P1000m5 What about a trailer to haul one around in?

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am also going to buy 2 trailers... 7x12 open aluma and an rc 7x12 enclosed... I did not want to get the extra height one for more money but instead will get the 6' 6" on the inside...so door opening is about 74" Honda p1000-5 deluxe height is about 76.4 add 2.5" for the factory roof at the rear, so you are at about 78.0" 4.0" too tall... either take off the roof before you put it in the trailer or let some air out of the tires and ratchet down suspension in back a few inches... it should work for me, I will let you know soon... I have thought about tis for 2 months trying to figure out a way to save a few bucks buy a big trailer... I also may look at the 7x14 but wanted to stay away from a tandem trailer, I know they ride a lot nicer and you can still tow it if you get a flat tire on one but then I have to by a brake controller for mn. because they require one on a tandem... but with the 7x12 you are about 100 lbs within the gross vehicle weight.. honda weighs 1700 wet and if you add some accessories like battery, winch, rear bumper, roof, windshied, light bar, mats, radio, you can add 250 lbs easy...now you might be over...ok for short trips but do not go 65 mph over some rr tracks or you will spring an axel.... also by getting the 7x14 I can haul my sxs and my 1986 big red.... 3900.00 for the rc enclosed 7x12 2300.00 for the 7x12 open... I do not want rock hitting my baby....

Gary
you are going to want breaks on that any way, 3/4 or 1 tn breaks are about the only thing i would haul 4 to 5 k with out but half ton or smaller you are going to be way over safe limits on hwys or hills. you would be better just getting 14 or 16 dual breaking axles and you will have more that enough, not some where you want to error on the unsafe side. rc trailers are nice good trailers but i would just 6ft6 dual break axle you will be able to stop utv and crap in a hurry they mostly will be 7k total and weigh less than 2, so shelves or benches other quad or atc would all be fine no matter the truck. i always get tekonsha pendulum based controller s much nicer to be able to just set it leave it for the trip. really not that much compared to the 5k trailer and 15k machine they are protecting

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
8.5 X 20 V-nose, just short of 80" tall. I can fit the Pioneer plus my Rancher, the generator, tools, fuel... etc, etc... much more secure than an open trailer too.

Reactions: MuDSlinger
B

BURDdawg

Oct 10, 2017
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
77inchx12 foot works wellView attachment 9765
Hey...I have the same doors (front, back, and rear) Makes trailering a little tricky with all the doors on. I typically unzip front and back doors..:but it appears that you have something (rope) around the entire trailer. How has that worked for you? Until I get a covered trailer..,going to have to do it the old way. I am curious how much "door and window flapping" you see at 70 mph. Thanks

TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have purchased a used 2010 ATC 22'Lx8.5'Wx7.5't enclosed trailer. althought the aluminum frame was broken and cracked on almost all of the cross beams etc. i was lucky enough that my oldest son works in a Fab shop and was able to pull floor up and replace and reinforce all of the frame. added some Etracks although it had some tie down tracks in it i wanted more flexibility. fits all my necessary tools, air compressor, jack, etc and great place to crash as it has AC and heat.

IMG 3758 IMG 3769 IMG 3761

Reactions: MuDSlinger
T

tommyav8s

May 14, 2020
Kodiak AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
I am also going to buy 2 trailers... 7x12 open aluma and an rc 7x12 enclosed... I did not want to get the extra height one for more money but instead will get the 6' 6" on the inside...so door opening is about 74" Honda p1000-5 deluxe height is about 76.4 add 2.5" for the factory roof at the rear, so you are at about 78.0" 4.0" too tall... either take off the roof before you put it in the trailer or let some air out of the tires and ratchet down suspension in back a few inches... it should work for me, I will let you know soon... I have thought about tis for 2 months trying to figure out a way to save a few bucks buy a big trailer... I also may look at the 7x14 but wanted to stay away from a tandem trailer, I know they ride a lot nicer and you can still tow it if you get a flat tire on one but then I have to by a brake controller for mn. because they require one on a tandem... but with the 7x12 you are about 100 lbs within the gross vehicle weight.. honda weighs 1700 wet and if you add some accessories like battery, winch, rear bumper, roof, windshied, light bar, mats, radio, you can add 250 lbs easy...now you might be over...ok for short trips but do not go 65 mph over some rr tracks or you will spring an axel.... also by getting the 7x14 I can haul my sxs and my 1986 big red.... 3900.00 for the rc enclosed 7x12 2300.00 for the 7x12 open... I do not want rock hitting my baby....

Gary
Were you able to get the P1000-5 into the enclosed trailer? I am looking at ordering one with a 7ft interior, but only have a 6'6" (78" ramp opening). With the height at 76.4 plus 3" for the OEM hardcover trying to decide if I need to go up in size. I want to minimize my height because I'll be towing it 5000 miles to AK.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Were you able to get the P1000-5 into the enclosed trailer? I am looking at ordering one with a 7ft interior, but only have a 6'6" (78" ramp opening). With the height at 76.4 plus 3" for the OEM hardcover trying to decide if I need to go up in size. I want to minimize my height because I'll be towing it 5000 miles to AK.
Be careful about trying to get a P1000 into a 7' enclosed trailer. I tried it at a dealer, and it was definitely too tight. The dealer even took pictures of me in the enclosed trailer to show customers that it is not feasible. I couldn't get out. I ended up with nice open trailer by Aluma with the hydraulic assist. I love the trailer, but I understand the desire to be enclosed. The dealer did say that an 8' trailer pulls much harder, and he would not even recommend it at least for my needs. You need something with some power to pull that additional wind resistance.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be careful about trying to get a P1000 into a 7' enclosed trailer. I tried it at a dealer, and it was definitely too tight. The dealer even took pictures of me in the enclosed trailer to show customers that it is not feasible. I couldn't get out. I ended up with nice open trailer by Aluma with the hydraulic assist. I love the trailer, but I understand the desire to be enclosed. The dealer did say that an 8' trailer pulls much harder, and he would not even recommend it at least for my needs. You need something with some power to pull that additional wind resistance.

Not to add to a old thread, but I couldn’t let the above statement go as there’s quite a few that haul in 7’ wide trailers, including me.

Your dealer must have a short tape measure.

Im a big boy and have no trouble with it even with the soft door uppers on and my ice fishing gear on.

You have to park to the far side as close as you can. You step out with your right leg first.

If you have half or no doors, a 7’ wide trailer is plenty of room.

T

tommyav8s

May 14, 2020
Kodiak AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
Not to add to a old thread, but I couldn’t let the above statement go as there’s quite a few that haul in 7’ wide trailers, including me.

Your dealer must have a short tape measure.

Im a big boy and have no trouble with it even with the soft door uppers on and my ice fishing gear on.

You have to park to the far side as close as you can. You step out with your right leg first.

If you have half or no doors, a 7’ wide trailer is plenty of room.
Did you have any issues with the vertical height of the rear door getting into the trailer?

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Aluma 12' tilt trailer with hydraulics and a 2' rock guard (optional), and I couldn't be happier. It is absolutely the best open trailer I could imagine, but it does cost a little more.

Last edited:
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One of these days I'll figure out how to edit out a duplicate photo. Sorry about that, and I still can't figure out how to get rid of one of them.
I have the Aluma 12' tilt trailer with hydraulics and a 2' rock guard (optional), and I couldn't be happier. It is absolutely the best open trailer I could imagine, but it does cost a little more.
View attachment 222281View attachment 222281
Sorry about the duplicate, but I can't seem to get rid of one without getting rid of bought.

Reactions: Vikes79
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hear Madramps are better than a trailer!;)
Mad-Ramps are fine, but why any ramps at all? A tilt trailer eliminates the need to haul and put down your ramps altogether. Just step lightly on the back of the trailer and it comes down to the ground, then drive on and it goes up on its own. Latch the tilt lock, and drive off (after tying down). I totally understand Mad-Ramps if you already have a fixed trailer or pick-up, and you don't want to buy another toy.

Reactions: Vikes79 and Mudwing
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 6x12 single axle trailer with a let down gate. Works for the Pioneer, Zero Turn, and the Pioneer can use it for farm/yard use.

Reactions: JenElio and Mudwing
J

jeffasweet

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2020
Chimacum, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 222281View attachment 222281
How does it balance when you pull the Pioneer on and off, any problems lowering it back down when tilted? Do you mind sharing how much you paid for the trailer?

MuDSlinger

MuDSlinger

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2019
Richland, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
7 x 16 yes it's hard for a round belly to get out far enough for the pioneer door to close then I go out the front...belt buckle has scratched up pioneer sticker... I just put it N and push it out..
20191103 170627

Reactions: Mudwing
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How does it balance when you pull the Pioneer on and off, any problems lowering it back down when tilted? Do you mind sharing how much you paid for the trailer?
No problem. When you are ready to unload, you simply back-up slowly and the hydraulics (one simple hydraulic cylinder) causes the trailer to descend very slowly. Likewise when you load it, the trailer is down and you drive up and the hydraulics cause the front to come down very slowly. I find it easier when loading to have one foot on the brake and one on the gas, but the entire process is smooth and easy. You can walk from one end of the trailer to the other causing it to go up and down slowly. If the trailer is up and you want it down, simply put your foot lightly on the rear of the bed and it will slowly come down without effort. Of course there is a latch on the tongue to lock it down when you trail it. I had them install a 2' rock guard across the front, weld on a center tie down lug, and include an extra hub with bearings. Out the door with 5.5% tax the bill was around $3,000 which may seem a bit high until you discover how great it really works. Again mine is a 12 foot by 7 foot wide. Hope this helps.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!