P1000 What accessories need a relay?

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am about to wire up ( dedicated wire to a rocker switch ) an led whip for the dunes. Do I need a relay? In general what Pioneer accessories would require a relay?

J

JTW

I'm in the middle of wiring crap myself... with a lighted switch I discovered (the way I had wired things) without the relay my rocker switch light stayed hot. I had ordered a Honda accessory pigtail and it will make it an easy fix to just add a relay to get the light off. From what I've read anything that would pull over 5amps you should put a relay on.. your switches are usually good for about 10amps but much more than 5 is hard on switches. I'm like you though... I don't really get the whole relay thing these days. The wires on some of these lights and stuff just don't look very heavy. I can't imagine some of this stuff actually needing relay.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I definitely prefer running relays on anything 50watt. Most switches handle 15amp which is 180watts but they won't take it for very long. On my rig anything that's tied into the factory setup has a relay to not draw off of factory components. I.e. Accessory switch,light switch and reverse switch. I just don't tie into Honda stuff it's not designed to do so but you can. When it comes to lights or wiring I don't take chances and if something were to happen with the factory system I could prove it wasn't from any accessory

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks CP - I know you have a good handle on this stuff and I value your opinion. Can you share some pics of your set-up and/or a simple diagram. I am about to add a switch panel ( currently have a bilge blower , lighted whip, back-up light , and rear work light ) and could use some guidance.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
what are you planning for fuses/relays?
Everything you've got is pretty low power but are you planning more later? Why I ask it's easier and cheaper to develop something now that can run everything later.

Last edited:
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would this work..

Rocker switch panel gets it power from the ignition-on wire as illustrated by Hondasxs

Blueseas fuse block ( see pic )wired directly to the pos side battery ( i already have neg bus bar installed)

Each fused output wire goes into a sep relay

The rocker switch triggers the relay only

Output side of the relay goes to the accessory.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

BS box

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: CumminsPusher
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tjoreo - that dist box looks perfect. just ordered one thanks:cool:

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Would this work..

Rocker switch panel gets it power from the ignition-on wire as illustrated by Hondasxs

Blueseas fuse block ( see pic )wired directly to the pos side battery ( i already have neg bus bar installed)

Each fused output wire goes into a sep relay

The rocker switch triggers the relay only

Output side of the relay goes to the accessory.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

View attachment 25060

Yes that will be good. I did run relay(battery isolator) to turn on/off the fuses/relays directly so as to not use as much factory output for switching and not allow the fuse panel to be powered at all times but this will work fine.
You are thinking correctly for this setup and are on a good path. I would add a circuit breaker prior to anything just off of the battery. It's nice to have added protection and a simple shutdown. A7471d1e2e81fce04d54c4304e9aa1d6
One thing also and I suggest it a lot is to run relay off reverse switch and with that done not only do you keep power to backups separate from factory but also don't need separate power switch to backups and work light. You can either run reverse or switch for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also the cooper bussman is an excellent choice to simply things

Reactions: Remington
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh and relayed switches would get their trigger wire from the switch then out to accessory

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@tjoreo you beat me to it. Yes exactly it works very well and is so much more simple

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great - now for a kinda dumb question - I assume that on the bussmann type bar the fuse is in between the relay and the accessory? if so could you reduce the amperage fuse used to protect the accessory? In other words if I have an LED cube that draws 2 amps will it hurt to use a 15 amp fuse?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes. This is how mine is wired. It's the least amount of power from factory setup. 5 fused go directly to switches then out to accessories- and 5 get there power from relays on the unit and get their trigger from 5 switches. The bussman IMG 6994 gets its power from a separate relay IMG 6996 that goes through a circuit breakerIMG 6995 Clear as mud probably?

Reactions: Remington
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes you could. Either actually because they are pretty low draw. If you have plans for no more then 5 heavy items then do it.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I assume the fuse size should match the relay size?
The relays in that box are the 30amp fuses but doesn't really matter that way. A relay simply turns things on/off so as long as you're not overpowering the relay you just match fuse.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at the listing on ebay, it no longer comes with the fuse. So like @CumminsPusher said you will want a circuit breaker.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looking at the listing on ebay, it no longer comes with the fuse. So like @CumminsPusher said you will want a circuit breaker.

Either way the circuit breaker is nicer then fuse. I wish they'd add a trigger wire and large breaker to the fuse box ! It would make it even more simple.

Reactions: JTW and tjoreo
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!