P1000m5 What about a trailer to haul one around in?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use my 18' 12000 lb. ABU Bobcat trailer. I'M hopping to fit two sxs's on it with little modification. It's a 2001 model and was junk but we completely rebuilt it along with new 1/4 plate fenders. Looks brand new!
Two SXS's on an 18' trailer should work fine. I squeezed my pioneer and my 60hp tractor on my 18' flatbed.

It was tight but they fit!

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks much like my trailer but i have flip up ramps. Thanks for the picture.

Reactions: Tflynn
C

cc1999

Feb 5, 2016
KS/OK
77inchx12 foot works wellView attachment 9765

I noticed you have the soft side enclosure. I am still trying to decide if I want to get those. I have the glass windshield and the hard roof. I was planning on the enclosure as well, just like yours. My dealer could not answer any questions about that enclosure.

I asked is it safe to transport at 75-80mph down the interstate with those soft panels installed and in place.
I asked that question because I destroyed a brand new Bimini top on a RZR several years ago, transporting it in place just and just shredded it. I also asked about how hard those panels were to removed and store for transit. They never sold a set so they had 0 answers for me.

I see you have something that looks like straps wrapped on yours. Is that to hold those soft panels in place?

C

cc1999

Feb 5, 2016
KS/OK
As far as the trailer goes I have a 20ft PJ C5 car trailer now a little short in length and the deck height is also a bit of issue trying to clear my 99" tall barn door. My 1000-5s are 80"s tall and the trailer deck height is 22, making the combo about 3"'s to tall. plus that 20ft trailer is really too short for safely hauling the pair, I am ordering a PJ U8 83"x22' 2ft dove and 3ft drop gate with drop axles that will bring the std 21" deck height down to 18" and allow me to back the whole thing up into the barn for storage and not have to unload and double the space needed to store the machines and trailer.

For hauling a single machine I have a PJ 7714 2ft dove with a drop grate. Very handy. I also use it for the riding mowers.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
What is everyone using to haul their Pioneers around.I have found the height to be an issue with some
enclosed models.What is everyone doing? I'm looking for options.Thinking maybe 2 trailers,one enclosed for long hauls and a little utility to just buzz it from ranch to ranch.
@Digger welcome to the club! You can have them order you a trailer that is +12" in height that will give you 6-8" of clearance, would probably add about $400 to the price of a 20 ft. enclosed car trailer, they are 6.5 ft. std. height and you need 7 ft. min really.

vince

vince

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2015
vidor texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I noticed you have the soft side enclosure. I am still trying to decide if I want to get those. I have the glass windshield and the hard roof. I was planning on the enclosure as well, just like yours. My dealer could not answer any questions about that enclosure.

I asked is it safe to transport at 75-80mph down the interstate with those soft panels installed and in place.
I asked that question because I destroyed a brand new Bimini top on a RZR several years ago, transporting it in place just and just shredded it. I also asked about how hard those panels were to removed and store for transit. They never sold a set so they had 0 answers for me.

I see you have something that looks like straps wrapped on yours. Is that to hold those soft panels in place?
yes sir. it made it for a round trip to the deer lease about 700 miles.all did good.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
14 x 7 enclosed with tandom axles works good. Has 4 feet of extra room inside to haul hunting and camping gear. Easy to lock up and secure.

100 0914 100 0920

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks tight to get out of the driver's door.
Need to exit passenger side door thru window, only drawback. Its a pain but wider trailer would have been problem to park where I need to. Life sometimes comes with limitations and compromises.

Reactions: vince
C

cc1999

Feb 5, 2016
KS/OK
yes sir. it made it for a round trip to the deer lease about 700 miles.all did good.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any sort of quick release on the soft side door pieces and rear piece. I am thinking I would only need them for big all day rides out in Colorado where you never know what the weather might do. I was picturing them as being sort of like the soft side jeep doors and windows, you can pull them on and off pretty quick. I have the hard roofs and glass windshield. The instructions are just not real clear on how they come on and off once you have the mounting hardware in place. It looks like you may have to take the entire mounting hardware an all off, to remove them?

vince

vince

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2015
vidor texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
front doors yes. six screws i belive.back doors a bit easier undo one end of shock.and the little plactic clamp and there off.

Reactions: cc1999
C

cc1999

Feb 5, 2016
KS/OK
front doors yes. six screws i belive.back doors a bit easier undo one end of shock.and the little plactic clamp and there off.

Looking at the pic's. I noticed you took your nets off, and Fanzw left their nets on under the windows.
What's the story on that, is it still recommended to leave the nets on behind them ? I would have thought the nets could be removed as you have on yours and still be safe.

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at the pic's. I noticed you took your nets off, and Fanzw left their nets on under the windows.
What's the story on that, is it still recommended to leave the nets on behind them ? I would have thought the nets could be removed as you have on yours and still be safe.
Very observant ,it was an earlier picture when I first got the rig from the dealer. Have removed the nets from the front door areas, served no purpose for my needs. What to do is drive the rig in , hug the left side, have small step ladder to get out of passenger side window and get out the trailers front right door. Tried winching rig into the trailer, basically drained rigs battery doing that, decided that was not worth it. Pulling it over to left side like ghost originally posted makes the most sense. Have found that in life nothing is perfect, adapt and overcome.

D

Digger

Jan 7, 2016
So I ended up buying a PJ trailer 12 feet long and 6.5 feet wide.Dam nice little trailer with sides and a drive up ramp on the back.
I'll post a picture first time I load the Pioneer on.

Tabascojunkie

Tabascojunkie

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 25, 2016
SE Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
7.5x16 tandem axle hauls the Piney with a King Quad behind it

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just bought a single axle, 7 X 12, aluminum trailer with a hydraulic tilt, and it is a dream to load and unload. It has a rail around it that is about 10" tall (you need it low enough so the doors clear it), and I put a 2' windscreen across the front to protect from rocks etc. The hydraulic tilt allows you to drive on and off without ramps or any effort at all. I wanted an enclosed trailer for my P1000, but a 7' wide enclosed is way to tight, and an 8' wide is too much for my comfort and for my vehicle. My local dealer had me drive in an out of various enclosed trailers, had me take lengthy road tests, and made sure that I was buying what I wanted and needed. This buying exercise made a huge difference in what I thought I wanted, and what I ended up buying - REALLY WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT.

BTW, I was going to buy extra bearing in case of road trouble, but instead the dealer sold me a complete hub with the bearing and already packed with grease - $40. Great idea for sure.

I definitely spent extra bucks for aluminum, but I'm tired of messing with plywood floors and/or heavy trailers. I have a mid-sized SUV (Highlander), and the weight of the trailer and P1000 pulls very easily. I think the aluminum takes about 500 lbs. off of the trailer weight. Plus my trailer will sit out in the weather, and I don't have to worry about it. I paid about 2 times what you can buy a decent trailer for, but my trailer is worry free, nearly maintenance free, and light weight. Not the trailer for everyone, but I sure like it.

(Just looked it up - Aluma trailer made in Bancroft IA, model 7712HTilt, 14" tires, www. alumaklm.com. It may sound like a commercial, but I have no financial interest in this at all.)

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: elkguide and JTW
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just bought a single axle, 7 X 12, aluminum trailer with a hydraulic tilt, and it is a dream to load and unload. It has a rail around it that is about 10" tall (you need it low enough so the doors clear it), and I put a 2' windscreen across the front to protect from rocks etc. The hydraulic tilt allows you to drive on and off without ramps or any effort at all. I wanted an enclosed trailer for my P1000, but a 7' wide enclosed is way to tight, and an 8' wide is too much for my comfort and for my vehicle. My local dealer had me drive in an out of various enclosed trailers, had me take lengthy road tests, and made sure that I was buying what I wanted and needed. This buying exercise made a huge difference in what I thought I wanted, and what I ended up buying - REALLY WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT.

BTW, I was going to buy extra bearing in case of road trouble, but instead the dealer sold me a complete hub with the bearing and already packed with grease - $40. Great idea for sure.

I definitely spent extra bucks for aluminum, but I'm tired of messing with plywood floors and/or heavy trailers. I have a mid-sized SUV (Highlander), and the weight of the trailer and P1000 pulls very easily. I think the aluminum takes about 500 lbs. off of the trailer weight. Plus my trailer will sit out in the weather, and I don't have to worry about it. I paid about 2 times what you can buy a decent trailer for, but my trailer is worry free, nearly maintenance free, and light weight. Not the trailer for everyone, but I sure like it.

(Just looked it up - Aluma trailer made in Bancroft IA, model 7712HTilt, 14" tires, www. alumaklm.com. It may sound like a commercial, but I have no financial interest in this at all.)

Good luck
I looked at those trailers. I am limited for room if I wanted to store it in side, 7 x12 was bigger than minimum size. So I got 6.5 x 10. It just fits. I have a fold up tail gate,,its heavy, a hydraulic tilt would have been nice. (Oh well to late now haha) That's was a good idea about the spare bearing hub. What's nice is the 14" tires, they turn slower, less heat, less chance of wheel bearing issues. Speaking of that I have a boat trailer that I bought new in 1989. I repacked the bearings three times , the last time was about 2yrs ago. I bought in California, made a trip to Wisconsin and back, then brought here when I moved back here. Other than that it's spends most its time setting, I fish probably a 30 mile radius. The point is if you do some maintenance, wheel bearing should last for awhile with out issues. Just my 2 cents.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Been searching for a deal on an enclosed trailer lately and it's been hell. They're expensive and the ones that are slightly cheaper are built like crap. Can't find a used one with the height to fit the pioneer anywhere. Going to look at a new leftover 2016 7 x 12, w/7' interior height and tandem axle tomorrow, shooting for $4k. Sure would be nice for a haul in April as far as TN.

Reactions: ohanacreek

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!