P1000 What accessories need a relay?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am actually working on wiring mine up right now myself. Through this forum I have found there are many ways to skin a cat. Some guys hook there's up so some of the accessories are ignition dependent while other accessories are hot at all times. The most important thing I have found on this forum are @CumminsPusher , @joeymt33 , @JACKAL, @Hondasxs should be put on speed dial on everyones phone or on the forum. They always have a answer for everything. THANK YOU guys. I always thought it was pretty fun, they are the lifetime and supporting members, but I feel we should be paying them.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One other thing is I don't know if you have a swith panel already made up but @mystic1219 makes some great ones to your specs for super cheap. Might want to check him out too.

Yup ordered one today. So are using the bussmann you linked? If so are the non relayed 15amp outputs switched ( is have switch leads) or just the 30 amp relay switched. Still a little corn-fused. Thx

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The 15 amp fuse just goes through the fuse, power in one side fused out the other. You hook power from here to your switch then out to accessory.

The 30 amp side has power out to accessories directly from the unit and trigger wire in from your switch. Meaning low power through switch to large power out of the box

Last edited:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I do not. I bought one with the full intentions of using it but after talking to jackal and watching his 1000 build I changed my mind. I actually used the blue sea fuse panel you had in the picture. I don't plan on run anything high amp so I just used the fuse panel. The biggest thing I have is the Jensen radio and the fuse that it uses is only 10 amps. I didn't want to muddy the water for you, especially if you want to run high amp circuits. If you have an item that requires a relay I really think the pdm is the perfect way to go and cheaper then building it from scratch. If I recall the pdm has 4 sets of wires. The first is the positive and negative (line side) from the battery. The 2nd is heavy gauge wires coming from the relay (load side) to high power accessories . The 3rd is light wire to the switches that activate the relays. And the 4th is light wire from the smaller fuses of the panel to low power accessories. These will be hot whenever there is power on the line side to the pdm. You can add a switch coming off of these wires and then go to your accessorie. Clear as mud.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know it can get confusing and like I said there are many was to accomplish the same results. If I remember right @joeymt33 has some of his that are constantly hot like radio, but others that have to have the ignition on to run. If you can think of something you want done, these guys can make it happen. Heck @CumminsPusher might just take a rode trip.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks gents

CP thanks for the illustrations. Makes sense now. I am guessing that if I use a hot 15 amp lead to power my switch then I'll need a fuse between the switch and the accessory?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
No other fuses between the box and accessories or switches. Both 15 and 30 side are fused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: txsurfer
advertisement
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went went with CP's advice - the Bussmann dist block is pretty slick. I mounted it in the extra battery box for now.. thanks again for everyones help in the matter..
WP 20161106 013

Reactions: Eltobgi and JTW
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This forum does rock indeed!! I'm on the verge of starting my electrical stuff... I purchased the Bussmann recommended by @JACKAL and it is a quality panel.

Reactions: Eltobgi and JACKAL
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!