P1000 Water in Gas

R

ryjack70ss

Aug 17, 2018
St. Louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all, I have read many threads on extending the gas tank vent lines on the p1000-5 but have not done it. I do not ride in deep water. Took the honda out and it started stalling on flat farm fields. Nursed it back to the trailer to get it home.

Symptoms:
1. die intermittently
2. stall with throttle
3. Stall with putting into gear from park
4. Rough idle

Diagnostics and treatments:
1. Battery good
2. Emptied gas tank and noticed just a tiny bit of water separation in the bottom of a clear bottle. Maybe 2% of the volume
3. Refilled with good gas - ran for a bit but then symptoms returned within minutes
4. Pulled the plugs, fouled and burnt looking, so I replaced plugs (most expensive plugs I have ever seen by the way) - runs like a champ since

I looked at the vent line for the gas and it ends in the cross brace behind the seat. I see where people are extending these, but why? How the hell is water getting in there with washing the side by side? It is in an enclosed square metal tube through a hole not much bigger than the tube, I have a hard time seeing how a pressure washer or even a hose gets water in there. Can someone enlighten me on why this happened?

Thanks!!!

Ryan

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
St. Louis has some fairly high humidity now and then. That can cause condensation inside the tank as temperatures drop . . . this would be exacerbated if the tank is not full or mostly so. The water will "collect" in the tank over time. No need to go snorkeling, just a guess.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont know why but washing this bike can put water in the gas tank and the sub trans mostly the gas do those lines for sure.Had the same problem after just washing.No problem since.Does act pretty stupid.

Sowie

Sowie

Dec 7, 2019
Bunnell, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could be the ethanol in the gas which absorbs moisture out of the air. If you let your sxs sit keep a full tank of fuel to limit the air in the tank and use some fuel stabilizer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey all, I have read many threads on extending the gas tank vent lines on the p1000-5 but have not done it. I do not ride in deep water. Took the honda out and it started stalling on flat farm fields. Nursed it back to the trailer to get it home.

Symptoms:
1. die intermittently
2. stall with throttle
4. Rough idle

1. Battery good
2. Emptied gas tank and noticed just a tiny bit of water separation in the bottom of a clear bottle. Maybe 2% of the volume
3. Refilled with good gas - ran for a bit but then symptoms returned within minutes
4. Pulled the plugs, fouled and burnt looking, so I replaced plugs (most expensive plugs I have ever seen by the way) - runs like a champ since

I looked at the vent line for the gas and it ends in the cross brace behind the seat. I see where people are extending these, but why? How the hell is water getting in there with washing the side by side? It is in an enclosed square metal tube through a hole not much bigger than the tube, I have a hard time seeing how a pressure washer or even a hose gets water in there. Can someone enlighten me on why this happened?

Thanks!!!

Ryan
What yr is your machine? You say “not in deep water” does that mean u go in some water or none? Thats another reason for the year, more info and pics Etc.

Yes you should snorkel it, everything u can! Washing and slight splashes can and will get in that area. earlier models have a differnt intake that can engest light water as well and cause problems. the little info we have, we cant 100% answer ur question.

R

ryjack70ss

Aug 17, 2018
St. Louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for everyone’s reply. To answer some questions, we don’t ride through water other than occasional puddles on the road. So negligible.

It’s a 2018 pioneer 1000-5

i attached photos. You can see only very minimal water as that’s a 2 liter bottle but it’s the only thing I can blame that mucked up the plugs.

62C559EC 9925 4001 A98C 68E4C546A3A9 2E3A3225 B428 40DB 8B67 2D5385B20159

R

ryjack70ss

Aug 17, 2018
St. Louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What vent kit did everyone use? I’ll order one and put it in. Just seems weird to get water after washing it when the vent ends in a solid metal crossmember. 🤯

Reactions: Buggyman and Lady01
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What vent kit did everyone use? I’ll order one and put it in. Just seems weird to get water after washing it when the vent ends in a solid metal crossmember. 🤯
I don't think it's a solid "sealed" cross-member, but I could be wrong. You can do a DIY vent extension or a lot of people buy from @Bayouownbeer . he's got a pretty good kit available 👍

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Send me PM for 5$ off eBay prices. The 5$ is applied with direct payment using PayPal, Venmo, cash app or Facebook pay. This is the kit thousands of members have used. Includes everything needed to extend all 6 vents with black tubing. No sourcing out parts or multiple trips to the hardware. This includes first class USPS shipping. Instructions and tracking will be emailed. For faster shipping please Inquire it’s $3 extra

Screen shot Reviews on my page in the feed

https://m.facebook.com/Hondapioneer1000seatheatsolutions/

Vent extension kit without filters recommended for 5 seater. Filters not needed your preference. Simple hour install. Great piece of mind knowing your covered.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit Without filters | eBay

With filters recommended for 3 seater pioneers and the Talon unless you drill three 1/4” holes to put the ends of the tubing into. If you don’t heavy mud you can use the kit without filters and simply turn the ends down 90 degrees.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit. With filters | eBay

Both heat shields and vent kits package without filters

Honda Pioneer 1000-5&3 Heat Shield's 1&2 + Vent Extension Package Without Filter | eBay

With filters

Honda Pioneer 1000-5&3 Heat Shield's 1&2 + Vent Extension Package With Filters | eBay

Just heat shields. This material is construction grade material very thick 5/16” and durable. Fire class 1 rating

Honda Pioneer 1000-5 & 3 Seat heat Shield Part 1 and part 2 | eBay

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Send me PM for 5$ off eBay prices. The 5$ is applied with direct payment using PayPal, Venmo, cash app or Facebook pay. This is the kit thousands of members have used. Includes everything needed to extend all 6 vents with black tubing. No sourcing out parts or multiple trips to the hardware. This includes first class USPS shipping. Instructions and tracking will be emailed. For faster shipping please Inquire it’s $3 extra

Screen shot Reviews on my page in the feed

https://m.facebook.com/Hondapioneer1000seatheatsolutions/

Vent extension kit without filters recommended for 5 seater. Filters not needed your preference. Simple hour install. Great piece of mind knowing your covered.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit Without filters | eBay

With filters recommended for 3 seater pioneers and the Talon unless you drill three 1/4” holes to put the ends of the tubing into. If you don’t heavy mud you can use the kit without filters and simply turn the ends down 90 degrees.

“The Original” Honda Pioneer 1000/700/500 & Talon Vent Ext. Kit. With filters | eBay

Both heat shields and vent kits package without filters

Honda Pioneer 1000-5&3 Heat Shield's 1&2 + Vent Extension Package Without Filter | eBay

With filters

Honda Pioneer 1000-5&3 Heat Shield's 1&2 + Vent Extension Package With Filters | eBay

Just heat shields. This material is construction grade material very thick 5/16” and durable. Fire class 1 rating

Honda Pioneer 1000-5 & 3 Seat heat Shield Part 1 and part 2 | eBay
This is the real fix!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500

Symptoms:
1. die intermittently
2. stall with throttle
4. Rough idle

1. Battery good

Thanks!!!

Ryan
If you're using E-10 fuel, what you are seeing isn't water, but phase separation. It happens when the ethanol in the fuel has absorbed water from atmosphere, or gas cans or any other source. The phase separation can appear and dissapear depending on temperature if the fuel is right on the edge of water saturation- it can come straight from the pump like this- not often, but possible. What looks like water is actually a mixture of ethanol and water that will make the engine run like pure s**t, and the fuel left behind is low octane crap. If possible, use non-ethanol fuel, and if the machine sits for more than a week at a time, or you use gas cans to store your fuel, always add a stabilizer and fuel system cleaner to your fuel whether it has ethanol or not. I work on boats, and see this issue constantly. Keep in mind, all gasoline has up to 10% ethanol in it, unless specifically stated on the pump that it does not. And, phase separated fuel really likes to foul plugs, is extremely corrosive, and will grow all kinds of amazing stuff in the fuel system that filters won't stop... $$$

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Ethanol is a politics-based sham and would be outlawed if those in charge put common sense first. The stuff is less efficient (may increase power slightly), increases food prices, and is harmful in a lot of ways, especially to small engines/carburetors or if stored for any period of time (decide for yourself if this sham is related to the early primary states that are big corn producers...).

Interestingly, even the green folks are now saying adding ethanol is a net negative for the environment, yet it persists. On top of that, our government is currently talking about doing away with the summer restrictions on its use "to save people money at the gas pump." Those summer restrictions were because of smog concerns...what a sham!

Anyway, rather than listening to me just rant on and on about it, here is a "Project Farm" Youtube video about ethanol in gas and the effectiveness of various stabilizers. Project Farm has some great content on a number of subjects:

C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4

Symptoms:
1. die intermittently
2. stall with throttle
4. Rough idle

1. Battery good

Thanks!!!

Ryan
Ryan, like some have suggested already, you wouldn't believe how much moisture is created inside a fuel tank due to condensation, and that condensation cycle occurs every single day, as the tank and contents heat and then cool off, I don't know what your politics are on fuel but I wont and haven't ever run this ethanol fuel in anything, with the exception of our everyday transportation car, which is 85% capable. You would not believe what happens to ethanol fuel within a few weeks, and the addition of fuel stabilizer doesn't deter the horrible properties of ethanol fuel, although
I would never consider not using fuel stabilizer, all fuel stabilizer does is prevent oxygen from degrading the surface layer of fuel, the rest of the batch does what is called phase separation, and once separated nothing you can do will repropogate the contents, and the heaviest layer is so corrosive that even stainless steel components are at risk. Just go buy the ethanol free gas and eliminate this eventuality.

Reactions: JWB and TOGR

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!