P1000 Trouble

R

rdpriest

Dec 10, 2016
Gardendale, Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my Pioneer 1000-5 about a month ago and during the second ride, I smelled antifreeze and quickly returned home. After some investigating, I discovered the top hose to the water pump was leaking where the clamp attached it to the pump. It appears that the clamp was put on at the factory just above the nipple and the hose wasn't pushed all the way down and essentially cut the hose. I was able to remove it and cut about 1/2" off the hose and put it back on to stop the leak.
Two rides later, the left front wheel locked up. It would roll about 3 or 4 feet forwards and backwards and lock up each way. I was able to break it free enough to get home but with some grinding coming from the wheel. Once I got home, I pulled the wheel off and discovered that one of the studs that holds the spindle on had backed itself out and was grinding against the wheel (picture attached). This obviously caused some damage, so I loaded it up and took it back to where I bought it for warranty work on both issues.
I love the machine so far, but these problems do have me quite worried as it doesn't even have 50 hours on it yet.

Has anyone else had to deal with either of these issues? If not, you may want to check your hose clamps and/or put some Loctite on these studs.

Left Front

Reactions: CumminsPusher
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry for your problems.. Lots of people on here that have had none... me being one of them. Welcome from SE Tennessee

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my Pioneer 1000-5 about a month ago and during the second ride, I smelled antifreeze and quickly returned home. After some investigating, I discovered the top hose to the water pump was leaking where the clamp attached it to the pump. It appears that the clamp was put on at the factory just above the nipple and the hose wasn't pushed all the way down and essentially cut the hose. I was able to remove it and cut about 1/2" off the hose and put it back on to stop the leak.
Two rides later, the left front wheel locked up. It would roll about 3 or 4 feet forwards and backwards and lock up each way. I was able to break it free enough to get home but with some grinding coming from the wheel. Once I got home, I pulled the wheel off and discovered that one of the studs that holds the spindle on had backed itself out and was grinding against the wheel (picture attached). This obviously caused some damage, so I loaded it up and took it back to where I bought it for warranty work on both issues.
I love the machine so far, but these problems do have me quite worried as it doesn't even have 50 hours on it yet.

Has anyone else had to deal with either of these issues? If not, you may want to check your hose clamps and/or put some Loctite on these studs.

View attachment 30045
The dealer should have inspected the rig better before giving it to you. I hope they make it right.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry for your troubles. I agree with Sharp, this one is on your dealer.

Welcome from W. KY.

Reactions: sharp
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alot of the dealerships have people who are there for a check and nothing more. My dealer was terrible....But that's a whole other story. It's best to go completely through your machine and check it . I don't trust my life or my family's to some idiot who decided his smoke break was more important than tightening the ROPS bolts.

Welcome aboard from SE Missouri!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 30045

Welcome to the forum. We're glad you joined our group.

Thank you for the heads up on the items to inspect. Sorry for troubles you've had. I hope you get them resolved soon and get back to enjoying an awesome machine.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
To bad honda would not ship directly , crated.
I would rather assembly it myself .The OCD would come in handy during the process

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There have been several instances of poor assembly and just downright laziness. Best thing is to go over the machine yourself. I had a nut on a tie rod end almost come off. It was held on by the cotter pin. Also had to center my steering wheel. And we make fun of stuff made in China lol.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There have been several instances of poor assembly and just downright laziness. Best thing is to go over the machine yourself. I had a nut on a tie rod end almost come off. It was held on by the cotter pin. Also had to center my steering wheel. And we make fun of stuff made in China lol.
same with mine @Delton

R

rdpriest

Dec 10, 2016
Gardendale, Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To bad honda would not ship directly , crated.
I would rather assembly it myself .The OCD would come in handy during the process

Great point! Maybe next purchase I will request that and have a little bit more peace of mind.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!