JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes I went to the dark side. I just purchased a 2021 Yamaha Wolverine X2. I absolutely loved my Pioneer 500 but after a 3 day trip to HMT, my wife and I realized that we really need something that is a bit more comfortable and has a better ride. I was torn between putting a bunch more money into the P500 (shocks, skid plate, power steering) or buying another machine that in the end better meets our needs. After a lot of research, the Wolverine X2 looked like it was a good fit. I was really sad when I sold the P500 and wasn't sure I was doing the right thing. But after a long search, I picked up the X2 yesterday and took it on a 50 mile ride today. I must say that I am really impressed with the X2. Compared to the P500, it is a lot faster, is more comfortable, and takes the bumps way better. I am definately still wary of the CVT, but the Yamaha CVT is supposed to be much more better than other brands. Out of habit, I found myself trying to upshift with the paddle shifters only to realize there are no paddle shifters. I'm also wary about reliablility as I've only owned Hondas in the past. But Yamaha does have a good reputation and people I know that have them swear by their reliability

I'm still planning to be at MOM2 in October if you'll allow a Yamaha to ride with you.

2021 08 29 160605

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I went to the dark side. I just purchased a 2021 Yamaha Wolverine X2. I absolutely loved my Pioneer 500 but after a 3 day trip to HMT, my wife and I realized that we really need something that is a bit more comfortable and has a better ride. I was torn between putting a bunch more money into the P500 (shocks, skid plate, power steering) or buying another machine that in the end better meets our needs. After a lot of research, the Wolverine X2 looked like it was a good fit. I was really sad when I sold the P500 and wasn't sure I was doing the right thing. But after a long search, I picked up the X2 yesterday and took it on a 50 mile ride today. I must say that I am really impressed with the X2. Compared to the P500, it is a lot faster, is more comfortable, and takes the bumps way better. I am definately still wary of the CVT, but the Yamaha CVT is supposed to be much more better than other brands. Out of habit, I found myself trying to upshift with the paddle shifters only to realize there are no paddle shifters. I'm also wary about reliablility as I've only owned Hondas in the past. But Yamaha does have a good reputation and people I know that have them swear by their reliability

I'm still planning to be at MOM2 in October if you'll allow a Yamaha to ride with you.

View attachment 292250
You can rock it at MOM2. Nice work.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Congrats, they're a really good machine! I'm considering upgrading also, I'm just tired of riding wide open to keep up with the others who have bigger machines. And the Honda P700 is no faster than the P500, so I guess I'll have to jump ship too...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

View attachment 292250
Congrats! I'd probably get one if there was one to be found. Yes, really.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 292250
Nice rig. No excuses now. If it doesn't go, it's driver error now lol. Definitely nothing wrong with a Yamaha.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wouldn't be afraid of a Yamaha. The belt and Honda's durable reputation is what stopped me from buying the comfy Yamaha. These days Honda's bullet proof reputation is on the line and my next machine might very well be another brand. In a perfect world Honda would add some common sense changes along with some comfort or Yamaha would give us a real transmission. Today it all seems like a crap shoot.... You can get a lemon anywhere from any brand.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
don't worrry abut the belt. i put 10k miles on my yamaha belt never an issue. great machines.

Belt durability will be according to the use the machine gets and the operator. Not everyone should expect that kind of mileage from a belt. For me it's also about the way they work. How they engage and work the engine is so weird to me. For someone like yourself.....it just doesn't matter. Some of us just don't like the system and can't get over it. Glad you did! I myself might have to someday if I get back in the market.

Have you ever been in water and experienced wet belt slippage?

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
mine was hunting, wood cutting snow plowing, trail running. overall positive experience.
sunk it in water a few times crossing the verde river. wet belt sucks, yes, after draining the housing i floored it, and it worked to get moving again
servicing the sheeve and weights is a must. i did do that every other oil change.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
mine was hunting, wood cutting snow plowing, trail running. overall positive experience.
sunk it in water a few times crossing the verde river. wet belt sucks, yes, after draining the housing i floored it, and it worked to get moving again
servicing the sheeve and weights is a must. i did do that every other oil change.

🤦‍♂️

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use to have a yamaha rhino700 and was very satisfied with it until the one way bearing went out about 4000 miles (it slowes the machine down on its own when you let off the gas ) A pain in the you know what to replace, I went to Midstate motorsports in Cookeville to have it replaced, Long story short after 2 visits to get that repaired and then it leaked oil. I had enough with yamaha. I went and got a pioneer 1000 . Maybe just a shop that didnt know what they were doing. Hope you have better luck.

Last edited:
JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Can I ask why not go to a P1K?
It pretty much came down to price and availability. Back in August, a P1K was very difficult to find. And for my needs, it would have cost $2K or more to bring the base P1K up to state of the base X2 (roof, decent skidplate, and lower MSRP). I've had it now for 6 months and about 600 miles and I am thrilled with it. It has been everything I was looking for and more. Even the stock 27" dirt commanders have been pretty decent so I'm planning to run them until they wear out and then I'll upgrade to bigger wheels and tires.

I do miss the shifting though but I have zero complaints with the Yamaha CVT. Even the engine braking is better than my P500, which I didn't think was possible.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It pretty much came down to price and availability. Back in August, a P1K was very difficult to find. And for my needs, it would have cost $2K or more to bring the base P1K up to state of the base X2 (roof, decent skidplate, and lower MSRP). I've had it now for 6 months and about 600 miles and I am thrilled with it. It has been everything I was looking for and more. Even the stock 27" dirt commanders have been pretty decent so I'm planning to run them until they wear out and then I'll upgrade to bigger wheels and tires.

I do miss the shifting though but I have zero complaints with the Yamaha CVT. Even the engine braking is better than my P500, which I didn't think was possible.
And you don't have to worry about the heat giving you swamp ass.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!