P500 Used P500 shopping

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I'm going first thing in the morning to check out/purchase a p500. Looks to be a big following for these things. They're hard to find in central NC for a good price. I've looked at 3 so far and couldn't make the deal. Hopefully this will be the one. It has a lot of upgrades like warn winch, Honda top,Honda doors,Honda cargo, siezmik windshield and even walkers all the way as round. It's a 2018 bought new in June this year and was traded in on a p1k last week. Is there anything I should be cautious about? I plan on the usual checks: visual the oil. Check air filter. Look for any damage. From the pics it appears to have been in mud, not sure to what extent. It is at a Honda dealership and they say they have checked out and it is all good. But I just dont trust anybody any more. Any other suggestions?
Screenshot 20181215 204125 Chrome

Reactions: nctrailboss
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm going first thing in the morning to check out/purchase a p500. Looks to be a big following for these things. They're hard to find in central NC for a good price. I've looked at 3 so far and couldn't make the deal. Hopefully this will be the one. It has a lot of upgrades like warn winch, Honda top,Honda doors,Honda cargo, siezmik windshield and even walkers all the way as round. It's a 2018 bought new in June this year and was traded in on a p1k last week. Is there anything I should be cautious about? I plan on the usual checks: visual the oil. Check air filter. Look for any damage. From the pics it appears to have been in mud, not sure to what extent. It is at a Honda dealership and they say they have checked out and it is all good. But I just dont trust anybody any more. Any other suggestions?View attachment 97997
No suggestions but curious about the asking price and your plan to get it at a lower cost

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going first thing in the morning to check out/purchase a p500. Looks to be a big following for these things. They're hard to find in central NC for a good price. I've looked at 3 so far and couldn't make the deal. Hopefully this will be the one. It has a lot of upgrades like warn winch, Honda top,Honda doors,Honda cargo, siezmik windshield and even walkers all the way as round. It's a 2018 bought new in June this year and was traded in on a p1k last week. Is there anything I should be cautious about? I plan on the usual checks: visual the oil. Check air filter. Look for any damage. From the pics it appears to have been in mud, not sure to what extent. It is at a Honda dealership and they say they have checked out and it is all good. But I just dont trust anybody any more. Any other suggestions?View attachment 97997

Take a look at the skid plates, that'll tell you if he abused it. Odd place for that spare tire, covers the tail light?

Reactions: Eltobgi and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Seems good with all the extras, they add up quick. Money saved would pay for a front locker and power steering down the road, LOL. Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: Eltobgi
T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Take a look at the skid plates, that'll tell you if he abused it. Odd place for that spare tire, covers the tail light?
There is some damage I see in the pics like here under the winch and on the frame rail under the driver door. I seems superficial but I'll take a better look tomorrow when I see it in person. Thanks for the input
Screenshot 20181215 203943 Chrome

Reactions: trigger
T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Seems good with all the extras, they add up quick. Money saved would pay for a front locker and power steering down the road, LOL. Good luck and welcome.
Thanks for the welcome. This is the first online club/forum that I have ever joined. And yes I've already done dy looked at the lockers. Hopefully this one already has it. The sales rep had no clue.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Seems like a very fair deal, especially with the upgrades. WEs are $1200 alone. Pull up the seat and rubber flap and see if theres evidence of deep water, it wouldn't be a show stopper but might give insight about how it was driven.

Reactions: nctrailboss
T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Seems like a very fair deal, especially with the upgrades. WEs are $1200 alone. Pull up the seat and rubber flap and see if theres evidence of deep water, it wouldn't be a show stopper but might give insight about how it was driven.
Will do, thanks

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
That's the same dealer I bought my P500 from as well as my wifes Rancher and father in laws Foreman.. The salesman I knew doesn't work there anymore. After I sold my 500 and went looking for a 1000, I found better deals at the Honda dealer in Greenville.

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Does anyone know if there is a way to check clutch health by a test drive. Will it slip or shift hard or chatter? I've never drove one to compare?

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
That's the same dealer I bought my P500 from as well as my wifes Rancher and father in laws Foreman.. The salesman I knew doesn't work there anymore. After I sold my 500 and went looking for a 1000, I found better deals at the Honda dealer in Greenville.
Good to know. I'm in central NC. Seems like the farther you go west, the better the deal is. I see the Greenville ads in craigslist. They must sale slot of units there. I went to the Raleigh NC dealer and he wanted $8999 for a 2018 and wouldn't comeme off a buck.

Reactions: Bad_bowtie
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Does anyone know if there is a way to check clutch health by a test drive. Will it slip or shift hard or chatter? I've never drove one to compare?
Not really, in general these units are tougher than an anvil.... like damn near impossible to break. I wouldn't worry too much about the engine/trans/clutch, look for leaks & damage on the skid. Other than that there isn't much to check out, again they are tough. I've beat the living crap out of mine, buried it in mud up to the seat and run it down the road WFO bouncing off the rev limiter for 10 miles straight, it just laughs and keeps going. I've had several Hondas and haven't been able to break one yet but I keep trying o_O

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
P500s normal to be a bit clunky, many including me have done clutch adjustment for fine tuning. Not hard to do, loosen nut, turn screw, tighten nut, same set up on newer models. Wish mine had those shock upgrades and doors.

Last edited:
T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Not really, in general these units are tougher than an anvil.... like damn near impossible to break. I wouldn't worry too much about the engine/trans/clutch, look for leaks & damage on the skid. Other than that there isn't much to check out, again they are tough. I've beat the living crap out of mine, buried it in mud up to the seat and run it down the road WFO bouncing off the rev limiter for 10 miles straight, it just laughs and keeps going. I've had several Hondas and haven't been able to break one yet but I keep trying o_O
Thanks that gives me peace of mind. I've owned hondas since the 80s still own a 500fm quad and a trx300 fourtrax. Can't kill em. Glad to hear Hondas still makes quality machines

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
P500s normal to be a bit clunky, many including me have done clutch adjustment with good results.
Thanks. In Auto or manual or both? I have binged on the appilacian mountain riders video blog. Learned alot so far. Good blog.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks that gives me peace of mind. I've owned hondas since the 80s still own a 500fm quad and a trx300 fourtrax. Can't kill em. Glad to hear Hondas still makes quality machines

The P5 engine has the same basic engine architecture as your 500 Foreman, not that parts will interchange but the basic layout & design is the same.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!