P700 Unanswered questions

SLSHonda

SLSHonda

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to get a pioneer within the coming weeks/months. I joined this forum to help narrow down a lot of things. You guys have been a major help. BUT, the only question that seems I haven’t found the answer to is this...do any of you wish you had bought the 1000 instead of the 700? Is there more leg room in the 700 than the 1000 in the back seat? TIA

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
To answer that.
YES!

In fact. Most of us owned a 700 and jumped to the 1000 within the first year. Totally different.
Leg room is about the same in the rear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Plumber32
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I somewhat wish I’d bought a 1000. I bought a 500 and then jumped to a 700-4. I only want a 1000 for the low range.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I started with a 500 went to a 700. I could get whatever I wanted but my 700 is great for me and I really enjoy it. 1000s are great and if I decide I need more down the road I will make the switch ,but 700 is perfect for foreseeable future.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I've had both no more leg room in my opinion that you can tell. No regrets either because there was no 1000 at the time. The 1000 lot better for yard work because you can unlock the rear differential. Top speed on a 700 is 45. Top speed on 1000 is 66. the 1000 has more ground clearance and not as tall as the 700.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to get a pioneer within the coming weeks/months. I joined this forum to help narrow down a lot of things. You guys have been a major help. BUT, the only question that seems I haven’t found the answer to is this...do any of you wish you had bought the 1000 instead of the 700? Is there more leg room in the 700 than the 1000 in the back seat? TIA
Remember that for the money, the 700 is hard to beat. As far as leg room, any side by side that’s not a true crew model like a ranger or mule is not going to shine in the rear seat comfort area. In my other post I mentioned I only wanted the 1000 for the low range, that’s because I’m always pulling trailers with more weight than recommended towing capacity and it would be better for the machine if it had a low range. My 700-4 has done everything I’ve asked of it, if you buy a 700 you’ll be happy, if I could change anything I would have bought the deluxe for the paddle shifting ability.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
The more look at talon pictures the more I like them. I think way later on down the road that may be the way I go .

Reactions: Mudwing
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The more look at talon pictures the more I like them. I think way later on down the road that may be the way I go .
I’d like to have one as well but if I’m going to buy something it’s going to be a 1000 or an x4

Reactions: Backwoods
Gunslingertom

Gunslingertom

Nov 25, 2018
SW Missouri Ozarks
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a single suggestion. What ever you get, if you're financing, DO NOT finance through Honda Financial. Go to your own bank.
I can't offer any other help because mine was more or less an impulse buy. I've had it since April 2018 and have a whopping 87 miles on it. I've never owned, ridden, or driven a 1000. I saw one on a lift, when I took mine in for it's first service and to me it seemed like a very large machine.
No problems with the Honda as of yet, but if I could go back, I'd buy a Polaris Ranger for 3 reasons. I can spit on a Polaris dealership from my house, my brother is a Polaris mechanic, and I've had nothing but awesome luck with Polaris. Hopefully this Honda will change my mind.

Reactions: BeerMonkey
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Put just under 9000 miles on a 700. It was a good machine, but there were certain things about it that always disappointed me. The 1000....on paper at least, seems to cure all those things.

Now that I'm back out west, i get to see all manner of machines go riding by. The newer Polaris Rangers always amaze me by how smooth they appear to ride, and how quiet they are. The other machine that seems to match? The 1000 Pioneer and its distinctive "chain in liquid" engine noise. I'm afraid one is going to blow a big hole in my wallet in the future.

SLSHonda

SLSHonda

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2019
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a single suggestion. What ever you get, if you're financing, DO NOT finance through Honda Financial. Go to your own bank.
I can't offer any other help because mine was more or less an impulse buy. I've had it since April 2018 and have a whopping 87 miles on it. I've never owned, ridden, or driven a 1000. I saw one on a lift, when I took mine in for it's first service and to me it seemed like a very large machine.
No problems with the Honda as of yet, but if I could go back, I'd buy a Polaris Ranger for 3 reasons. I can spit on a Polaris dealership from my house, my brother is a Polaris mechanic, and I've had nothing but awesome luck with Polaris. Hopefully this Honda will change my mind.
You never mentioned why I shouldn’t finance through Honda.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I don't know you're situation or place of residence, but often times local banks will beat industry rates and you will get a chance to see if that is true for you when closer. Also, using a local bank gives you some other flexibility, say you get a 700 and in 6 months decide, hum... I want a 1000 so if you sell it then it's a bit easier for you and buyer to want into a bank to handle the transaction....

Gunslingertom

Gunslingertom

Nov 25, 2018
SW Missouri Ozarks
Ownership

1. 700-2

I don't know you're situation or place of residence, but often times local banks will beat industry rates and you will get a chance to see if that is true for you when closer. Also, using a local bank gives you some other flexibility, say you get a 700 and in 6 months decide, hum... I want a 1000 so if you sell it then it's a bit easier for you and buyer to want into a bank to handle the transaction....

Everything alloutdoors said.
For me, I qualified for a special finance rate of 2.9. This was last summer. When I sat down with the finance guy, he asked what I could afford for a monthly. I told him and the jerk comes back with an interest rate of 15.6. That was the interest rate that matched what I said I could afford. Well having just bought my wife a new car and buying a new 5th wheel travel trailer, I should have known better than to tell them what I could afford. So I haggled with them over the interest rate and got them down to 4.99, EVEN THOUGH MY CREDIT SCORE QUALIFIED ME FOR 2.9 PER HONDA'S RULES. He swore that was the best he could do. So I left with the SXS (again an impulse buy) thinking I'll go to my bank Monday morning and pay this stupid thing off right away. Only, after reading the fine print in the contract, I was stuck with the Honda loan for 90 days. I did get a loan from my bank AT 1.99 BTW, and paid Honda off.
Just to give you some perspective on how much dealerships make off interest kickbacks, I had 2000 to put down on this machine and they didn't want it. It was like I was going to have to hold a gun to the guys head to get him to take the down payment. The financial institution offs the dealership a rate and anything over, goes to the dealer. Most pricing is set at rock bottom, because they figured out 35 years ago, that the money is in interest. That's why cash means nothing to them nowadays. They actually make little to nothing on cash deals.
At my age and buying experience, you'd think I'd be more prepared for their tactics, but I never am. So I have to take some of the blame.
So that's my experience, and I'd say that most of the finance people are the same way. It's how they make their money.
I live outside a town of less than 500, and bank in a town of around 3500. I have known my loan officer for decades and he has never steered me wrong. I need to talk with him before making large purchases and my advice is that you do the same thing. If your credit is good, you get as better rate from the bank, with less hassle, better customer service and NO sales gimmicks. Because he'll not make a single penny off of the sale of that SXS.
Oh, one more piece of advice. DO NOT take your wife or kids with you. These people are pro's at charming wives and kids, and before you know it, you didn't buy it for yourself, you bought it because of the look on your family's faces.
All that said... If the physical size of the 1000 is OK with you, and you can afford it, that's the way I'd go, just because MOST people always wish they had gone bigger. None of want to admit it, but size does matter.

K

killerv

Nov 28, 2018
Central Ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've financed 3 vehicles with Honda. No issues. It was a no brainer to do it with my 700-4. My credit score was the highest they had ever seen at the dealership and it got a rate from honda lower than the lowest rate they were offering. Plus if you pay it off early, that's less interest you have to worry about paying...which are my intentions.

R

RandyG

Jun 10, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
I also used Honda financial. Nothing but good things to say. Got 2.9% which was better than my credit union. I say there is nothing wrong with Honda Financial!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
To answer your question you need to be honest with yourself about how you’ll use the machine and your wants/needs vs. budget. As a work vehicle the 700 does great for me. Big bed, good payload and tow rating, reliable, and strong. My only complaint in this category is it is a bit slow going down the road from field to field, which may not even be a concern for you.

If you’re looking for more of a recreational machine the 1000 is probably a better fit. In my opinion, both the 700 and 1000 need some money spent on them to be really fun on the trail. Just remember after you spend that money, the 1000 will will still be faster and have more suspension travel.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Really depends what do you want/need it for. I needed to carry 3 people and a cooler I didn't look at the 500 or 700 I went to the dealer and went straight to a 1000-5 on the lot then sat in it, sat in the back and made my decision this is what I want. I'm a big guy 5'10 360lbs I have rode in the back just fine, is it comfortable as my truck no but I'm not so uncomfortable I complain in the back. The wife and I have hefty friends we loaded up and hit the back roads and no one complained of being uncomfortable for a 2 hour ride.

Another selling point I have nephews and a niece the belts in the back lock them in place it has a shoulder and a lap belt with 2 belt buckles each they aren't going anywhere.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!