Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I will install the circuit breaker at the battery since this is a long run of heavy gauge #4 wire. I guess it could trip to 250 amp circuit breaker first which that'll be fine. So one of the three things will happen first. I just hope the circuit breaker trips or the winch stalls and not any breakage. BUT, I would rather test it in a controlled environment when there's no one around to get hurt.

I guess I could video that for you just in case.

DGann

DGann

Dec 20, 2015
Russellville Alabama
I will install the circuit breaker at the battery since this is a long run of heavy gauge #4 wire. I guess it could trip to 250 amp circuit breaker first which that'll be fine. So one of the three things will happen first. I just hope the circuit breaker trips or the winch stalls and not any breakage. BUT, I would rather test it in a controlled environment when there's no one around to get hurt.

Your mods look cool!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Next was to clock the terminals so there's no clearance issues at the frame. I wasn't real sure what I was doing here as I've never done that before and I don't have any instructions. But I just took the motor off and turn the whole thing and put it back on

View attachment 45159

We used to do this on truck winches quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I tripped my 300amp as my winch stalled on 1st layer. So I am guessing the 250 should trip earlier.
Hope the bolts are up for the task.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I tripped my 300amp as my winch stalled on 1st layer. So I am guessing the 250 should trip earlier.
Hope the bolts are up for the task.
Should be because this setup bolts through the receiver and to the suspension. I'd sure see those pos 4 bolts into the bottom of the winch sheer before the others.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had about an hour to work on the winch plate this evening and now I leave for work for 4 days.

I got some trimming done on the hitch. Here you can see the un-cut hitch.....
80ba02ffab7f6fd59d5b5881d31bca77

Here you can see that I cut it so that my bracket sits nice and flush.
64c450c69b8e86bd83f28f6221ea44b9

This is the piece that I cut out...
7e3533c72322695b0dc3cc8aa17e4617

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I never claimed to be a welder but this isn't too bad. I used the same 1/4" angle for these two lower braces. Looks like I got plenty of heat. Yes, I know they aren't cut straight but a little cutting with the angle grinder and a cut off blade and she'll be straight.
0fd16825aa35abb170ecce7bb409aca4

Before I called it a night I set it in place to show you guys CP's idea. These pics shows it almost in place, it isn't pushed all the way down....
Df71137013048ad31be0fa4018b00dbd

653f582090e08bc6b9ecff97fa793537

I should have took another pic but you get the idea. I will drill holes in the two lower braces and use a bolt instead of a hitch pin. That will be a 3/4" diameter bolt.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So the whole winch mount can be removed with three bolts and just a couple minutes. No permanent welding to the Honda, only some minor cutting.

I know I'm moving a snails pace compared to what I'd like to do but I'll eventually get it all done.

Another positive about this mod is that the hitch just because a lot stronger for tongue weight and side load. I'm happy about that as I'll be using a clevis on a hitch for tying down and towing other vehicles.

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is as far as I got yesterday. Hopefully I'll finish it up in the next few days.

View attachment 45166

View attachment 45167

Once I get the lower mount made, I'll put it in the sandblaster and clean it up and then depending on how I feel, I'll either powder coat it or rattle can it.

Then I still need to run the wires and mount the solenoid. This winch will only get a wireless remote for now.

After everything is finished, the first thing I'm gonna do is go out and test it. I will chain the front bumper to a tree and then hook the rear winch to another tree with the snatch block and see if I can stall the winch or rip them off. One of them will happen first and I got to find out before it fails in the woods.
Wow that looks beefy! And beefy is good! I gotta break out the microscope next time I see this thing lol. I'm still dead set on a rear winch bumper combo. Everything is figured out except making it strong (minor detail) lol.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
So the whole winch mount can be removed with three bolts and just a couple minutes. No permanent welding to the Honda, only some minor cutting.

I know I'm moving a snails pace compared to what I'd like to do but I'll eventually get it all done.

Another positive about this mod is that the hitch just because a lot stronger for tongue weight and side load. I'm happy about that as I'll be using a clevis on a hitch for tying down and towing other vehicles.

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

Do you have a cost set yet for these mounts? And when will they be available? ;):)

advertisement