P1000 Trigger for Courtesy Light

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Well guys I guess this is an introduction and a question. I ordered my 1000-3 in September 2021 and recieved it July 2022. I was originally slated for a 2021 deluxe but am happy I got a '22 deluxe. I put it straight to work and think it's a big improvement over my polaris 1000. Accept for the cab. A couple weeks ago I finally started to do some modifications. I've seen different ideas on courtesy lights for the unlit factory switches. I'm going to install a small red led light above them just like in a youtube video I watched recently. I would like it to come on only when the headlights are turned on. I've done enough digging to see that there are seperate high and low beam triggers. I did get to thinking that the taillight circuit is powered in both high beam and low beam so I could tap into that if you guys could tell me where would be best to do that. My other idea was around the factory courtesy lights in the trail/forest editions. Do the interior courtesy lights run constantly or trigger on with the headlights in those trim levels? Do they have a dedicated on/off switch? Is that harness factory installed in the deluxe cabs? If it's already in the deluxe and is triggered along with the tailight circuit I thought I could grab power from there. I've seen the plug sold in the club store but it looked like it was for the bed lights. If someone could shed some "light" as to the location/existence of that harness in the deluxe and when it receives power I would appreciate it. If it's not an option I'd appreciate being pointed towards somewhere to tap tailight power close to the unlit factory switches.

20230218 134223

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well guys I guess this is an introduction and a question. I ordered my 1000-3 in September 2021 and recieved it July 2022. I was originally slated for a 2021 deluxe but am happy I got a '22 deluxe. I put it straight to work and think it's a big improvement over my POO POO FIRE TRAP 1000. Accept for the cab. A couple weeks ago I finally started to do some modifications. I've seen different ideas on courtesy lights for the unlit factory switches. I'm going to install a small red led light above them just like in a LUBE TUBE video I watched recently. I would like it to come on only when the headlights are turned on. I've done enough digging to see that there are seperate high and low beam triggers. I did get to thinking that the taillight circuit is powered in both high beam and low beam so I could tap into that if you guys could tell me where would be best to do that. My other idea was around the factory courtesy lights in the trail/forest editions. Do the interior courtesy lights run constantly or trigger on with the headlights in those trim levels? Do they have a dedicated on/off switch? Is that harness factory installed in the deluxe cabs? If it's already in the deluxe and is triggered along with the tailight circuit I thought I could grab power from there. I've seen the plug sold in the club store but it looked like it was for the bed lights. If someone could shed some "light" as to the location/existence of that harness in the deluxe and when it receives power I would appreciate it. If it's not an option I'd appreciate being pointed towards somewhere to tap tailight power close to the unlit factory switches.

View attachment 374890
Nice rig! Lots of errors in your post! But not let your hart be troubled…….
Fixed it for ya! ;)

Very busy in what your trying to do but should be simplified by going to the club store for most of it. There are all kinds of easy trigger wire set ups there. Also, try searching your thoughts cuz on here , weve done a thing or two cuz weve seen a thing or two and its most likely has already been done!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well guys I guess this is an introduction and a question. I ordered my 1000-3 in September 2021 and recieved it July 2022. I was originally slated for a 2021 deluxe but am happy I got a '22 deluxe. I put it straight to work and think it's a big improvement over my polaris 1000. Accept for the cab. A couple weeks ago I finally started to do some modifications. I've seen different ideas on courtesy lights for the unlit factory switches. I'm going to install a small red led light above them just like in a youtube video I watched recently. I would like it to come on only when the headlights are turned on. I've done enough digging to see that there are seperate high and low beam triggers. I did get to thinking that the taillight circuit is powered in both high beam and low beam so I could tap into that if you guys could tell me where would be best to do that. My other idea was around the factory courtesy lights in the trail/forest editions. Do the interior courtesy lights run constantly or trigger on with the headlights in those trim levels? Do they have a dedicated on/off switch? Is that harness factory installed in the deluxe cabs? If it's already in the deluxe and is triggered along with the tailight circuit I thought I could grab power from there. I've seen the plug sold in the club store but it looked like it was for the bed lights. If someone could shed some "light" as to the location/existence of that harness in the deluxe and when it receives power I would appreciate it. If it's not an option I'd appreciate being pointed towards somewhere to tap tailight power close to the unlit factory switches.

View attachment 374890
Hello!! Welcome from south Florida
Nice buggy 👍

I think you're overthinking it. You can tap into the low beam headlight trigger and it'll function the way you want. No reason to get crazy with it. I think the club store sells a plug-n-play harness, if not it's just a matter of tapping into one of the low beam wires to power a relay and feed what you want from there.

Good luck 👍

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Honestly, I would simply add a fuse block that's fed from key-on power and connect the LED lighting there. You're not even going to notice them in the day, but you will when it starts to get later in the day and may be useful before you turn your lights on. I put a rheostat in with my LEDs so I could adjust the brightness or turn then off completely.

LEDs pull so little amperage and they last forever. And the fuse box set you up for future mods (no splicing and dicing everything).

If you are thinking about future mods, consider adding a second battery and an isolator, too - lots of good info here on the forums for all that and more.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Thanks @JenElio, from what the voltmeter showed yesterday, the low beam is powered only when in low beams, no power on high circuit. When you flip on up to high beams it drops power and high beam gets power. I don't want to overthink it and have done that plenty before. Just kinda want that little light to only be on when the light circuit is energized like the tailights. The simple option is to run it on same power as my radio key on source and let it be on all the time. It's barely going to draw any power anyways, but thought it would be slick to toggle on and off just like in the tractors/pickups.

Last edited:
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Honestly, I would simply add a fuse block that's fed from key-on power and connect the LED lighting there. You're not even going to notice them in the day, but you will when it starts to get later in the day and may be useful before you turn your lights on. I put a rheostat in with my LEDs so I could adjust the brightness or turn then off completely.

LEDs pull so little amperage and they last forever. And the fuse box set you up for future mods (no splicing and dicing everything).

If you are thinking about future mods, consider adding a second battery and an isolator, too - lots of good info here on the forums for all that and more.
I do have the oem add-on honda fuse block and have been working with @Hondasxs on some slick harnesses to add some other accessories. I'm going to skip on the second battery. All I'll have is radio, winch, and some light bars for night calving. I use the machine every single day for work. Everyday is a trail ride, but I'm not hundreds of miles from home deep in the back country needing the added redundancy of that setup. Thanks for the advice. If I'm proven wrong and add that second battery I'll let you guys know.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm going to skip on the second battery. All I'll have is radio, winch, and some light bars for night calving. I use the machine every single day for work
All the more reason to have a second battery. The winch and light bars alone warrant that.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The tail light circuit is what you need.
H/L would only be on at those points.
Deluxe is not wired for any bed lights.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks @JenElio, from what the voltmeter showed yesterday, the low beam is powered only when in low beams, no power on high circuit. When you flip on up to high beams it drops power and high beam gets power. I don't want to overthink it and have done that plenty before. Just kinda want that little light to only be on when the light circuit is energized like the tailights. The simple option is to run it on same power as my radio key on source and let it be on all the time. It's barely going to draw any power anyways, but thought it would be slick to toggle on and off just like in the tractors/pickups.
Well shít.....I didn't realize they were powered separately. My apologies, I fed a small relay off my high beam circuit but never bothered to check if low is/was separate.

You learn something every day!!😂

Sounds like the tail light circuit is what you're looking for then 👍

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
The tail light circuit is what you need.
H/L would only be on at those points.
Deluxe is not wired for any bed lights.

Do you have suggestions where to tap into that circuit?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have suggestions where to tap into that circuit?
Start a conversation with @Hondasxs and ask him to create this, but for the Pioneer.

I haven't checked the parts list, but the 16-21 might be different than your 22+.

Edit,
Parts fiche shows 33700-HL3-A01 for both a 16 and 23.

Reactions: JenElio
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
For 2022+ models, that use the push switch vs the turn knob, and for LE and SE models...
One of the diodes in the fusebox outputs a brown wire.
This would be the tail light wires.
Test to verify before splicing.

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
For 2022+ models, that use the push switch vs the turn knob, and for LE and SE models...
One of the diodes in the fusebox outputs a brown wire.
This would be the tail light wires.
Test to verify before splicing.
I guess I'm not familiar with what a diode in the fuse box is. Is it the same as a fuse? Can you use a fuse tap on it?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I guess I'm not familiar with what a diode in the fuse box is. Is it the same as a fuse? Can you use a fuse tap on it?
I diode allows electricity (current) to pass in one direction only. Think of it like a backflow preventer on the outside water spigot on your house. It lets water go OUT, but won't let it go back in.

On a PCB (printed circuit board), they often look like little black barrels with a silver ring on one end (indicates current flow direction). They can be other colors,t to.

If it's a fuse type diode, it will be shaped like a fuse, but will have a symbol on (the side) that looks a lot like this.

Reactions: NEfarm_ranch
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Diode is in the fuse box.
Looks like a fuse but is not.
Ill have to dig into it later.

Reactions: NEfarm_ranch
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Th

Thanks for the info, I'm stuck in the office today. I'll be back by the machine in the morning and see if I can figure it out.

Reactions: Smitty335
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3

I found the diode you're talking about. It's three prongs. Power from each side from H/L beams to center tailights. It sits in the furthest to the front slot in the fuse panel.

20230221 163745 20230221 163710

NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
SmartSelect 20230221 223118 Amazon Shopping
If anyone has a tap like this and a 2022 pioneer, could i get you to see if you can get it to fit in that slot? I was thinking this would be a simple way to tap into the tailights for a trigger. I really don't want to buy this just to see it clearly not be the right size.

• Wow
NEfarm_ranch

NEfarm_ranch

Oct 3, 2021
Nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
I have finished my courtesy light with a trigger on my 2022 p1003. I placed a standard fuse tap on the light diode found in the fuse panel. I had to file the fuse tap down to fit on the center spade of the diode.
20230222 102013
Now when I flip my factory light switch on dims or brights I have a lit up dash area.
20230315 074757

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I don't know if he actively supports them, but I doubt he would be vehemently apposed to them. I suppose you could ask him though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!