P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
4707D399 460E 4C06 8E52 89DCD61BB871
View attachment 125474
This is where the crack is. But that’s where the last one started too.
Caper

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That could also service you for years just like that without a problem, you never know. I’ve had success drilling holes at the end of cracks and failures both. It doesn’t always work. Your crack looks like it probably already terminates at both bolt holes.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Never had the crack, but if it were mine and out of warranty, would try a soldering iron to melt the crack to rejoin and watch what develops. Or, do nothing. If it doesn’t get worst, ride till it falls off.

Last edited:
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
That’s could also service you for years just like that without a problem, you never know. I’ve had success drilling holes at the end of cracks and failures both. It doesn’t always work. Your crack looks like it probably already terminates at both bolt holes.
Yes it does. But how is it happening. It’s the second one. It seems to have cracked over the winter. I looked in the fall and everything was great. Haven’t used it, so don’t know how it would crack.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Never had the crack, but if it were mine and out of warranty, would try a soldering iron to melt the crack to rejoin and watch what develops. Or, do nothing. If it doesn’t get worst, ride till it falls off.
I was hoping you would chime in. The last one I drilled about four holes in each side. It seemed to work for a bit. Then start cracking from the hole. Really weird because, usually, if you drill polycarbonate, it stops the crack.
Don’t know. Because it’s not supposed to crack. So it says on the web site.
Caper

Reactions: Mudder
happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Are you over tightening it?
A remedy might be to make a couple oversized aluminum plates. one outside and one in to sandwich the cracking area. Maybe 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick.

Reactions: Caper and Mudder
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes it does. But how is it happening. It’s the second one. It seems to have cracked over the winter. I looked in the fall and everything was great. Haven’t used it, so don’t know how it would crack.
Caper
I wonder if it’s a regional thing, more extreme cold.....shrug.

Reactions: Caper and Mudder
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I shot some grease into the front slip joint boot at the front of the engine. Mine was doing that 5th gear drive shaft rattle some others have mentioned, and I thought it might help.

To my pleasant surprise, not only did it help, but it got rid of it completely! One less noise.

20190427 111937

advertisement
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Are you over tightening it?
A remedy might be to make a couple oversized aluminum plates. one outside and one in to sandwich the cracking area. Maybe 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick.
There is no real adjustment on it besides the clamp. And the only thing that is adjustable is how tight the clamp latches. It’s so one turn back it rattles. So it’s set tight enough to not rattle. Everything is set from Honda, the only thing you have to do is the clamp, so it’s tight but doesn’t rattle, and the push out hinge at the bottom. It’s almost like the roll bar is a little wide because there is no adjustment on the windshield hinge. Don’t know.
And sandwiching the windshield between a couple pieces of 1 1/4 aluminum. But you still have a week spot. Between each little bolt and nut above and below on the aluminum.
I wonder if a marine silicone would stick the aluminum to the polycarbonate. And put it both sides. Hum.
I was just looking at it. It shouldn’t crack.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 125482

Thermal contraction and expansion could be it. Drill holes larger than bolts for free play, and not too tight. A good response to a FAQ, but you likely already researched it.
Frequently Asked Polycarbonate Question
Except everything drilled and bolted was from Honda factory. That’s the whole deal with the Honda clamps. Supposed to be no adjustment. Just clamp in place.
I’ve worked with polycarbonate a lot in the shipyards. And your right, there has to be free play. A 11/64 hole for a #8 screw.
Can’t get how it cracked just sitting in the garage. In the warmth all winter.
Caper

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Sounds like you are on top of it @Caper , being aware of needed free play. Since cracks have terminated in holes, hope it stops from further migration. I just now put some marine epoxy from a two part syringe to try to fix a crack in a pool filter component. fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caper and Mudwing
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like you are on top of it @Caper , being aware of needed free play. Since cracks have terminated in holes, hope it stops from further migration. I just now put some marine epoxy from a two part syringe to try to fix a crack in a pool filter component. fingers crossed.

View attachment 125524
Maybe I’ll try that with the first one. I’ll make sure it sticks to the aluminum and the polycarbonate. Tape off everything but where I want the aluminum on outside and inside.
Maybe I’ll try epoxy on one and marine silicone on another to test them. Silicone holds aquariums together. But not sure how it will stick to the aluminum.
So how do I clamp the front to the inside without drilling more holes.
Hum.
I’m going to Honda Monday to see if they can figure out why it’s cracking in the first place.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 125524
And Mudder, let me know if that sticks. It’s hard to find something that will stick to plastic.
:)
Caper

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
But the bike has been in the warm garage all winter. It’s been there since November. And it was good in November. Weird.
Caper
I’m sorry brother, I hope you receive some help here on that...:cool:

Reactions: Caper
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Expoxy hard as rock now, waiting this afternoon for full cure time, then will pressure test with pump. I roughed up the plastic with rotary wire bush first.

Reactions: Caper
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I shot some grease into the front slip joint boot at the front of the engine. Mine was doing that 5th gear drive shaft rattle some others have mentioned, and I thought it might help.

To my pleasant surprise, not only did it help, but it got rid of it completely! One less noise.

View attachment 125492
Did you just pull the rubber book back and apply grease, or did you use a grease injector needle?

Reactions: DG Rider and Caper
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!