HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
School me on 3d printers.

I want to get into 3d printers.
For my 10yo to play with and myself.
What should I be looking at?

Can't quite bring myself to get a bambu.
Looking at the Ender's.
Someone said Anycubic.

My 10yo wants the ToyBox 3d printer.
If I'm going to spend $300 on that, I might as well get a good one.

Help!

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have/use an Ender 3 v2. It is ok for a first printer, but you will spend a spool printing upgrades for it, adding bed sensors, filament sensors etc.

I am seriously considering handing it off and biting the bullet for a bambu x1c with ams.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
School me on 3d printers.

I want to get into 3d printers.
For my 10yo to play with and myself.
What should I be looking at?

Can't quite bring push myself to get a bambu.
Looking at the Ender's.
Someone said Anycubic.

My 10yo wants the ToyBox 3d printer.
If I'm going to spend $300 on that, I might as well get a good one.

Help!
@-Bear-

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Looking hard at this one.
Def4a1a63e28db50182d55bbf06be046

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I have a Flashforge Adventure 4. It's been pretty good. I like that it has a full enclosure and is easy to use. I'd like an Adventure 5 now with the super fast printing speed.

My buddy had an Ender 3 and after he told me all the tweaks he made, I just wanted something that ran out of the box. I don't have time for tweaking on a printer! I need it to print!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Do you eventually want to run production on it? Or just tinker with the kids?
Tinker.
More so learning for the kid then trying to offer a product.
Will product stuff already out there.

I am not skilled at creating stuff. A simple bracket took me 8 months to work out and I had to ask @highpocket74 to get it file. Lol.

I don't want to have to tinker with it for hours each time I want to print something.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Tinker.
More so learning for the kid then trying to offer a product.
Will product stuff already out there.

I am not skilled at creating stuff. A simple bracket took me 8 months to work out and I had to ask @highpocket74 to get it file. Lol.

I don't want to have to tinker with it for hours each time I want to print something.

Go ahead a get a filament dryer too. if the filament sits for any length of time open and unused, you’ll have to dry it. It will not print worth a crap once humidity gets to it.

Typically when I start printing I keep printing constantly for a while.

You have to learn the file types and what works with what. We use fusion because we have a work subscription. Draw something and there is a 3dprint option that creates the STL file you need for the slicer software to send to printer. And of course a crash course on printer settings themselves and all that new terminology. It’s not bad to learn but I do cad work every day so I mostly understand it already or can relate to it.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Creality Max 3D Printer
Black Friday Deal ...
FWIW,
Wife bought this one last year for my Mechanical Eng son.
She also got extra spools and various tools on sale.

Son works with all types at work.
He mostly makes Airsoft gun parts as a Hobbie with this printer.
He says it's a pretty decent entry level - home printer, for the price.
All I've seen it print are magazines, gun parts, scope mounts...animals...
He says his Cad programs work with it too.
I don't 3D print.

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Ok, just got back from hunting grouse. I have over thirty 3D printers that I use for production and another 12 just for play. I know @Hondasxs already said you didn't want to go with Bambu but I can't recommend them enough for the best printer right out of the box. Not only for speed and accuracy, but also just plain easy to use. Someone who has never printed before can start printing within 20 minutes or less after unboxing and running the startup sequences. I own 5 Bambu P1P's for my personal at home printing along with the 1X Carbon and AMS attachment. The Bambu slicer is also very user friendly and only take minutes to learn.

Now, I also learned on and still own Creality printers (Ender, Ender 3, Ender 3 Pro, CR10, CR10S, K1 and K1 Max). I cannot say enough good things about them. However, using these printers will force to learn maintenance procedures, troubleshooting, upgrade procedures, slicer modifications and making changes on the fly. The Ender 3 got me to where I am in my printing adventures. They are cheap and plentiful. Parts for upgrades are a dime a dozen. Also being the most sold printer worldwide (Ender), there is no shortage of knowledge within the printing community on how to get the best results along with solve issues with your prints/equipment.

Slicers are something else. Cura is free and pretty good. Creality has their own, but could use some improvement. Simplify3D is awesome but you have to buy a license for $75 but this has some really powerful tools within it. Plenty of YouTube tutorials on all of these. I am also proficient in all of them if more detailed help is needed.

I am always happy to help in any way. I am expert in Solidworks, so the 3D modeling side is where I spend most of my time and efforts. Learning "efficient" modeling is by far the hardest part you will encounter when learning 3D printing. There are an abundance of sources for models that are shared among 3D printing enthusiast that are already designed for common use/fixes/upgrades (Thingiverse.com, Printables.com, Esty, and forums). 80% of the time I don't really need to model something cause it already exist on these sites, but for the really custom things that are specific to my needs, I need to model and tolerance them myself. I have been doing additive and subtractive manufacturing for 23 years now, and almost anything you choose is pretty user friendly in these days. I would just recommend staying away from resin printers. Good luck and feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

-Bear-

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok, just got back from hunting grouse. I have over thirty 3D printers that I use for production and another 12 just for play. I know @Hondasxs already said you didn't want to go with Bambu but I can't recommend them enough for the best printer right out of the box. Not only for speed and accuracy, but also just plain easy to use. Someone who has never printed before can start printing within 20 minutes or less after unboxing and running the startup sequences. I own 5 Bambu P1P's for my personal at home printing along with the 1X Carbon and AMS attachment. The Bambu slicer is also very user friendly and only take minutes to learn.
On second thought... maybe its a business R&D expense.
Its just price that pushes me away.

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
On second thought... maybe its a business R&D expense.
Its just price that pushes me away.
I can understand price, that is how I came to own Enders. Knowing what I know now, I would put my money on Bambu P1P and P1S. My P1P can print in 4 hours what my Ender 3 Pro does in 39 hours. The Ender is completely reliable and will ALWAYS produce great parts. I just have come into a point where I like to just flip a switch, click a file and get a result, Bambu takes the inconvenience out of the process setup to print.

Here's me in front of my newest 3D printer

view

Last edited:
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Creality Max 3D Printer
Black Friday Deal ...
FWIW,
Wife bought this one last year for my Mechanical Eng son.
She also got extra spools and various tools on sale.

Son works with all types at work.
He mostly makes Airsoft gun parts as a Hobbie with this printer.
He says it's a pretty decent entry level - home printer, for the price.
All I've seen it print are magazines, gun parts, scope mounts...animals...
He says his Cad programs work with it too.
I don't 3D print.
I digress, wow... @-Bear-

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!