P1000 transmission wont shift past 2nd!

F

FredB

Aug 22, 2016
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am new to this so please bear with me. I have a pioneer 1000 with 34 hours. Has been at the dealer close to a month and they can't figure out why it won't shift. Nor can Honda according to them. It will shift to second and stay there. They have replaced the angle sensor and clutch pac. Honda was supposed to call me today but I never heard from them. I am very flustered with the dealer and Honda. Any ideas?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
First time I have heard of this condition! I recommend if they can't fix it by the time the 2017 Pioneer comes out trade it ASAP! Good luck buddy!

Reactions: joeymt33
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome @FredB,
Sorry to hear about your problems.
So far, I dont think anyone has had a problem you describe so this is new territory for us.
Most transmission problems are clutch related with pack 1 slipping. I'm sure Honda will get you fixed up soon enough.
I really think they are learning as much as we are about unexpected issues in this gen 1 P1K.

Please keep us updated.

See if any other members heard of this! Anyone?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Possibly a bent shifting fork binding up stopping the actuator from shifting?

Reactions: dotman1
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe the ground wires not tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

FredB

Aug 22, 2016
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe the ground wires not tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will tell the dealer. Honda customer service has been poor. They were to call me last Monday and never did. I called them on Wednesday and they assured me they would call me on Thursday. Still waiting for the call. The dealer called today and says a Honda rep is coming in to look at it. Been in the shop this time since August 9th. They have no idea what's wrong with it. Think I made a mistake buying the Honda.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I will tell the dealer. Honda customer service has been poor. They were to call me last Monday and never did. I called them on Wednesday and they assured me they would call me on Thursday. Still waiting for the call. The dealer called today and says a Honda rep is coming in to look at it. Been in the shop this time since August 9th. They have no idea what's wrong with it. Think I made a mistake buying the Honda.

You didn't make a mistake, your experience isn't indicative of every Honda out there.

I'll see if I can dig up some info on the ground wires.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Some reading info on ground wires.

P1000 - Might have a problem

P1000 - Might have a problem

There's one under the drivers seat that could be loose and one on the driver side of the motor that's hard to reach. Check all plugs to make sure they're tight. Battery cables and fuses should be checked too.

Let us know how it turns out. You need to get to enjoying your vehicle. Check this vid from last week, I'm not regretting my purchase. It pulls 30" tires over rough terrain with no issues.

SIGNATURE:
CumminsPusher quote: Boredom + Pioneer = trouble for me. I can't stop. Damn these things guys. I thank god I'm not the only one though. If it's just you then you're crazy if it's a group it's a sport!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
what kind of camera is that showing horizon plane? THATS AWESOME

@drfubar can give you the specifics. I know it's Garmin

SIGNATURE:

advertisement
S

Sunrider

May 20, 2016
Arizona/Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am new to this so please bear with me. I have a pioneer 1000 with 34 hours. Has been at the dealer close to a month and they can't figure out why it won't shift. Nor can Honda according to them. It will shift to second and stay there. They have replaced the angle sensor and clutch pac. Honda was supposed to call me today but I never heard from them. I am very flustered with the dealer and Honda. Any ideas?

I have a 2016 1000 3p and I have a similar unresolved issue. My 1000 runs fine for one to two hours at which time time the transmission shifts into 1st gear, the eps light comes on, check engine light comes on,the odometer stops recording mph and miles traveled.
The transmission will not shift up no matter the shift mode. Sometimes things will return to normal if I shut it down for half an hour or more, sometimes not. The temp gauge reads normal. Any ideas?

H

HondaTech

To the 2 of you guys having issues with shifting and lights coming on, missing display info. If the grounds are tight then have your dealer or you can look yourself, pull the ecm out and check for bent pins on the ecm side. It's under the driver's side rubber flap, the unit will have 3 plugs one with 5 (i think) larger wires and 2 plugs with a larger number of smaller size wires. We had a non-deluxe P1K with very crazy erratic PS and running issues (miss fires, cutting out). We went to swap the ecm with another and found a whole row of bent pins in the connectors.

Reactions: Bfree66 and sharp
S

Sunrider

May 20, 2016
Arizona/Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To the 2 of you guys having issues with shifting and lights coming on, missing display info. If the grounds are tight then have your dealer or you can look yourself, pull the ecm out and check for bent pins on the ecm side. It's under the driver's side rubber flap, the unit will have 3 plugs one with 5 (i think) larger wires and 2 plugs with a larger number of smaller size wires. We had a non-deluxe P1K with very crazy erratic PS and running issues (miss fires, cutting out). We went to swap the ecm with another and found a whole row of bent pins in the connectors.

HondaTech thanks for the info. It's in the shop now for the 4th time, been there for 3+ weeks now. Honda has authorized a new wiring harness and 3 sensors. Not sure what sensors. I will call the dealer first thing tomorrow morning.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Coming back from tree stand today and out of nowhere my p1000 shifted from 1st to second and then just stayed there. I backed off the throttle and then re-accelerated and it shifted on through the gears. First time it has done this. Weird!

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Curious if these machines have a datalink connector so the dealer can plug into it with a scan tool and check codes and data? Given the eps and the dct I would think being so computer controlled dealers would be able to see if the ecm is commanding the particular shift solenoid, or look at sensor data, from there should be able to see if she it's an input or output issue. Possibly mechanical but with the other issues I would lean towards electrical. Maybe there is a software update for it not shifting into certain gears. Curious on what finally fixes it, good luck and keep us updated.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Curious if these machines have a datalink connector so the dealer can plug into it with a scan tool and check codes and data? Given the eps and the dct I would think being so computer controlled dealers would be able to see if the ecm is commanding the particular shift solenoid, or look at sensor data, from there should be able to see if she it's an input or output issue. Possibly mechanical but with the other issues I would lean towards electrical. Maybe there is a software update for it not shifting into certain gears. Curious on what finally fixes it, good luck and keep us updated.
If the system detects a 'current' problem, the MIL on the dash will flash the current code(s) but does not indicate sub-code.

The dealer has tools to read current and previous codes and their sub codes.