday - damn this hobby is more expensive than my motorcycle hobby!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!