P1000 Transmission noise

Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
does anyone know if there is a speed limit you're supposed to stay under when in 4WD (not diff lock)? I was riding in my new ride out on the outer banks this weekend and noticed a strange sort of grinding noise almost like the the noise it makes jus before and as the transmission shifts, but it wasn't shifting. It seemed like it was at a point where it probably should shift, sort of at the edge of the rpm range where it would normally shift cruising about 25-28 mph. Just didn't know if I missed something saying don't go that fast in 4WD or not. Anyone else have this or know what it may be? Only things I've don't to it are the vent hose extensions and heat insulation under the seat. if I were to take it to the stealership should I put the vent hoses back and take the insulation off?

Thanks

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello @Big_Daddy.
Sorry for your problems.
Dealer want mind your mods. If they do, your dealer made a personal decision aganlinst you and bigH needs to get involved on your side.

With 4x4 engaged it may make a little bit more of a whine, front the front gears pushing, But shouldn't be a grind.

Would say the 4x4 wasn't fully engaged but sounds like it was.
The 4x4 light came on right and it pulled?

Hummm.. Idk.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Big_Daddy
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've only had mine at 50 in 4WD but didn't notice any additional noise.

Reactions: sharp and Big_Daddy
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello @Big_Daddy.
Sorry for your problems.
Dealer want mind your mods. If they do, your dealer made a personal decision aganlinst you and bigH needs to get involved on your side.

With 4x4 engaged it may make a little bit more of a whine, front the front gears pushing, But shouldn't be a grind.

Would say the 4x4 wasn't fully engaged but sounds like it was.
The 4x4 light came on right and it pulled?

Hummm.. Idk.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

4x4 light was on and it pulled. If I gassed it and it changed gears, it would stop making the noise and if I slowed down it would stop too. I don't have the EPS, so no paddle shifters or I would have just changed gears myself. It wasn't exactly a grind noise. More of a rattle type noise but in the transmission if that makes sense.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is that normal?

It is the clutch slipping. Mine does it all the time. It isn't good to keep it in that zone though eventually they will overheat and potentially fail.

So like Ohana says, don't do that any more than you have to.

advertisement
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is the clutch slipping. Mine does it all the time. It isn't good to keep it in that zone though eventually they will overheat and potentially fail.

So like Ohana says, don't do that any more than you have to.
Even though it only did it in 4WD? It did it for about a half mile stretch in 4wd and I stopped and put it in 2wd and got back to same speed and it didn't do it

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Even though it only did it in 4WD? It did it for about a half mile stretch in 4wd and I stopped and put it in 2wd and got back to same speed and it didn't do it

Depends on how much load was on the interface between the clutch and the flywheel. 4WD does put more rolling resistance on it so it might do it when 4WD is engaged.

Really only notice mine when starting out on a hill or when easing off from a full stop.

I don't know that we are talking about the same thing though. Yours may be something else. Does it do it when in 2WD on a hill or under load?

Reactions: dotman1
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Depends on how much load was on the interface between the clutch and the flywheel. 4WD does put more rolling resistance on it so it might do it when 4WD is engaged.

Really only notice mine when starting out on a hill or when easing off from a full stop.

I don't know that we are talking about the same thing though. Yours may be something else. Does it do it when in 2WD on a hill or under load?
I haven't been on any hills, but it should have been under about the same load in the deep beach sand if not more in 2wd vs 4wd having all 4 pulling through it. But the shift points may be different in 4wd and if it were on the edge of shifting and I didn't speed up or slow down (25 mph speed limit on beach with a new park ranger trying to make himself famous) so I could see it possibly being slipping. The noise is the same as it always makes (although very briefly) just before/as it shifts

J

Jshell3

4x4 light was on and it pulled. If I gassed it and it changed gears, it would stop making the noise and if I slowed down it would stop too. I don't have the EPS, so no paddle shifters or I would have just changed gears myself. It wasn't exactly a grind noise. More of a rattle type noise but in the transmission if that makes sense.
My P500 did exactly this in 4x4... almost like under light load say slight uphill (on asphalt) it rattles / chatters.
But only when slight load. Heavy load wasn't an issue. Slowing down wasn't an issue. Well, if I stabbed the throttle while it was making the noise, it would sharply make the noise, but immediately stop.
Almost like the front end wasn't synchronized (turning / timing w the drive shaft. Slack.

I changed to 2" bigger tires (all the way around). Never had the noise again.

Hope that helps. (Again. P500)

Last edited by a moderator:
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Big Daddy, I just reported in General Pioneer Discussions the same sound you described. Mine is at or nearly 44 MPH in 4WD on dirt/gravel roads. It is a rattle or a chattering mechanical sound. Give it more throttle or a bit less and it goes away, but is prominent enough I can feelit through the floor.

This answer was posted by Lee to my question and it seems plausible...

@Plongson are you familiar with the workings of the front diff?
A few of the power sports OEMs use a 'AP' limited slip.
These are common in ATVs but not so much in a SxS.
The limited slip has two opposing face cams and a bunch of pucks that shuttle back and forth while differentiating.
While differentiating they make an unnerving racket if you are tuned in to it.
4wd and drive in a tight circle or jack the front end up and spin one wheel to hear it.

I know it doesn't really fit your description but it is the only unusual noise I can think of up front.

Test yours again and see if it rattles at +/- 44 mph on a straight stretch. I'm thinking it's the diff locking mechanism in front.

Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Big Daddy, I just reported in General Pioneer Discussions the same sound you described. Mine is at or nearly 44 MPH in 4WD on dirt/gravel roads. It is a rattle or a chattering mechanical sound. Give it more throttle or a bit less and it goes away, but is prominent enough I can feelit through the floor.

This answer was posted by Lee to my question and it seems plausible...

@Plongson are you familiar with the workings of the front diff?
A few of the power sports OEMs use a 'AP' limited slip.
These are common in ATVs but not so much in a SxS.
The limited slip has two opposing face cams and a bunch of pucks that shuttle back and forth while differentiating.
While differentiating they make an unnerving racket if you are tuned in to it.
4wd and drive in a tight circle or jack the front end up and spin one wheel to hear it.

I know it doesn't really fit your description but it is the only unusual noise I can think of up front.

Test yours again and see if it rattles at +/- 44 mph on a straight stretch. I'm thinking it's the diff locking mechanism in front.
Thing is, mine was doing it going straight. I wasn't really turning at all. I was driving in sand out on the beach, so I don't know how or why the diff would be doing that unless something was wrong. Between this and it overheating for no apparent reason, I am seriously questioning my purchase. I certainly don't feel real good about it.

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thing is, mine was doing it going straight. I wasn't really turning at all. I was driving in sand out on the beach, so I don't know how or why the diff would be doing that unless something was wrong. Between this and it overheating for no apparent reason, I am seriously questioning my purchase. I certainly don't feel real good about it.

Yes, mine does it going straight...at 44 mph. That would be one heck of a turn Lol. I have absolutely no remorse with this machine. It's absolutely amazing! I have almost 500 miles on it now and it just keeps running better and better. I would like to know what that rattle is in 4-wheel drive on a fast dirt road.
As I mentioned earlier, I think it is in the front differential locking mechanism. Don't get discouraged with the Pioneer, it's an amazing machine.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Mine did something like this during the first 20 hours - I even asked about it on the forum. If I recall correctly, mine made a rattling sound like in the transmission when lugging. It seems to have gone away or else I just don't notice it any more. I kind of assume there are just some resonant frequencies under engine load that show up in some machines and don't in others. I, for one, am more sensitive to sounds like this. Regardless, the only real failures I've seen with the P1000's have been bad ground causing some computer/shifting issues, and of course the clutch issues. Hot seat and squeaky brakes and water ingestion are others, but those can be avoided or are not really durability issues.

By the way, I lug mine constantly - taking advantage of the noise reduction by running at the lowest rpm that will get the job done - and have had no clutch problems so far.

Have you done the initial 20 hour service? Sorry if you have posted this somewhere and I have missed it.

Waylan

Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just thought about something. The front diff thing may be what it was. My front end alignment was RIDICULOUSLY out. like front of front wheels were probably 1.5" out from the back of them if not more. The passenger side was the
Mine did something like this during the first 20 hours - I even asked about it on the forum. If I recall correctly, mine made a rattling sound like in the transmission when lugging. It seems to have gone away or else I just don't notice it any more. I kind of assume there are just some resonant frequencies under engine load that show up in some machines and don't in others. I, for one, am more sensitive to sounds like this. Regardless, the only real failures I've seen with the P1000's have been bad ground causing some computer/shifting issues, and of course the clutch issues. Hot seat and squeaky brakes and water ingestion are others, but those can be avoided or are not really durability issues.

By the way, I lug mine constantly - taking advantage of the noise reduction by running at the lowest rpm that will get the job done - and have had no clutch problems so far.

Have you done the initial 20 hour service? Sorry if you have posted this somewhere and I have missed it.

Waylan
No, I don't even have 20 hrs on it yet. I think when I get close to my 1 year mark I'm gonna get the extended warranty just for peace of mind. The overheating with this low of mileage on it which was only the 2nd time I've taken it out riding scares the crap out of me. I'm hoping it's just the whole air in the coolant line thing which I'm going to try to purge this weekend.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!