Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
plumb ducts out under bench you will feel the heat and it rises. Mine come out cup holders and do a fine job but tearing into that dash took more barley pops then I wanted to invest in it at the time. I secretly bought a 12v fan to mount somewhere incase I wanted more air flow. Haven't installed but have it in case. My cab at 20 mph and 10 degrees is not hot, but it is warm enough to have coat off and every one happy they are not on a wheeler.
That’s great news!!!

Reactions: Remington
S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
plumb ducts out under bench you will feel the heat and it rises. Mine come out cup holders and do a fine job but tearing into that dash took more barley pops then I wanted to invest in it at the time. I secretly bought a 12v fan to mount somewhere incase I wanted more air flow. Haven't installed but have it in case. My cab at 20 mph and 10 degrees is not hot, but it is warm enough to have coat off and every one happy they are not on a wheeler.

ok thanks so much... I have been looking at putting in a blower fan or bilge fans under the seat by your legs... it is 3 degrees here in mn. and I did go ice fishing today because it was too cold... heck, I could have just driven my truck out there. I do not have a wheel house otherwise I would have done so, I use my 4x6 jr. clam and I get a little cold when I set it up... but if I had a little heat I could just in the sxs.
I need to get an enclosure first. I have a roof and about to install a windscreen. I just bought a Honda soft mid panel today, that should help.

Gary

O

OleRed

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it was because you don't want to mess with the initial flow to the water jacket. Better/safer to rob the heat from coolant after it passes through the oil cooler than to take it before it makes it's trip around the engine block

T

thumper144

Dec 12, 2018
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think it was because you don't want to mess with the initial flow to the water jacket. Better/safer to rob the heat from coolant after it passes through the oil cooler than to take it before it makes it's trip around the engine block

Yes. That was what I was told. And that is why I did it. If I remember correctly, Honda sets theirs up this way if the dealer installs one for you.

BTW....I just used mine the last couple days here in Pittsburgh PA. We’ve had mid 20’s in the AM with highs in the 40’s. It worked great. Very happy with the heat output. Mine is mounted on the dashboard where the warning placard used to be. Very nice for defrosting windshield. It took quite a bit of time to mount there though. I had to make brackets and cut a big hole. In the end all worth it....but lots of cussing when I was doing it!!!

JLR

JLR

Apr 26, 2019
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maradyne Universal Stoker Heaters MM-A1090002

@sheba4 That’s the heater. Once you buy some 3” round vents, aluminum ducting, hose, fittings and ball valves you’ll have 250$ roughly into it. Like @Montecresto said, about mid way in the thread is the build. At the end has the links for the parts. Any questions just ask mysel or @OleRed can help.

Remington - now that you have a couple cold seasons under your belt with this heater setup do you have any feedback or things you would change if starting over? I toyed with the idea last year and am once again debating on pulling the trigger for ice fishing a exploring during the winter here in Maine (it would have been nice during hunting season as well...). My biggest concern is - do you get adequate defrosting action on your windshield with the vent locations? Last winter I used a cheapo 12v auto defrost fan from Amazon that I mounted right in front of my steering wheel - it actually worked pretty well for keeping the drivers side of the windshield clear but after about a month of heavy use the heating element died.

Thank you for putting together such a detailed write up with photos and parts list - very helpful!!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Remington - now that you have a couple cold seasons under your belt with this heater setup do you have any feedback or things you would change if starting over? I toyed with the idea last year and am once again debating on pulling the trigger for ice fishing a exploring during the winter here in Maine (it would have been nice during hunting season as well...). My biggest concern is - do you get adequate defrosting action on your windshield with the vent locations? Last winter I used a cheapo 12v auto defrost fan from Amazon that I mounted right in front of my steering wheel - it actually worked pretty well for keeping the drivers side of the windshield clear but after about a month of heavy use the heating element died.

Thank you for putting together such a detailed write up with photos and parts list - very helpful!!
Hay there, thank you for the kind complement.

As for feedback from the last few years, I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m very happy with the heater. I use my machine hunting as well and during deer season up north where my cabin is, it’s cold during this time of year in the 30’s down to the teens and a heater is needed and everyone who rides with me complement and enjoy the heat. Now it’s not like being in my truck cuz it’s a SxS. The only thing that is a bit annoying is that it takes a while to heat up, this is just how the pioneer is set up for the radiator fan to kick on. the motor and antifreeze that is. The best fix to this was the radiator fan override switch you can get in the Hondasxs store. I hooked mine to a auto,on,off switch. By turning the switch to off the antifreeze will get to the second bar on your dash quicker and more heat from the heater. I’ve also found when I leave the switch to off and the heater fan on low or hi it keeps the motor at the second bar at all times witch is still fine and safe operation temp for the pioneer. If you want it to defrost your windshield, the way I stated above is a must imo. Plus you need some patients for the pioneer to warm up. Once it does and you have your vents pointed up, it will defrost the windshield no problem. Remember it’s not an automobile lol.

JLR

JLR

Apr 26, 2019
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hay there, thank you for the kind complement.

As for feedback from the last few years, I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m very happy with the heater. I use my machine hunting as well and during deer season up north where my cabin is, it’s cold during this time of year in the 30’s down to the teens and a heater is needed and everyone who rides with me complement and enjoy the heat. Now it’s not like being in my truck cuz it’s a SxS. The only thing that is a bit annoying is that it takes a while to heat up, this is just how the pioneer is set up for the radiator fan to kick on. the motor and antifreeze that is. The best fix to this was the radiator fan override switch you can get in the Hondasxs store. I hooked mine to a auto,on,off switch. By turning the switch to off the antifreeze will get to the second bar on your dash quicker and more heat from the heater. I’ve also found when I leave the switch to off and the heater fan on low or hi it keeps the motor at the second bar at all times witch is still fine and safe operation temp for the pioneer. If you want it to defrost your windshield, the way I stated above is a must imo. Plus you need some patients for the pioneer to warm up. Once it does and you have your vents pointed up, it will defrost the windshield no problem. Remember it’s not an automobile lol.

Glad to hear its working out - I think I'll be working in that direction. I am thinking a fan or 2 in the upper corners pointing at the windshield might aid in defrosting/keeping the windshield clear but I will probably start with the heater setup and go from there. One other question - what is the best route to run power from the battery to the under seat compartment? Its probably pretty evident when looking at the machine but I am away for work for the next couple weeks and do not have access to my machine. Currently I am compiling what I hope to be a complete list of components to be waiting for me when I get home.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Glad to hear its working out - I think I'll be working in that direction. I am thinking a fan or 2 in the upper corners pointing at the windshield might aid in defrosting/keeping the windshield clear but I will probably start with the heater setup and go from there. One other question - what is the best route to run power from the battery to the under seat compartment? Its probably pretty evident when looking at the machine but I am away for work for the next couple weeks and do not have access to my machine. Currently I am compiling what I hope to be a complete list of components to be waiting for me when I get home.
I went right under the body and attached the wiring to the frame. Of corse having a full skid plate helps with this as well to protect your wires

Reactions: JLR and ChadD
A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought the ice crusher kit and had my mobile mechanic install it
It took 10hrs to install but is tucked away under dash and has nice dash vents an floor vents I didn’t install cup holder defrost vent because I didn’t want to lose my cup holder
Works really well and looks professional
Only down fall is you need to take apart all front plastic and is a lot of work

Reactions: Remington and JLR
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
This Fall I finally decided to enclose the cab of my 2016. Found this thread while researching heaters, figured why not give it a shot. Price and keeping the heater dry was my main concerns. Here is what I ended up with.
Summit Racing heater mounted under the hood. Thanks OleRed for that Idea. Had to cut some plastic to get it where I wanted. IMG 0393

All the typical mods are still mounted under the hood: Busman PDM, True Am isolater, Stinger relay, Oddysey battery. Cut the out the plastic where the 2nd battery was installed and made a steel tray to lower the battery so the heater would fit on top of it.
IMG 0377

Mounted 2 vents on the lower part of the dash. They will turn 360, so you can aim the flow at any part of your body.
IMG 0389
The hardest part was trying to get real defrosters. Ended up taking the dash out and boxing in the space Above the upper dash pocket and drive modes selector. Air is feed from the passenger side of the chamber. While I had the dash apart, I added some thin rubber sheeting and foam to completely seal up the dash. Sorry, the plastic welder was frustrating and I didn't take and pictures while I had the dash apart.
IMG 0410

Kit came with a 3 speed switch, which I trimmed a little to fit in my switch panel. Heater draws some power on the highest setting, but the voltage will hold there all day. Never really need to use High though. We have been out in single digit temps with the heat on low and have to crack open the windshield vents to maintain a comfortable temp in the cab.
IMG 0386IMG 0388

All the duct work is short and contained within the sealed dash. I lose a bit of heat between the oil cooler and heater core, but still get 145 degree air at the vents when the engine is idling at around 200 degrees.
IMG 0392

Here is why I wanted a heater mounted up high. This part of the trail was a bout 2" deep until the end.

IMG 0446

Same area, different weekend.

Wi_ACE

Wi_ACE

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2019
Hartford, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This Fall I finally decided to enclose the cab of my 2016. Found this thread while researching heaters, figured why not give it a shot. Price and keeping the heater dry was my main concerns. Here is what I ended up with.
Summit Racing heater mounted under the hood. Thanks OleRed for that Idea. Had to cut some plastic to get it where I wanted.View attachment 249914

All the typical mods are still mounted under the hood: Busman PDM, True Am isolater, Stinger relay, Oddysey battery. Cut the out the plastic where the 2nd battery was installed and made a steel tray to lower the battery so the heater would fit on top of it.
View attachment 249916

Mounted 2 vents on the lower part of the dash. They will turn 360, so you can aim the flow at any part of your body.
View attachment 249917
The hardest part was trying to get real defrosters. Ended up taking the dash out and boxing in the space Above the upper dash pocket and drive modes selector. Air is feed from the passenger side of the chamber. While I had the dash apart, I added some thin rubber sheeting and foam to completely seal up the dash. Sorry, the plastic welder was frustrating and I didn't take and pictures while I had the dash apart.
View attachment 249918

Kit came with a 3 speed switch, which I trimmed a little to fit in my switch panel. Heater draws some power on the highest setting, but the voltage will hold there all day. Never really need to use High though. We have been out in single digit temps with the heat on low and have to crack open the windshield vents to maintain a comfortable temp in the cab.
View attachment 249920View attachment 249921

All the duct work is short and contained within the sealed dash. I lose a bit of heat between the oil cooler and heater core, but still get 145 degree air at the vents when the engine is idling at around 200 degrees.
View attachment 249922

Here is why I wanted a heater mounted up high. This part of the trail was a bout 2" deep until the end.

View attachment 249924

Same area, different weekend.
AK,
What'd you use for the defroster vent?
I like it and am interested in trying to do it myself.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
AK,
What'd you use for the defroster vent?
I like it and am interested in trying to do it myself.
I bought the defroster kit from Summit, but only used the grill part of the vent. I cut holes in the top of the dash and mounted the grills with a couple screws and sealed it up with some black RTV. I created a chamber in the dash with an inlet for the heater hose. There isn’t enough room there to run hoses directly to the defrost vents.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!