P1000m5 What about a trailer to haul one around in?

J

jeffasweet

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2020
Chimacum, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you are going to want breaks on that any way, 3/4 or 1 tn breaks are about the only thing i would haul 4 to 5 k with out but half ton or smaller you are going to be way over safe limits on hwys or hills. you would be better just getting 14 or 16 dual breaking axles and you will have more that enough, not some where you want to error on the unsafe side. rc trailers are nice good trailers but i would just 6ft6 dual break axle you will be able to stop utv and crap in a hurry they mostly will be 7k total and weigh less than 2, so shelves or benches other quad or atc would all be fine no matter the truck. i always get tekonsha pendulum based controller s much nicer to be able to just set it leave it for the trip. really not that much compared to the 5k trailer and 15k machine they are protecting
No problem. When you are ready to unload, you simply back-up slowly and the hydraulics (one simple hydraulic cylinder) causes the trailer to descend very slowly. Likewise when you load it, the trailer is down and you drive up and the hydraulics cause the front to come down very slowly. I find it easier when loading to have one foot on the brake and one on the gas, but the entire process is smooth and easy. You can walk from one end of the trailer to the other causing it to go up and down slowly. If the trailer is up and you want it down, simply put your foot lightly on the rear of the bed and it will slowly come down without effort. Of course there is a latch on the tongue to lock it down when you trail it. I had them install a 2' rock guard across the front, weld on a center tie down lug, and include an extra hub with bearings. Out the door with 5.5% tax the bill was around $3,000 which may seem a bit high until you discover how great it really works. Again mine is a 12 foot by 7 foot wide. Hope this helps.
That sounds great. I heard someone that had one couldn't get their sxs far enough forward to make it tilt back down, reason I was asking. I'd love to find one for $3K around here. Closest I can get is about $4K w/tax and license, and no rock guard, but for a 14FT: 2020 Aluma 7814S Tilt Top Rail Utility Trailer | Koenig Trailers in Port Angeles WA | Your local trailer dealer near Sequim, Elwha, and Joyce WA for flatbed utility trailers, dump trailers and enclosed trailers No one will negotiate right now due to low supply and higher demand. :(

J

jeffasweet

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2020
Chimacum, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No problem. When you are ready to unload, you simply back-up slowly and the hydraulics (one simple hydraulic cylinder) causes the trailer to descend very slowly. Likewise when you load it, the trailer is down and you drive up and the hydraulics cause the front to come down very slowly. I find it easier when loading to have one foot on the brake and one on the gas, but the entire process is smooth and easy. You can walk from one end of the trailer to the other causing it to go up and down slowly. If the trailer is up and you want it down, simply put your foot lightly on the rear of the bed and it will slowly come down without effort. Of course there is a latch on the tongue to lock it down when you trail it. I had them install a 2' rock guard across the front, weld on a center tie down lug, and include an extra hub with bearings. Out the door with 5.5% tax the bill was around $3,000 which may seem a bit high until you discover how great it really works. Again mine is a 12 foot by 7 foot wide. Hope this helps.
Not sure where my first reply went, apologies if this duplicates.
I had heard of some people with a sxs not being able to get it far enough forward on the tilt to get it to go back down, reason I asked. I'd love to find one for $3K, our prices are closer to $4K without rock guard. Limited supply and high demand right now: 2020 Aluma 7814S Tilt Top Rail Utility Trailer | Koenig Trailers in Port Angeles WA | Your local trailer dealer near Sequim, Elwha, and Joyce WA for flatbed utility trailers, dump trailers and enclosed trailers That's a 7x14, but I figured the extra 2 feet, i could bolt a plastic tub on and have a place to store gas cans etc.

Reactions: Smitty335
S

Snowpro7

Aug 28, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
7x12x7
20200831 193907

Reactions: 1border4manu
D

dook

Aug 24, 2020
montana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does anyone have experience with ATV/UTV trailers that are designed so you can side load a couple ATV's?
I've been thinking about buying one of these. Echo and a few other companies make them.
I have 2 ATV's and it sure would be handy. Currently pulling a heavy 16" double axle trailer without brakes behind a half ton pickup and the weight reduction would sure be nice.
Unlike a regular flat bed, this style keeps the ATV from rolling off if the tie downs come loose.

MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone see a problem with a 6X10 dovetail utility trailer with a ramp? It has a 3500lb rating that leaves 2750lbs for load. It has a rear mounted single axle and 12" sides. I need something smaller when I am just hauling it on short trips.

Reactions: Ridinfool
S

Snowpro7

Aug 28, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone see a problem with a 6X10 dovetail utility trailer with a ramp? It has a 3500lb rating that leaves 2750lbs for load. It has a rear mounted single axle and 12" sides. I need something smaller when I am just hauling it on short trips.

No i have a 7x12 with room to spare
20200908 103830

Reactions: JenElio
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That will work, you might consider a 12-0 trailer to give you a little room for some gear/cooler/gas cans ect.

Reactions: JenElio
IvanGirderboot

IvanGirderboot

Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2020
Greater Denver Area, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Don't forget the weight of the trailer itself, which is probably 800+ pounds. The axle is likely 3500lb rated for GVWR. After the UTV and empty trailer weight, you won't have as much or cargo (which still might be fine if the trailer is < 1000 lbs ).

This is why I ended up going with a tandem axle unit; with a 6.5x14' trailer the empty weight + UTV left only a few hundred for cargo.

MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That will work, you might consider a 12-0 trailer to give you a little room for some gear/cooler/gas cans ect.
Just taking it about 25 miles round trip
Don't forget the weight of the trailer itself, which is probably 800+ pounds. The axle is likely 3500lb rated for GVWR. After the UTV and empty trailer weight, you won't have as much or cargo (which still might be fine if the trailer is < 1000 lbs ).

This is why I ended up going with a tandem axle unit; with a 6.5x14' trailer the empty weight + UTV left only a few hundred for cargo.
I just need something to pull it to another piece of property I own about 10 miles across the county line. They don't allow operation of a utv on county roads like my county does.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!