Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It would be great to see a video to better assess movement of the enclosure at high speeds. So...Pleeeeeaase would you afford an old man this one request;)

For the most part I expect some, but if not excessive I’m liking this alternative to a hard enclosure:)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The original pushed out the pinion seal in 2016 and has made noise ever since. It got a lot of muddy water in it and I’ve been chainring oil ever 3-6 months to keep it alive. I found a used rear diff on eBay and decided to give it a shot. This one has actually getting louder all the time. Lately it’s been leaking oil from both axle seals. It’s actually about as loud as the HMF. I don’t trust it anymore.

Hopefully it can be rebuilt and put on the shelf. I got a feeling that the cost of rebuilding may be too high.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Setting up a final drive gear can be very gratifying.
However its a pain if you don't have a shim set.
Put it together, measure, order next shim and wait.

You get the picture.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

You get the picture.

On Jeeps and pick ups I didn’t have an issue but reading the manual on this one makes me want to trash it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The original pushed out the pinion seal in 2016 and has made noise ever since. It got a lot of muddy water in it and I’ve been chainring oil ever 3-6 months to keep it alive. I found a used rear diff on eBay and decided to give it a shot. This one has actually getting louder all the time. Lately it’s been leaking oil from both axle seals. It’s actually about as loud as the HMF. I don’t trust it anymore.

Hopefully it can be rebuilt and put on the shelf. I got a feeling that the cost of rebuilding may be too high.

You get the picture.

@joeymt33 if you don't get all the shims in by takeover, Ill create OffRoadUBER and you can be the first fare.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I went ahead and opened up the original differential to see what it looked like. Looks like my theory on water entry ruining bearing may not be the definitive reason. Follow along and find out why:

First step, scatter all the messy pieces all over
34505bd36284b9f5ba1da1cf65b254db

Look at all the metal bits inside the limited slip. You’re looking at the spring plate here.
129bd5d142ffbe7b542821744840c43d

Here’s a closer look at the spring plate bearing surface
92a0dc337fcad6cf804182f1d79c4839

Reactions: pct, sharp and BWAF
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here’s where the magic happens. I’ve never had one of these apart so this is a first for me and this type of limited slip. You can see one of the splined pieces, this is where one of the axles slip in. I’m not sure what you call the 12 bits that sit on the “spider gear” but they are what actually applies torque from one side to the other. They should have clean bearing surfaces too.

208dd1c2990839b92bf3c807a2b28ddd

A closer look at that one of those pieces...
4c3b959da71b4a565c8fe2e675992ba3

So what do y’all think? Did water contamination cause this?

Reactions: pct, sharp and BWAF
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here’s where the magic happens. I’ve never had one of these apart so this is a first for me and this type of limited slip. You can see one of the splined pieces, this is where one of the axles slip in. I’m not sure what you call the 12 bits that sit on the “spider gear” but they are what actually applies torque from one side to the other. They should have clean bearing surfaces too.

View attachment 69131

A closer look at that one of those pieces...
View attachment 69132

So what do y’all think? Did water contamination cause this?

That's some down right HARD water that you have there!!!!!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I call them "teeth" (not the official name).
Watch some one drop thouse puppies on the floor and they scatter like teeth hitting the floor.
And they don't all fit right when you go to pit them back in - like teeth.

The wear pattern suggests you had contamination, mud grit or something.
Normal wear looks like a shiny or burnished area on 70% of the face (your pretty mechanical so I assume you know what I'm saying).
Also the thrust washer should show a burnished pattern, not gouges.
And if you do take them out there are 2 different shapes to the pucks, I cant remember if they alternate or if there is a pattern to putting them back in, the manual should say.

J

JTW

I call them "teeth" (not the official name).
Watch some one drop thouse puppies on the floor and they scatter like teeth hitting the floor.
And they don't all fit right when you go to pit them back in - like teeth.

The wear pattern suggests you had contamination, mud grit or something.
Normal wear looks like a shiny or burnished area on 70% of the face (your pretty mechanical so I assume you know what I'm saying).
Also the thrust washer should show a burnished pattern, not gouges.
And if you do take them out there are 2 different shapes to the pucks, I cant remember if they alternate or if there is a pattern to putting them back in, the manual should say.
I can’t imagine how Joey got mud and grit in there!!? :rolleyes:

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I can’t imagine how Joey got mud and grit in there!!? :rolleyes:

remember that there might be more to this story than what we see here. Did mud and water cause this? Or did the contamination that Lee was talking about come from somewhere else? There could be a possibility that I am withholding some information just to see what some you guys think initially.