BOX1

P500 Walker Evans shocks for P500

B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
Does WE shocks give the machine any lift?

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Does WE shocks give the machine any lift?
If you watch my install vid you'll see that you can get quite a bit of lift out of them. I had the preloads only down a quarter of an inch from the top of the shock so lots more adjustment is there. I wouldn't recommend over doing it though or you'll kill your cv joints.

Reactions: trigger
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I've had these on the front for about a year. Had to turn lower mount around and reweld. They really do a great job.The compression adjustment stop the front end from diving on whoops,its great!
These I have are for a yamaha rhino... part# 400-16-04. Mine shipped with 250lb springs which are too heavy. Im going to get 160lb replacement springs like Solrus has on his.
The ride is great though,even with those stronger springs

Maybe these "exact fit" for the pioneer have 160lb springs instead of 250lb like my rhino models.
I'd check with them before purchasing.

View attachment 50708

View attachment 50707
How many 'loonies' were those bad-boys up there eh?

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I wonder how much of a pita it's going to be to paint those springs? I know they want their product to stick out but I'm not putting anything red on this rig.
I don't know this to be a fact, but I assume that if you order them from the factory you could request a different color spring. When I talked to them earlier this week on the phone they told me that they had one set ready to go. If they have to build a set to fill an order, it might be as simple as requesting a different color spring. Never hurts to ask.

Reactions: Miss_Oak
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I was quoted a price of $1,239.96 for the set of four shocks shipped to Southern Ohio.

Last edited:
Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
I wonder how much of a pita it's going to be to paint those springs? I know they want their product to stick out but I'm not putting anything red on this rig.

I was thinking the same thing!

Reactions: trigger
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
They supplied mine Grey

20160910 133614

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Ouch! That's a lot of loonies! I guess they don't have a canadian distributor...Tempted to start with the fronts they are so weak.
yea we do suffer on the dollar difference
You wont regret the shocks,even just the fronts. I'm keeping mine for a long time i figure and dont mind investing in it.If i were switching machines every 5 years ,id leave it stock for the most part.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree that the front shocks make up 80% + of the P5's ride. Just replacing the front helps a lot!

After having WE shocks on the front of mine for 10 months......
my opinion is that 250lb springs are too stiff for the front.
The 425HD progressives (with 110-160lb spring rate) that some guys here have on the front ,are fine,and give a correct ride height with little, if any, bottoming out.
The WE shocks has adjustable compression control which adjusts with just a turn of a button to prevent bottoming out. I'm finding that you have to ride very aggressive to need to turn that 16 position adjustment up to position 5 or 6 . A softer spring should allow for more movement at lower speeds and improve ride even more ,while allowing you to adjust compression adjustment for terrain. Right now the faster i go the more that those WE's soak it up. I want to soften the low speed ride even more.

however,
even with those 250lb springs the ride is worlds apart from stock

@solrus changed his WE shocks to 175lb springs. Maybe he'll comment
Yes 175 lbs works great. As u can observe WE were selling with 250 lbs, now they changed to 175 lbs on their website. They discouraged me to drop spring rate to 175 lbs , I decided to try and was right. Later they shorten shocks and which were tried by Appalachian rider , you saw his YouTube videos , and he also tried different springs. And stopped at 175lbs. I commented his video few times , did not get reply. I wonder what were results with 160 spring. But since I have tool box at the front compartment , and I'm 230 lbs guy ,I think 175 vs 160 should be unnoticeable difference.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
yea we do suffer on the dollar difference
You wont regret the shocks,even just the fronts. I'm keeping mine for a long time i figure and dont mind investing in it.If i were switching machines every 5 years ,id leave it stock for the most part.

Just wondering if there is a consensus on how many clicks on the settings everyone is running? Like Chooglin stated in another post, I pretty much find the happy medium and just leave it there.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wondering if there is a consensus on how many clicks on the settings everyone is running? Like Chooglin stated in another post, I pretty much find the happy medium and just leave it there.
I clicked one time , and happy, I do not fly in it, meaning jumping when all 4 off the ground .

Also about the color of the springs. Gray color WE springs 250 lbs, lower rates made by eichbach ( sorry for incorrect spelling). They are red. I highly doubt WE will paint gray into other colors since they don't actually make them but order from another place in bulk

My gut guess that WE did not change valving in shocks and the original spring 250 was also 12" long but they shorten the shock tube to fit p500. I might be wrong. But my guess is based on that they did not change spring on it and supplied with 250 lbs, then changed to 175 after probably read our testing. Looks like it was quick dirty ( no real thoughtful testing) adaptation of Rhino shocks.

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500

You set spring preload for the ride height you want ,under the load conditions (passengers,gear) you want.

for compression adjustment.....
I leave mine down on the soft settings (1-2) for the most part. I've still got those stiff 250lb springs and only need to adjust up setting when 2 up in certain conditions. Softer springs would allow for more shock movement
An example would be in the winter going along ungroomed snowmobile paths. With 2 people on board , on trails that are like the"whoops " on a motocross track (maybe a foot from top of crest to bottom of dip?), I played with the adjustment. On "soft" the ride was good with no bottoming out (going as fast as i comfortably could).
By turning up the compression adjustment (to 6 or 7) , I was able to greatly decrease the "dive" that the front end was doing in the dips between the mounds. The ride was more controlled with less diving and a pleasure to drive and ride in.
I'm sure i'd pee blood with stock shocks lol

I feel that softer springs would allow for more suspension movement ,and adjustments of the compression would show up over a broader range of speed (read slower)

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
So finally convinced the other half i need some shocks. Do they still offer us a forum member discount on them?

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yes 175 lbs works great. As u can observe WE were selling with 250 lbs, now they changed to 175 lbs on their website. They discouraged me to drop spring rate to 175 lbs , I decided to try and was right. Later they shorten shocks and which were tried by Appalachian rider , you saw his YouTube videos , and he also tried different springs. And stopped at 175lbs. I commented his video few times , did not get reply. I wonder what were results with 160 spring. But since I have tool box at the front compartment , and I'm 230 lbs guy ,I think 175 vs 160 should be unnoticeable difference.

Sorry you commented and I didn't reply, I never got any notifications. I don't know if it's because those vids have been on for a while or not...lol. Any way 175lb was the softest springs I got from WE so I never tried any softer. It's probalby too late now but the 200lb springs were nice as well. Just a touch stiffer but not much. Two clicks down on avarage from the 175lb to get a comparable ride. Again, sorry I missed your comments!

Reactions: solrus
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!