Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m thinking will try to do something behind the red plastic. This will be a great place to store a lot of things that are not sensitive to water. I can store the extra 120 feet of synthetic winch rope that I carry or the bilge pump.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Could you not just use the push fasteners?

You could but they’re not as easy to remove as those that snuff mentioned earlier.

Now the question is, will the red plastic be enough to hold things inside the door? I’m sure it will be for larger items like the bilge pump and tow ropes.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe I should make the red outside plastic easily removable and then have a hidden door behind that it would be large enough to put larger objects in? I could use some kind of twist lock fasteners on the red plastic so that they could be removed easily with a quarter turn and then I would have access to a larger storage space built into the sides of the vehicle.

I guess I could put some kind of sleeve inside there made out of HDPE. I could make a large rectangular shaped box so the stuff wouldn’t fall all the way down to the bottom. That would limit space though.

Just throwing s*** against the wall to see what sticks.
You must be bored. Get a bed extender and a plastic tote and be done with it. Gonna rattle a lot. Not to mention these doors do not do good with weight on them when you open and shut them.

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could but they’re not as easy to remove as those that snuff mentioned earlier.

Now the question is, will the red plastic be enough to hold things inside the door? I’m sure it will be for larger items like the bilge pump and tow ropes.
Plastic should be more than enough. Especially if you only cut the top 1/3 that will be covered.
Dzus are nice, but i would look into some sort of thumb screw for removing the panel. No tools required.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Wonder if u could hinge it in the back with just 1 or 2 fasteners in the front or some real strong magnets.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Plastic should be more than enough. Especially if you only cut the top 1/3 that will be covered.
Dzus are nice, but i would look into some sort of thumb screw for removing the panel. No tools required.

I like the thumbscrew idea. I’m guessing these are 6 mm with a 1.0 thread pitch. I’ll measure that later and see if McMaster Carr has some nice thumbscrews.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the thumbscrew idea. I’m guessing these are 6 mm with a 1.0 thread pitch. I’ll measure that later and see if McMaster Carr has some nice thumbscrews.

They are they are the same as everything else.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
They are they are the same as everything else.

If I remember correct, they have a shoulder beneath the head of the fastener so more than likely I will need to get some very specific sized washers so that I don’t crush the red plastic.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If I remember correct, they have a shoulder beneath the head of the fastener so more than likely I will need to get some very specific sized washers so that I don’t crush the red plastic.
Run a nut up on it and grind it round and grind to thickness. Locktite on.

J

JTW

I was thinking like the kind on the air filter.. the center push kind. I like this idea. Perfect for the bilge and hose and strap storage

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You must be bored. Get a bed extender and a plastic tote and be done with it. Gonna rattle a lot. Not to mention these doors do not do good with weight on them when you open and shut them.

Several reasons I don’t want that:

Not willing to spend $500 dollars yet on storage.

Also I don’t want more weight hanging off that back than I need.

That also means my tailgate would be past the bumper and susceptible to damage.

Now some day I would like a light weight aluminum rear carrier that held just a tire and fuel. But I’d only use it when the rear seats are occupied. For now I have a rotopak mount in the front of the bed and I lay a tire back there too when the rear seat are down.

I’ve tried to keep weight low and evenly distributed. For now I have two ammo cans under the seat, a small pelican in the rear floorboard (when it’s not used) and a larger pelican that lays in the front of the bed. I would love to use both rear doors and delete a storage box or at least get a smaller one.

I guess I should go ahead and order some of those fancy door bushings from RB3 (sorry if I got the name wrong).

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What if you gutted the factory door and basically used it for a “skin” for a sealable aluminum storage container?

There’s a LOT of room in that door.

Someone with some real welding and fab skills needs to get on that.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Door panels don’t look like they are willing to accept the dzus fasteners. They are very irregular and varying depths.

D761487b0a5ba884c31d6e6037e524ef