P1000 Transmission noise

J

JTW

I just thought about something. The front diff thing may be what it was. My front end alignment was RIDICULOUSLY out. like front of front wheels were probably 1.5" out from the back of them if not more. The passenger side was the

No, I don't even have 20 hrs on it yet. I think when I get close to my 1 year mark I'm gonna get the extended warranty just for peace of mind. The overheating with this low of mileage on it which was only the 2nd time I've taken it out riding scares the crap out of me. I'm hoping it's just the whole air in the coolant line thing which I'm going to try to purge this weekend.
That's exactly what it is if it's over heating and the back of the rad is clean!

Reactions: sharp

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine did something like this during the first 20 hours - I even asked about it on the forum. If I recall correctly, mine made a rattling sound like in the transmission when lugging. It seems to have gone away or else I just don't notice it any more. I kind of assume there are just some resonant frequencies under engine load that show up in some machines and don't in others. I, for one, am more sensitive to sounds like this. Regardless, the only real failures I've seen with the P1000's have been bad ground causing some computer/shifting issues, and of course the clutch issues. Hot seat and squeaky brakes and water ingestion are others, but those can be avoided or are not really durability issues.

By the way, I lug mine constantly - taking advantage of the noise reduction by running at the lowest rpm that will get the job done - and have had no clutch problems so far.

Have you done the initial 20 hour service? Sorry if you have posted this somewhere and I have missed it.

Waylan
These machines are known to have several rattling chassis/noisy gear problems. Honda dealers say it's normal. When I first got my P1K, I thought there was a problem with the transmission. Loud, clunky, jerky loud shifts that are not mechanically pleasing to the ear. Sounded like it was about to grenade itself! I've had it six months and I've learned to drive it very gingerly. So far, I haven't had any actual breakdowns. Check your floor supports for rattles. Remove your front skid plates. It is the network of rods that go across and front to back of the chassis. They are tied together with zip ties. Mine had one zip tie that was "inside out" and not zipping. Rattled like crazy! Since I fixed that and the doors and bed rattles, all I'm left with is a transmission rattle in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. I wear earplugs to block it out because it gets really aggrivating. Hope this helps!

Reactions: sharp and Big_Daddy
J

JTW

These machines are known to have several rattling chassis/noisy gear problems. Honda dealers say it's normal. When I first got my P1K, I thought there was a problem with the transmission. Loud, clunky, jerky loud shifts that are not mechanically pleasing to the ear. Sounded like it was about to grenade itself! I've had it six months and I've learned to drive it very gingerly. So far, I haven't had any actual breakdowns. Check your floor supports for rattles. Remove your front skid plates. It is the network of rods that go across and front to back of the chassis. They are tied together with zip ties. Mine had one zip tie that was "inside out" and not zipping. Rattled like crazy! Since I fixed that and the doors and bed rattles, all I'm left with is a transmission rattle in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. I wear earplugs to block it out because it gets really aggrivating. Hope this helps!
Lol.. yeah, I've got a rattle somewhere in mine I can't find. It really aggravates the hell out of me!

Reactions: sharp and Big_Daddy
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just thought about something. The front diff thing may be what it was. My front end alignment was RIDICULOUSLY out. like front of front wheels were probably 1.5" out from the back of them if not more. The passenger side was the

No, I don't even have 20 hrs on it yet. I think when I get close to my 1 year mark I'm gonna get the extended warranty just for peace of mind. The overheating with this low of mileage on it which was only the 2nd time I've taken it out riding scares the crap out of me. I'm hoping it's just the whole air in the coolant line thing which I'm going to try to purge this weekend.
Just saw this and realized it looks very SQUIRREL!

I had typed the top part at work and forgot to finish it b4 I left and then didn't realize it had saved it and added it in when I replied to something else when I got home.

What I was saying about the alignment was that the passenger side was out probably 1.25 of the 1.5" it was out which was causing my steering to be at a slight turn to go straight and was certainly causing undue stress on the front end. So the front diff theory could make some sense for the noise in that regard.

Reactions: sharp
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kinda irritating to have to drive a $15K machine gingerly, especially one that is supposed to be rugged and the flagship of their off-road division

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kinda irritating to have to drive a $15K machine gingerly, especially one that is supposed to be rugged and the flagship of their off-road division
Yup. I'm trying to like this machine. But it's really hard. Even as I work out all the oversights one by one that Honda has made, I don't see myself ever "liking" it. It's a convoluted mess of design flaws from front to back. But I'm $17,000.00 under it so...

Reactions: Crow_Hunter and JTW
J

JTW

Yup. I'm trying to like this machine. But it's really hard. Even as I work out all the oversights one by one that Honda has made, I don't see myself ever "liking" it. It's a convoluted mess of design flaws from front to back. But I'm $17,000.00 under it so...
Have clutch issues and tell me about it. I just want it Honda solid! I can look past all the small things and do the cheap fixes but major system unreliability gets to me... now, I do love the machine but I just wish there were a "real" fix for the clutch issue. Mine were slipping BAD... then just stopped. Because it's not slipping now the dealer can't do anything about it. Makes me Leary of taking it on big trips because of it.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have clutch issues and tell me about it. I just want it Honda solid! I can look past all the small things and do the cheap fixes but major system unreliability gets to me... now, I do love the machine but I just wish there were a "real" fix for the clutch issue. Mine were slipping BAD... then just stopped. Because it's not slipping now the dealer can't do anything about it. Makes me Leary of taking it on big trips because of it.
Yeah... What bothers me is that although my clutches haven't actually failed yet, the drivetrain makes such ungraceful sounding/feeling shifts that I cringe when I drive it. And I know that Honda has made wonderful machines of all types. I've owned and still own a few. But with the complexity of the P1K and the limited warranty ( even with a $640.00 extended warranty) on clutches that are known to fail, I am also scared to use it. I bought it strictly for side road work. And when I say work, I mean a tool for employment to generate income to put food on my family's table. - No fun, no offroad, no mud, no sand, no towing, no hauling...and yet I still pray for no breakdowns every time I use it. It may be the machine for some, but it's overengineered and underperforming for my liking. I'm done with 'er. Selling at a huge loss. Worki'n my nerves!!!

J

JTW

Yeah... What bothers me is that although my clutches haven't actually failed yet, the drivetrain makes such ungraceful sounding/feeling shifts that I cringe when I drive it. And I know that Honda has made wonderful machines of all types. I've owned and still own a few. But with the complexity of the P1K and the limited warranty ( even with a $640.00 extended warranty) on clutches that are known to fail, I am also scared to use it. I bought it strictly for side road work. And when I say work, I mean a tool for employment to generate income to put food on my family's table. - No fun, no offroad, no mud, no sand, no towing, no hauling...and yet I still pray for no breakdowns every time I use it. It may be the machine for some, but it's overengineered and underperforming for my liking. I'm done with 'er. Selling at a huge loss. Worki'n my nerves!!!
I get it.. how many miles you have on it? My drivetrain is pretty smooth and quiet.. most of my noise is tires on the road. I really really like the machine... it just needs to be Honda fourtrax reliable! And they'll get it there... but it kinda sucks for us early year guys!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I get it.. how many miles you have on it? My drivetrain is pretty smooth and quiet.. most of my noise is tires on the road. I really really like the machine... it just needs to be Honda fourtrax reliable! And they'll get it there... but it kinda sucks for us early year guys!
I have 1388 miles. 123 hours run time. 200 hours of problem solving time. Six months of worry and regret time. I agree that by the time the 2020 year model arrives, it'll be ironed out. But sucks for us!

Reactions: JTW and Crow_Hunter
advertisement
Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Hey one question when your driving in sand at 25 mph you said the light was on so you were in front diff lock. I'm no expert but I personally try to avoid driving high speed (over 10-15mph) with the front diff locked. Also if your cruising at 25 mph in something like deep sand at the beach I would put it in low. Sand takes a lot of power to move around on I think more then what most people think unless it's wet and your pioneer may be a little happier running that speed in low gear. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: popeye

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!