P500 Used P500 shopping

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Congrats, rocks here also, finally went with Ricochet rock sliders and full skid plate after the Takeover ride. Dents on skid plates show they protected the important stuff!
I'll take a look at the sliders and skids on Google. Thanks.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Machine was just serviced at the dealer but I'm like you I will replace every fluid that way I know that it has been done. I have almost 30 years in aviation. It has made me over inspect and over maintain all my toys. Already cleaned and inspected the front. Getting started on the middle section.View attachment 98195 View attachment 98196 View attachment 98195 View attachment 98196

Very nice to hear you go through it and not rely on undocumented evidence.

Here are some items to consider when you jump into a service:
  • Go ahead and clean it, drive it some allowing it to dry overnight; cleaning the unit will do multiple things for you, i.e., allow you to work on a clean unit and not get dirt in your eyes, plus it will give you a better view of any potential issues that may have been hiding behind dirt/mud
  • Be sure to get the correct fluids (differentials and engine) for this unit and will not bore you or others with all the flavors out there, but you need hypoid gear oil and wet clutch engine oil, respectively and likewise, quality filters (air and oil). Please note, the oil filter goes in two different ways, but only one way is correct, so either keep up with how it came out of check out post here/elsewhere on correct orientation, because put is incorrect will be catastrophic. Also, be mindful of the bolts which hold on the oil filter cover and not over tighten/snap them and the correct torq specs should be in the manual or found here, P500 - P500 Oil Change Problem
  • Enjoy the work :)

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Very nice to hear you go through it and not rely on undocumented evidence.

Here are some items to consider when you jump into a service:
  • Go ahead and clean it, drive it some allowing it to dry overnight; cleaning the unit will do multiple things for you, i.e., allow you to work on a clean unit and not get dirt in your eyes, plus it will give you a better view of any potential issues that may have been hiding behind dirt/mud
  • Be sure to get the correct fluids (differentials and engine) for this unit and will not bore you or others with all the flavors out there, but you need hypoid gear oil and wet clutch engine oil, respectively and likewise, quality filters (air and oil). Please note, the oil filter goes in two different ways, but only one way is correct, so either keep up with how it came out of check out post here/elsewhere on correct orientation, because put is incorrect will be catastrophic. Also, be mindful of the bolts which hold on the oil filter cover and not over tighten/snap them and the correct torq specs should be in the manual or found here, P500 - P500 Oil Change Problem
  • Enjoy the work :)
Sounds like the words from a true mechanic. Well said. I'm on the same page with you. I've had good service from vehicles that are maintained correctly. I do tend to use the equipment to it's full potential. Therefore I keep my toys in good working condition. And the only way to perform a thorough inspection is to clean first. I like what I've seen so far. The rock damage on the skids and under the doors appears to be contained to just that. No damage to the drivetrain or suspension. I looked up the frame on a exploded view retail site and found that the frame (under the doors) where I have damage are bolt on items. And can be purchased for a little over $200 each. I may end up buying them due to every time I approach the sxs I look at the damage. Just my OCD I guess. Anyway thanks for the advice. This site has been very helpful.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
C1AFABF0 F0E3 43C3 B0A8 69C0D93EE587
@TJoffroad , FYI, about the dents on the frame under the door, here’s a pic of the rock sliders and skid plate. Don’t know if that will cover your battle scars along with better protection.
35E1F647 EBF4 4F91 BC03 A8D5A3370657

Last edited:
Reactions: TJoffroad
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
long low machines like that and any utv really, going to hit there, only things you can do is not care if the frame is fine or put something under it the front plate and middle to cover where it bangs the most.

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
View attachment 98237 @TJoffroad , FYI, about the dents on the frame under the door, here’s a pic of the rock sliders and front skid plate. Don’t know if that will cover your battle scars along with better protection.
I do like those and the UHMW ones also. I'll be purchasing one of the them. Your picture has a better angle than the website pic. Looks nice and tight. That's one clean machine there. I like the UHMW one piece for the purpose of a one continuous slide if you get on a rock. I like yours for being modular and they appear to shingle so you can't snag an edge on a rock. And you would only need to remove the one piece needed for maintenance and not the entire piece. I'll do some more investigating. I'll look around at my work also. We use alot of UHMW and delrin. Maybe I could find some scrap pieces to make my own. Thanks

Reactions: Mudder
T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
long low machines like that and any utv really, going to hit there, only things you can do is not care if the frame is fine or put something under it the front plate and middle to cover where it bangs the most.
Yeah I just need to get used to it. Once the "new to me" wears off I'll just cover it and beat the crap out of it more.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
Congrats....Us P500 guys are a great group and any of us can help you with anything for your machine! The takeover ride is for sure a MUST DO...

Reactions: Chooglin
T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Congrats....Us P500 guys are a great group and any of us can help you with anything for your machine! The takeover ride is for sure a MUST DO...
I saw the date for the ride and I've been looking at the calendar. I'd love to make it there to meet and thank everyone in person for the support, kind words, and positivity for this sport. Tough with 2 kids and a wife with a two seater. All the rental guys have Polaris. Guess I need another 500 or possibly a 4-seater to bring the whole family. This could be addictive and expensive.

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Not "could be" it is !!!! But also enjoyable spending money and modding these machines.
Speaking of mods/add-ons, do you know if it is possible to fit your glove box, winch relay,power steering and a heater under the hood?

C

Chooglin

Speaking of mods/add-ons, do you know if it is possible to fit your glove box, winch relay,power steering and a heater under the hood?
I don't know about the heater but everything else will fit under the hood.

You will need to move your winch contactor , if it is located in the factory position. It's not that hard to do , this is where I mounted mine.
Screenshot 2017 09 22 18 03 42

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own

You will need to move your winch contactor , if it is located in the factory position. It's not that hard to do , this is where I mounted mine.
View attachment 98253
Can't view the attachment. I get an error code sorry. Buy yes my contractor is mounted where the glove box mounts.

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Can't view the attachment. I get an error code sorry. Buy yes my contractor is mounted where the glove box mounts.
Went back out and came back in. Now the photo loaded thanks. I'll relocate to the same place

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Can get filled up quickly. You can judge available space on left from looking at the silver top of the power steering unit at the bottom of pic.

AD4B4605 3D72 4B3C B735 7073E4BAED4E

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 98253
Not "everything",the TrailBoss Aux Battery mounting kit will not allow use of the "box.DSC01236

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah I just need to get used to it. Once the "new to me" wears off I'll just cover it and beat the crap out of it more.
You need to load that puppy up and come down to Laurinburg,I live across the road from an atv park with plenty of good stuff for us P-5 pilots.We [500 owners] can navigate every trail there while razors are left wondering "where did they go?"LoL.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!