P1000 True am isolator and relay wiring

L

Laughlin74

Sep 23, 2022
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m almost finished with my dual battery setup. And I’ve searched several places. I’m not clear on the wiring of the relay that comes with the true am setup. I thought I had it figured out but my dual voltmeter setup stayed lit the whole time. Even when machine was off. It has 1 black 1 red and 2 green/white stripe wires. Any help appreciated.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Like this.
Dualbatterydiagram

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
L

Laughlin74

Sep 23, 2022
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh. Why did you do that?
Disconnect it.

It's a spare ignition-activated ground. It only is grounded when the key is on. It has a purpose, but most don't use it.
Ok thanks. I will definitely do that tomorrow. Idk why except I translated activated ground as a ground. I thought 2 green wires both needed grounds. Oops. I’m no electric wiz. But I’ve learned a lot on here.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok thanks. I will definitely do that tomorrow. Idk why except I translated activated ground as a ground. I thought 2 green wires both needed grounds. Oops. I’m no electric wiz. But I’ve learned a lot on here.
None of us were born knowing this crap. Well except @Hondasxs hisself. 😎

Unhook that spare green from ground and you should be good. If not, let the guys know and someone will figure it out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep, that's your issue.
Tape off the second green wire for other uses.
Not much needs a ground trigger tho.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What HondaSXS is saying is there's a small blue LED inside the isolator that stays on after you turn off the power.
It was installed by a sadist who knew he'd mess with people's heads world-wide asking how to turn the damn light off, how to stop it from draining the battery, etc., etc.
It's not a problem. Don't lose any sleep over it. It is normal.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you would like to check your two battery's voltages without turning on the ignition, there's an easy mod you can do. Besides being convenient, it offers the advantage of "looking" at both batteries under the same no-load condition. With key on, it's not a fair comparison as the main battery is instantly loaded by all the ignition-on circuitry so that battery will read lower than the aux battery.

To accomplish this you only need a normally open (abbreviated NO) momentary push button switch like THIS. Wire one lead from the switch to the negative terminal of the dual volt meter (where the green or green/white wire is now) and connect the other terminal of the switch to a ground. This switch is shown below the dual voltmeter in this picture:

20211221 215040

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!