BOX1

P1000m5 What about a trailer to haul one around in?

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Been searching for a deal on an enclosed trailer lately and it's been hell. They're expensive and the ones that are slightly cheaper are built like crap. Can't find a used one with the height to fit the pioneer anywhere. Going to look at a new leftover 2016 7 x 12, w/7' interior height and tandem axle tomorrow, shooting for $4k. Sure would be nice for a haul in April as far as TN.
I just went through an extensive search hoping to be able to use a 7' wide enclosed, but it is just too narrow unless you climb out somewhere besides using the doors. I even tried to have a custom door put on the side of the trailer to allow entry and exit, but the axle was in the way. I drove my P1000 in several 7' wide trailers, and it just doesn't work since I'm too old to climb out the back. I can't haul a 8' wide, and I understand they can be a bear to pull. I ended up with a 7 X 12 aluminum (Aluma I think), tilt trailer with hydraulic assist and a 2' wind screen across the front. It is a breeze to load and unload, but unfortunately it's an open trailer. I put a lot of effort in my search, and finally had to face what would work for my machine and my tow vehicle. Now I need to look for a small outbuilding to store it in. LOL Good luck.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Done deal...
Trailer 1

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Yeah, the tandem deal didn't pan out. Being a held over 2016 they wouldn't give any warranty at all and that just didn't sit well. It wasn't put together as nice as this one either and they were about the same price. Now I gotta figure out a floor covering, any ideas that won't break the bank much further?

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yeah, the tandem deal didn't pan out. Being a held over 2016 they wouldn't give any warranty at all and that just didn't sit well. It wasn't put together as nice as this one either and they were about the same price. Now I gotta figure out a floor covering, any ideas that won't break the bank much further?

1/2” stall pads from tractor supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
I use a 7.5 x 16’ flat bed trailer that I had 4’ mesh sides welded on ( looks like a landscaping trailer) with a front and rear drop gate. I had the sides put on to help detour theft, I also put the bikes, gas cans and kayaks in there and the sides help. I pull it with the motor home or a Durango.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
you can get the picnic table paint for about 10 bucks a gallon, very thick and tough and you can just hose it out, i dont care what the inside looks like because its inside, i used to keep the quads in it, in and out all the time with mud tires. also used barn paint for quad trailers thats not as ugly you can get it in a few colors, like white or red but i think its 15 or 16 a gal and 3 gal for two coats on 7x14 with shelf and 2ft nose. home depot or walmart have the best prices ive found.
just first coat and nothing on the shelf
20170218-151032.jpg

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan on getting a 7x14 tandem axle trailer to haul mine with. I would love an enclosed trailer, but it too expensive for me. $1,700 vs $5,000.

I thought this too before purchasing my 7x14 enclosed for my p1000, until I factored in that it doubles as storage when not in use, is great for moving friends and family, can double as a cheap camper, and makes moving and storing construction supplies super easy, plus I don’t have to worry about my equipment in the weather either.

I have easily recovered the cost difference in the first two years of owning my enclosed trailer.

I used to use a 6x10 open trailer, one 800 mi trip in the winter icy rain mix with my ‘08 Ranger was enough to make me realize that was not a long term option for me.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
expensive area here but mine has overbuilt options, use a trailer a while and you appreciate, 6.5 ft tall, two leaf spring axles with ezlube hubs. they dont care if you over load them like torsion ones. was 4500, you can get smaller ones but the 7ft ones for utv are normally 5 to 5500, seems worth it to me for same reasons as above

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
I am also going to buy 2 trailers... 7x12 open aluma and an rc 7x12 enclosed... I did not want to get the extra height one for more money but instead will get the 6' 6" on the inside...so door opening is about 74" Honda p1000-5 deluxe height is about 76.4 add 2.5" for the factory roof at the rear, so you are at about 78.0" 4.0" too tall... either take off the roof before you put it in the trailer or let some air out of the tires and ratchet down suspension in back a few inches... it should work for me, I will let you know soon... I have thought about tis for 2 months trying to figure out a way to save a few bucks buy a big trailer... I also may look at the 7x14 but wanted to stay away from a tandem trailer, I know they ride a lot nicer and you can still tow it if you get a flat tire on one but then I have to by a brake controller for mn. because they require one on a tandem... but with the 7x12 you are about 100 lbs within the gross vehicle weight.. honda weighs 1700 wet and if you add some accessories like battery, winch, rear bumper, roof, windshied, light bar, mats, radio, you can add 250 lbs easy...now you might be over...ok for short trips but do not go 65 mph over some rr tracks or you will spring an axel.... also by getting the 7x14 I can haul my sxs and my 1986 big red.... 3900.00 for the rc enclosed 7x12 2300.00 for the 7x12 open... I do not want rock hitting my baby....

Gary

N

nsscout

Aug 29, 2018
Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm using a 5.5 ft by 12 ft single axle. Works great and fits in my single car garage bay. Granted it has 8 ft high door.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!